EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Hidden grill block in the back of the grill, usefull or useless? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hidden-grill-block-back-grill-usefull-useless-23128.html)

BennyL 08-30-2012 02:57 PM

Hidden grill block in the back of the grill, usefull or useless?

Hi,

grill blocks are very useful to get a higher mpg, but the look of these blocks lokks horrible to me.

Now i got an idea.

The german Opel Calibra was built with several different engines, but its body was always the same. The slowest engine (115hp) as a integrated upper grill block, hidden behind the grill. So it looks like normal, but ther cant get any air trough.

This smaller engined Calibra hat an cw of 0.26, all other engined Calibras had cw 0.28 to 0.29.

I´have no information if this car was sold in the usa, but you will find several pictures with google. Its upper grill goes deep in his front-bumper, so with a block at his end there is a deep hole. Does the air built a "filling" so that there are no turbulences, or is it a very bad aerodynamic idea?

Kind regards,

Benny

Daox 08-30-2012 03:07 PM

Its alright, but not as good as an outer grill block.

IMO if you're that stuck on looks make a nice looking grill block yourself. There are a few examples on the forum.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...cho-15673.html

It takes more time and cost more, but you're the picky one. :)

Gealii 08-30-2012 03:14 PM

it will help with warm up times and depending where your intake gets cool air it could help keep cool air away from the intake making it a bit warmer. It will not have the aerodynamic gains from an external block though

LeanBurn 08-30-2012 03:28 PM

I have tried both in front of and on the back of the grill, there was no measurable difference between the two on the 2009 Corolla. It may be dependant the properties of the grill so your results may be different. However on the 2012 Ford Focus, Fiesta and other cars, they have active grill shutters and fake grill openings etc that all use the "in the back of the grill" construction. If it made a large enough of a difference they wouldn't have bothered to make it look the way they did.

I have mine behind the grill.

Piwoslaw 08-30-2012 04:00 PM

How about a piece of clear plastic in front of the grille? It's almost invisible, and has more aero advantage. In some cases the plastic may be black or in the chassis' color and still be barely visible.

PaleMelanesian 08-30-2012 04:30 PM

I have a plexiglass block on my upper grille. It's visible, but not in your face.

MetroMPG 08-30-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gealii (Post 324905)
It will not have the aerodynamic gains from an external block though

It will still help.

The flow may not be quite a smooth as a well made external block, but it's still better, aerodynamically, than no block at all.

darcane 08-30-2012 05:39 PM

I had one on my truck inside the grill. The way I had it mounted, it would flex and allow air to flow past it and wasn't very effective. I noticed an improvement by moving to the front of my grill.

I think if you mount behind the grill, you need to make sure it will still prevent air from flowing around the block once the vehicle is moving.

Mounting in front of the grill makes this easy, since air pressure will keep the block in place.

Frank Lee 09-01-2012 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gealii (Post 324905)
It will not have the aerodynamic gains from an external block though

I mostly disagree. "Buckets" in the front don't hurt aero much if at all.

sid 09-02-2012 09:18 PM

I had the same experience as Darcane that the behind the grill block would flex at higher speeds and open up a little, leaking air. So it wasn't quite as good as my present external grill block. But it does help.

I also used clear plexiglass for the behind the grill block, so it was really invisible.

meanjoe75fan 09-04-2012 02:49 PM

I doubt that putting the block behind the grillwork would make a big aero difference, for the following:

The front grill on an auto is at--or very near to--the stagnation point on the nose. Thus, the flow velocity near the vehicle is zero, or very close to that.

What happens is that the air upstream of the car "senses" the blockage...and the vast majority of the air flows AROUND the obstruction. This is true of all sub-mach flow. (Sometime look at the "grease streaks" you see on aircraft rivets...the airflow on the fuselage just ahead of the wing has a pronounced upward flow component, as the air tries to fill the low-pressure are on the top of the wing.)

So, keep it under 720 MPH, and it makes little difference. Above that, you want knife-edge leading edges anyways.

PaleMelanesian 09-05-2012 08:57 AM

I'm not sure your cause and effect follow each other.

Correct that the grille is near the stagnation point. (more on some cars than others) A rear block will cause air to "pile up" in the blocked cavities. The rest of the air will flow mostly smoothly over those pockets of air. A rear block should work nearly as well as a smooth outer block.

You do have to get past that pesky problem of the air pushing it in and then leaking around the block. A front block doesn't have the problem.

royanddoreen 09-17-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darcane (Post 324941)
I had one on my truck inside the grill. The way I had it mounted, it would flex and allow air to flow past it and wasn't very effective. I noticed an improvement by moving to the front of my grill.

I think if you mount behind the grill, you need to make sure it will still prevent air from flowing around the block once the vehicle is moving.

Mounting in front of the grill makes this easy, since air pressure will keep the block in place.

Cool just fabricate it so you get just enough air,, thanks

mcrews 09-17-2012 10:42 PM

see the grill block thread in my signature on a plexiglass front block

Phantom 09-18-2012 01:29 PM

It depends on the vehicle if air can go around a behind the grill block. On my grandprix I used plexy for picture fraims and cut it to the grill insert installed and the air presses it tighter. The same is true for my Golf as the grill sits against a support and the air tightens the seal.

minispeed 09-24-2012 08:52 PM

I have an inner block behind my grill which is only about 1/2in deep but I took the grill off used coroplast, black just like the grill. Then used Gorilla duct tape on the edges and it seals perfectly.

Now it's getting time for the lower block soon!