Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 12:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
Porsche Recreates the Original Hybrid

A few of you saw the pages I posted awhile back from the Porsche book I found, which started on the story of Porsche's electric and hybrid cars. While all of this recent talk of Porsche (technically) reentering the hybrid market, the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart, Germany has unveiled their 4 year long recreation of the original 1900 Lohner-Porsche car.

Quote:
The name Porsche has been associated with pioneering innovations in automotive engineering since the beginning of the last century. In 1900 Ferdinand Porsche, founding father of the present-day Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, entered unchartered territory. With the first functional, full-hybrid car in the world, the 'Semper Vivus' ('always alive'), the principle of the serial hybrid drive had been born. In a stunning four year project the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart had the Semper Vivus recreated. 111 years after this ground breaking innovation by Ferdinand Porsche the Semper Vivus will again drive into the limelight at the Geneva Motor Show 2011 followed by future appearances as part of the Porsche Museum collection in Stuttgart.

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues
The Following User Says Thank You to texanidiot25 For This Useful Post:
NachtRitter (02-28-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-28-2011, 01:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
I'm always impressed with the craftsmanship it takes 1) to build the original vehicle in a time when technology was in its infancy and 2) to recreate something from that early time period from minimal information

Thank you for posting the video!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...if you'll pardon the obvious "pun" they've "...re-invented the (electric) wheel..." (wink,wink)!
The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
texanidiot25 (02-28-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
And I thought I was first. Your earlier thread somehow slipped my aging mind. Grump, grump, grump...

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 02-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
And I thought I was first. Your earlier thread somehow slipped my aging mind. Grump, grump, grump...
Do'h, I didn't see your thread about the recreated model, I looked back a few days in posts.

I posted the book pages a while back, but it didn't get a lot of attention.

It's all good!

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues

Last edited by texanidiot25; 02-28-2011 at 12:35 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread