EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hi from Ontario, Canada! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hi-ontario-canada-13644.html)

The_Stig 06-22-2010 01:15 AM

Hi from Ontario, Canada!

I just wanted to introduce myself! My girlfriend and I bought a 2010 Nissan cube S w/ CVT earlier this month and we love it so far!

I start a new job this week that will have about a 70-100 km round-trip commute every day, so I'd like to see what kind of fuel economy I can achieve in such a boxy car!

We're not quite out of the "break-in" period of 2000 km (We're at 1400 km so far) so we're not too concerned with tracking L/100km just yet.

I look forward to learning a lot about fuel economy/hypermiling/ecomodding as well as hope to provide some insight (at least from a cube owner's perspective)!

Daox 06-22-2010 07:51 AM

Welcome to EM The_Stig. I'd highly recommend tracking the mileage even before the engine is broke in. It'll give you a better feel and more knowledge of the car and what kind of mileage you will be able to get out of it.

MetroMPG 06-22-2010 02:58 PM

The Stig is on EcoModder. And he lives in Ontario! Who knew?

What part of Ontario are you in? I'm on the St Lawrence River, south of Ottawa.

Friends of mine got a Cube. I have to say I like the funky look. Haven't driven one though.

The_Stig 06-22-2010 04:32 PM

Haha, if the real Stig was on EM I'm sure his contributions wouldn't be quite so wordy.

I'm from the Kitchener-Waterloo area. It's good to see a fellow Ontarian on here.

The cube has been a blast to drive. It's our first car with a CVT, and the lack of gear changes is definitely something that takes getting used to.

MetroMPG 06-29-2010 04:36 PM

Well we know he doesn't talk much, but I thought maybe he typed some to make up for it.

I haven't spent much time driving a CVT equipped car. It'd be interesting to get to know the best ways to "game" it for max MPG, if that's even possible.

EG, things like: Is there a neutral gear like conventional transmissions? Can you engine-off coast it? Can you safely change in and out of drive while moving?

The_Stig 07-01-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 181492)
Well we know he doesn't talk much, but I thought maybe he typed some to make up for it.

I haven't spent much time driving a CVT equipped car. It'd be interesting to get to know the best ways to "game" it for max MPG, if that's even possible.

EG, things like: Is there a neutral gear like conventional transmissions? Can you engine-off coast it? Can you safely change in and out of drive while moving?

There is a neutral gear, however from what I've read (sorry, I can't find the source(s) right now) I don't think it is recommended to engine-off coast it or change in and out of drive while moving. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong because it is something I'm still curious about knowing.

ChopsQube 07-03-2010 12:39 PM

I'm not in or from Canada, but I am a Cube owner! I'm glad to see another Cube owner on the forum though, very much so. :thumbup:

As for ecomodding, all I have done so far is bump my tire pressure up to max sidewall of 51psi (actually just over). I'm now running at 56psi up front and 53psi in the back. This is something you may want to try. It's helped me out some and I have noticed a decrease in rolling resistance. The other thing I did is add some VG's (Vortex Generators) to the roof in the back. From what I can tell, they haven't done a single thing to improve anything. LOL

In the somewhat near future I plan on doing either a partial or full lower grill block, extended air dam, front and rear wheel spats (deflectors), lowering 2" via Megan lower springs and either partial or full belly pans.

Of course, developing and improving my hypermiling techniques will most likely make the largest improvements but the other stuff will add up as well. I drive 100+ miles round trip 5 days a week, so every little bit will help.

Laurentiu 07-03-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChopsQube (Post 182147)
As for ecomodding, all I have done so far is bump my tire pressure up to max sidewall of 51psi (actually just over). I'm now running at 56psi up front and 53psi in the back.help.

How does that feel in a newer generation car, compared to stock pressures ?:confused: When I put mine to 42 psi (back-front), it felt like it's going to just rattle itself to pieces, had to lower it to 36-38PSI, I guess if you drive mainly on highways and smooth roads it's ok

ChopsQube 07-03-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurentiu (Post 182160)
How does that feel in a newer generation car, compared to stock pressures ?:confused: When I put mine to 42 psi (back-front), it felt like it's going to just rattle itself to pieces, had to lower it to 36-38PSI, I guess if you drive mainly on highways and smooth roads it's ok

Ride quality hasn't changed one bit actually, on the highway or in city. Turn-in crispness and cornering is drastically improved and driving in the rain feels better than ever. So far, there are ZERO negative effects. :thumbup: