EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hi, New to the forum: 04 V6 Mustang Convertible Automatic (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hi-new-forum-04-v6-mustang-convertible-automatic-32356.html)

Thatdippedstang 07-12-2015 03:29 PM

Hi, New to the forum: 04 V6 Mustang Convertible Automatic

I'm looking at making changes that result in better fuel economy for my 04 Mustang, i went from 14mpg to 18 mpg by changing my Plugs and wires, as well as trying to adjust the nut behind the steering wheel a little.

darcane 07-13-2015 03:51 PM

Welcome!

I recently sold an '01 Mustang V6 auto Vert. It was a bit of a pig as far as economy, but on a good day I'd get 21-22mpg hwy. I never had any luck getting more out of it, but I didn't try too hard either.

Start a fuel log, it will help you track what works and what doesn't.

Daox 07-13-2015 04:03 PM

Welcome to the site.

Thatdippedstang 07-13-2015 10:10 PM

I have currently increased the tire PSI on it from 35 to 45 PSI, and blocked off the lower grille/bumper openings, the results are the ability to get 30 MPG but the reality is that i have re-entered the stage of the Throttle being an ON/OFF switch more often than before, that is because I just had the ECU tuned and it is just so much fun.

bhazard 07-13-2015 10:18 PM

Well then hopefully soon the reality of it being a V6 mustang (the "old" v6 at that) that is slower to 60 mph than a typical family car of today will set in and you will go back to shooting for mpg lol.

Thatdippedstang 07-14-2015 09:47 AM

I can't wait for my scangauge E to get here tomorrow. Then it should make it more interesting.

elhigh 07-14-2015 03:35 PM

Welcome.

Read up on forum member Ultarc's activities, his Mustang is a generation newer than yours but I can't help but think that you could pick up some useful stuff from him. His Mustang has plenty of go-fast bits, all the power you need (and most of the power you want) and still delivers Civic-like fuel economy when he keeps his foot out of the go pedal.

darcane 07-17-2015 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang Dave (Post 487131)
Welcome aboard, fellow Mustang owner! A few disclaimers - I have no experience with the "Fox Body"...

Clearly. :)

Thatdippedstang 07-18-2015 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darcane (Post 487187)
Clearly. :)

I hade the same thought.:)

Thatdippedstang 07-18-2015 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang Dave (Post 487242)
I must be doing something wrong. I've only gotten under 25 MPG with my '07 ONCE. :eek:

My car has a combined of 20, and I live in the city. Not to mention when I got it there where 85k miles on it (november) and the plugs and wires hadn't been changed, ford recommends every 100k.

The tune put more air with the fuel and gave me better low end torque which is good for the city, and even the higher flow CAI gave be better mpg. Changing the plugs and wires (3 weeks ago) has resulted in better mpg without change my driving style. No:turtle:

I just got my scangauge 3 days ago and just filled up, and it was my best tank 20.2 mpg. Having that display keeps my foot out of the throttle too hard when it's not necessary to maintain or gain slight speed.

And it being an automatic that torque converter, especially of that generation couoled with 1 less gear than the manual brother, does make quite a difference, but hey I've already seen results and that's with still giving the pony a little love when that light turns green on occasion.