EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Hi-tech cars: Driver distraction warning in US (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hi-tech-cars-driver-distraction-warning-us-20630.html)

Piwoslaw 02-20-2012 04:11 AM

Hi-tech cars: Driver distraction warning in US

Hi-tech cars: Driver distraction warning in US - BBC News
Quote:

US transport safety officials have proposed guidelines to limit driver distraction from gadgets built into cars.

The planned voluntary rules would cover "integrated electronic devices, including mobile phones".

Officials want distracting functions to be disabled when driving.

In 2010, US figures suggested that "distraction by a device or control integral to the vehicle was reported in 26,000 crashes".

The new proposals include goals to reduce the amount of inputs required to operate a device - the number of buttons to push - and reducing unnecessary visual information.

There are also guidelines requiring one-handed operation and a two second limit on "off-road glances" - the time spent looking at the device.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) also wants built-in gadgets the driver can use to turn-off non-essential functions while the car is moving, and keep them disabled until the car is parked.

In particular they want to prevent manual texting, use of the internet/social media, entering addresses into sat navs and dialling long phone numbers.

Displaying more than 30 characters of text not related to driving should also be prevented, it says.

Electronic warning systems would be exempt from the rules, the NHTSA said.

The first phase of the plans only apply to built-in devices.

However, the NHTSA said that in later phases it might issue further guidelines on the use of "devices or systems that are not built into the vehicle but are brought into the vehicle and used while driving".

This could include "navigation systems, smartphones, electronic tablets and pads, and other mobile communications devices".

Official figures suggested that in 2010 electronic devices were involved in 47,000 distraction-related crashes.

NHTSA administrator David Strickland said consumers wanted more "tools and conveniences" but said the guidelines would help carmakers "develop electronic devices that provide features consumers want - without disrupting a driver's attention or sacrificing safety".

The NHTSA is currently consulting on the first phase of the proposals.

redneck 02-20-2012 09:33 AM

Distracted...???

No...

See... They're concentrating...!!!

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/f...esCAZR2P7C.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/f...6969/Bdwi9.jpg

:rolleyes:

It's bad here, real bad...:(

>

cfg83 02-20-2012 01:09 PM

Piwoslaw -

I'm sorry, can you repeat that? ... I'm sorry, can you repeat that? ... I'm sorry .............

CarloSW2

UFO 02-20-2012 01:16 PM

Seems like an exercise in futility. Before we had idiots texting on their iPads behind the wheel, they were reading maps and books. Sure, disable the built-ins, but how on earth will they keep them from operating portable devices?

cfg83 02-20-2012 01:24 PM

Piwoslaw -

I think the "output" should be suppressed based on what the user is doing. When we talk to a passenger in the car, the passenger is also aware of the outside surroundings and will react to situations (be quiet or go "eeek"!). When the driver brakes hard, the passenger knows what's going on and will stop talking (good). This *doesn't* happen when someone is on the other end of the phone (bad). The interface can also have access to this information, so why not make it go "eeek!" or follow policy X that the user has defined?

Ha ha, they've got radar in cars, why not have all output suppressed when the car detects that the driver's velocity puts them within the "3 second" rule? :

The 3-Second Following Distance Rule | Driver's Ed Guru
Quote:

How the 3-second rule works
The 3-second rule is a simple way to double-check that you are driving at a safe following distance. Choose a fixed point that is even with the car in front of you. For example, a road sign or a building. If you reach that same fixed point before you can count to three, then you are driving too close to the car in front of you and you need to fall back a bit.

This would force drivers to "make space" around themselves in order to use the gizmos. It could also shut down when the national speed limit is exceeded.

CarloSW2

cfg83 02-20-2012 01:27 PM

UFO -

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 288129)
Seems like an exercise in futility. Before we had idiots texting on their iPads behind the wheel, they were reading maps and books. Sure, disable the built-ins, but how on earth will they keep them from operating portable devices?

Ultimately yes, the cat is out of the bag and eating the tuna fish.

CarloSW2

Piwoslaw 02-20-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneck (Post 288084)

Is she videocalling someone?:eek:?:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 288132)
Ha ha, they've got radar in cars, why not have all output suppressed when the car detects that the driver's velocity puts them within the "3 second" rule? :
[...]
This would force drivers to "make space" around themselves in order to use the gizmos. It could also shut down when the national speed limit is exceeded.

It's not just about being 3 seconds behind the previous car. What about hitting the car in the next lane, or driving into a tree/pole/ditch? Or even driving slowly through a neighborhood and watching out for children/pedestrians/cyclists?

cfg83 02-20-2012 03:56 PM

Piwoslaw -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 288159)

It's not just about being 3 seconds behind the previous car. What about hitting the car in the next lane, or driving into a tree/pole/ditch? Or even driving slowly through a neighborhood and watching out for children/pedestrians/cyclists?

I don't disagree with you, I am just glomming one partial solution onto a problem that is already out of control. I'll bet some will propose robo-cars to solve this problem.

CarloSW2

Cd 02-20-2012 04:26 PM

Locally, they tried to outlaw texting while driving, but found that drivers were even more dangerous because whereas before they had the phone up high where they could see straight ahead, now they tried to hide it down in their lap.

On the way to the airport the other day we were talking about this very thing and glanced over at the driver next to us was talking to his buddy on a large in dash tv .

Hopeless !

ProDarwin 02-20-2012 04:28 PM

I'm all for this stuff. Bluetooth is a must have for me in my car. Don't have to touch the phone. All phone calls are made by voice dialing and I never have to look away from the road or take my hands off the wheel.

I feel like all cars should be like this.

On a similar note, I wish the control layout of all cars was like Japanese sports cars. Both my S2000 and my 300ZX had control layouts where the driver never had to take their hands off the wheel (except for the radio on the Z). On the S2K the radio is even blocked off from the factory, so I never even look at it.

Frank Lee 02-20-2012 06:14 PM

It's about time for the subject to get some attention. Nazis like MADD and NHTSA and the various Highway Patrols and whatnot have been pushing their ludicrous "zero deaths" B.S. on everyone, resulting in big fat heavy gizmo-laden vehicles- that people perceive as so safe that they now expect the vehicles to be able to drive themselves- when the main problem all along was distracted drivers. Get the toys outta there and maybe 500lbs of safety crap can go away too.

gone-ot 02-20-2012 06:15 PM

...new and improved high-tech methods to get your name on the annual Darwin Awards Candidates' listing!

larrybuck 02-20-2012 07:29 PM

I still can't believe all the stuff that came on my 1st Silverwing 1983 model.
AM/FM/Cassette/ CB Incredible! I instantly pulled all of that out due to the weight, plus: who needs that distraction factor?

I want to concentrate on the fun of riding, not cheap little toys!!!

user removed 02-20-2012 09:08 PM

The closest I have come to being killed on a highway in the last 5 years is 3 almost head on collisions on 2 lane roads where the other driver was on some kind of mobile device and swerved over onto my lane, more than 50% of my lane, without any real escape route due to the ditch a foot off my side of the road.

The more techy stuff they do to cars to allow less attention by drivers, the less attention the same drivers will pay to what is going on around them. While you may be able to teach a car to drive itself, I doubt you will teach a car to anticipate potential events and preempt them.

regards
Mech

jamesqf 02-20-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProDarwin (Post 288166)
I'm all for this stuff. Bluetooth is a must have for me in my car. Don't have to touch the phone. All phone calls are made by voice dialing...

Good choice of name, then. Are you officially competing for a Darwin Award?

Still haven't figured out why (except for the occasionial 911 call) anyone thinks they need to make a phone call while driving.

SoobieOut 02-20-2012 11:37 PM

I don't see how these so called "smart" devices that will disable electronics in the car can discern if the driver or passengers are texting or using a smart phone.

Three cheers for the nanny state that will make us all safer.

jamesqf 02-21-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorphDaCivic (Post 288230)
Three cheers for the nanny state that will make us all safer.

If you object to the nanny state doing it, let me offer a more libertarian solution: You drive down the road yakking on your electronic device, and appear to be on a collision course with me. My automated anti-distracted-driver weapons lock on target...

ProDarwin 02-21-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 288225)
Good choice of name, then. Are you officially competing for a Darwin Award?

Still haven't figured out why (except for the occasionial 911 call) anyone thinks they need to make a phone call while driving.

Its no different than talking to a passenger (depending on the study you reference)... except I can shut them up with the tap of a button :)

cfg83 02-21-2012 02:22 PM

ProDarwin -

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProDarwin (Post 288312)
Its no different than talking to a passenger (depending on the study you reference)... except I can shut them up with the tap of a button :)

I would say yes and no to that because the passenger is getting at least *some* feedback from the environment such that they can shut up on their own. But yes, some passengers are worse than others.

CarloSW2

ProDarwin 02-21-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 288326)
ProDarwin -

I would say yes and no to that because the passenger is getting at least *some* feedback from the environment such that they can shut up on their own. But yes, some passengers are worse than others.

CarloSW2

Yes, which is why I said it depends on the study. There have been some that show a blindfolded passenger (no visual cues to shut up) is no worse than a normal one. Really though, I don't care. Talking, via bluetooth, during my commute is the least of my safety related worries.

Much of this forum has astoundingly hypocritical views regarding safety...

No driver distractions! But I'm installing a scan gauge and other instrumentation
Big vehicles are evil and handle poorly! But I'm inflating my not-at-all-sticky LRR tires to 50psi to further reduce traction.

Etc.

tjts1 02-21-2012 11:28 PM

The technology is inevitable. This will just encourage car makers to make self driving cars even sooner.

gone-ot 02-22-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjts1 (Post 288440)
The technology is inevitable. This will just encourage car makers to make self driving cars even sooner.

...just "hope & pray" they do NOT use Microsoft operating system -- imagine suddenly encountering a "blue-screen-of-death" at 60 or 75 MPH while hurtling down a crowded highway, at night!

TheMarkofPolo 02-22-2012 03:34 PM

Hmm...would changes like these influence the use of the ScanGauge?

CigaR007 02-22-2012 04:00 PM

For those who have not seen this UK ad on "texting while driving".

**Warning graphic content**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0LCmStIw9E

gone-ot 02-22-2012 09:12 PM

England doesn't pull any "punches" in their Driver's Ed PSA's do they!

user removed 02-22-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjts1 (Post 288440)

Maybe not on a motorcycle.

regards
Mech

larrybuck 02-22-2012 10:11 PM

Yes we trust those computers to do it all right because nothing can ever.......

go wrong......go wrong.......go wrong!!!

Piwoslaw 02-23-2012 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 288585)
Maybe not on a motorcycle.

You'd be surprised...

cfg83 02-23-2012 02:26 AM

Hello -

Well, now, this is relevant :

Let the Robot Drive: The Autonomous Car of the Future Is Here | Wired Magazine | Wired.com
Quote:

Google isn’t the only company with driverless cars on the road. Indeed, just about every traditional automaker is developing its own self-driving model, peppering Silicon Valley with new R&D labs to work on the challenge. Last year, a BMW drove itself down the Autobahn, from Munich to Ingolstadt (“the home of Audi,” as BMW’s Dirk Rossberg told me at the company’s outpost in Mountain View, California). Audi sent an autonomous vehicle up Pikes Peak, while VW, in conjunction with Stanford, is building a successor to Junior. At the Tokyo Auto Show in November, Toyota unveiled its Prius AVOS (Automatic Vehicle Operation System), which can be summoned remotely. GM’s Alan Taub predicts that self-driving cars will be on the road by the decade’s end. Groups like the Society of Automotive Engineers have formed special committees to draft autonomous-vehicle standards. Even Neil Young is getting in on the act: Roboticist Paul Perrone has been busily revamping the rocker’s ’59 Lincoln Continental to drive itself. “Everyone thinks this is coming,” says Clifford Nass, director of Stanford’s Revs Program.
CarloSW2

Frank Lee 02-23-2012 02:40 AM

I think it's creepy. I like to drive... occasionally.

user removed 02-23-2012 07:39 AM

I could write a fairly decent sized book on driving techniques that will probably never be programmable into a self driven car.

regards
Mech

gone-ot 02-23-2012 10:52 AM

...I don't like my Government intervening in MY life, so having it deciding *for me* what route and how fast to drive down to the local McDonald's for a burger is NOT GONNA happen for me.

...I know how to "think" for myself, in spite of what BIG Brother thinks is best for me.

jamesqf 02-23-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 288674)
...I don't like my Government intervening in MY life, so having it deciding *for me* what route and how fast to drive down to the local McDonald's for a burger is NOT GONNA happen for me.

Sorry, but it already has. Forget about speed limits and stop signs: who do you think decided where to put the roads?

gone-ot 02-23-2012 12:52 PM

...ah, but I still have the "option" to decide-for-myself *which* route and road to take...at least for now.

...most roads are initially "guided/directed" by property-rights and ownerships, inspite of "Eminent Domain" land grabs.

cfg83 02-23-2012 02:25 PM

Frank -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 288629)
I think it's creepy. I like to drive... occasionally.

Speaking from a programming POV I don't want it either. Also, anything that is solid state electronic has an "instant failure scenario". For instance, My Dad was telling me that mechanical systems typically fail "gracefully", so you can be warned when something is breaking down. Electronic systems can fail without warning.

What this implies to me is that you need massive(?) redundancy to make it safe. That in turn drives the cost up in a mass production environment that is trying to drive the cost down (conflict of interest). Finally, the ultimate redundancy is ... the mechanical system the car comes with today.

CarloSW2

gone-ot 02-23-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 288731)
...For instance, My Dad was telling me that mechanical systems typically fail "gracefully", so you can be warned when something is breaking down. Electronic systems can fail without warning.

CarloSW2

...tell me about, I'm a retired EE who's wearing a pacemaker!!!

cfg83 02-23-2012 05:08 PM

Old Tele man -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 288740)
...tell me about, I'm a retired EE who's wearing a pacemaker!!!

Boy oh boy, if I had your skillzz then I'd be working on an external gizmo that detects the health of the pacemaker, but does not *interfere* with the pacemaker in the process. Oh wait, it already exists.

CarloSW2

gone-ot 02-23-2012 08:01 PM

...and, my cardiologist wonders *why* I track and graph total battery voltage, current, and projected battery "life" everytime I see him (wink,wink)?!?! -- something about "self-preservation" comes to mind.