EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   High speed, long distane, high MPG commuter? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/high-speed-long-distane-high-mpg-commuter-14290.html)

Cash68 08-20-2010 11:16 AM

High speed, long distane, high MPG commuter?

I commute in a 91 civic LX 5spd. It's a decent car. I get around 36-40mpg,
and my commute consists entirely of straight highway, which is boring
so I usually travel around 85mph or so. When the civic was 'stock'
and worn out, I didn't like going even 75mph, but now that I've
upgraded the wheels/tires/brakes/springs/struts, it handles 85-95 no
problem. It's reliable. It's economical. It's easy to work
on. I also removed the side mirrors, relocated them inside the car, removed the antenna, and installed flush wheels and lowered it... which improved my MPG from 31 to the 36-40mpg. But...

I'm having some second thoughts. My girlfriend was in a car accident
about a month ago. Someone T-boned her at about 40mph, and she wound
up in the hospital for a few days. Her liver was lacerated, and her
ribs are broken. Her dog, who was in the passenger seat, suffered
from a sheared spine, and is now permanently in a doggy wheelchair.
She was driving a 1998 Mitsubishi Mirage, which is a compact car
similar in size and construction to the civic. This gives me
pause. I mean... yeah... the civic is a fantastic commuter and
all... but if I were to get into an accident, would losing my legs
still be worth the money I am saving? Then again, highways are
extremely safe, due to the lack of cross traffic and fantastic
visibility.... but... I would be lying if I said I wasn't
exploring other options.

I'm wondering if anybody knows of a 'grand touring' type of car, that
is still economical to run. I only need to seat 2 people plus light
luggage, but I am traveling at high speeds for about 1 hour, 4-6 times
a week. The revs are ALWAYS above 4k, and sometimes when I'm in a
desolate section they're just humming away at 5k rpm. Something with
a better gear ratio suited to touring would be great. I immediately
was drawn to a BMW 8 series, as it is one of the all time ultimate
touring machines.... but then it's RWD, and it sucks gas like no
other, not to mention the high cost of upkeep. So then I thought
about something along the lines of a Lexus GS300 or something. Or an
older Acura. I'm not really sure. Really kind of wondering if

I'm not looking for something powerful, just something with good
aerodynamics, and the drivetrain to handle high speeds, but still
maybe good on gas? Something like a 1980s corvette with a 4
cylinder would be flat out PERFECT. Ideas?

Other option is to try to find a new transmission for the civic with
really low gears. Maybe a CRX HF tranny.

skyl4rk 08-20-2010 02:13 PM

I would look at a six cylinder Buick. I don't know for sure that this car would do what you want it to, but I have heard the mpg's are surprisingly high, and I know they are very comfortable highway cars.

Where around Milwaukee can you cruise at high speeds?

Not sure if you are buying new, but here is an interesting 4 cylinder:

http://green.autoblog.com/2009/06/23...0-mpg-highway/

Can it handle high speeds? I don't know.

Frank Lee 08-20-2010 02:27 PM

:rolleyes:

Research what the odds are of such an event then decide if it's worth obsessing over.

Olympiadis 08-20-2010 02:58 PM

Consider installing a rollcage and 5-point harness into the car you have along with a lower gear ratio.
You can get extra safety, keep your mileage, and get some ricer points as a bonus.

Patrick 08-20-2010 03:02 PM

2nd generation Prius with side airbags.

roflwaffle 08-20-2010 04:19 PM

I'd be more concerned about a solo accident. At 90mph versus 60mph your stopping distance is ~2.25 as long. If your car can handle decently at say, 45mph, then it'll take about four times the distance before you can brake enough for your car to handle well given the same speed differential.

comptiger5000 08-20-2010 05:12 PM

One of my dad's friends has a 91 850i automatic. Around town, the gas mileage is as bad as, or slightly worse than what I get in the Jeep (the BMW is about 100 pounds heavier than the Jeep, with a 5.0 liter V12). It's rated for 20 on the highway, IIRC.

For high-speed running, RWD would be a benefit. It's less prone to understeer in fast corners, as you're not over-working the front tires. Plus, the weight balance is better, which helps too.

A Lexus GS300 is RWD, and would probably do decently.

cfg83 08-21-2010 12:34 AM

Cash68 -

Maybe one of those Honda Accord Hybrids? They were a sales flop, but maybe they're worth looking into.

CarloSW2

bestclimb 08-21-2010 09:52 PM

anything newish will fair better than your 90s civic in crash worthyness. Your driving sounds like the kind that a hybred will not excel at. I would suggest a newer honda, or perhaps a saab with wrap around airbags.

Frank Lee 08-21-2010 11:06 PM

I see. Should all the Civics and Mirages that aren't new be scrapped now? How about that nice 240Z deathtrap?

jamesqf 08-21-2010 11:17 PM

You seem to be automatically assuming that the odds of being injured in a T-bone accident are going to be lower in a big car. As has been pointed out ad nauseum, here and elsewhere, that ain't necessarily so.

Meph 08-21-2010 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 189948)
I see. Should all the Civics and Mirages that aren't new be scrapped now? How about that nice 240Z deathtrap?

240z deathtrap! oh no maybe I need to work on installing a roll cage this winter *knock on wood*

robertwb70 08-22-2010 12:01 AM

I'm sure us Geo Metro drivers should be the most fearful commuters in the world :eek: People that ride motorcycles think we're crazier than they are :confused:

ecofreak 08-22-2010 11:22 AM

You'd probably regret a change to a larger car. There's been worse accidents when larger cars are hit by other cars, and the occupants die because of a roll or the lack of sliding/skidding to pool some of the energy of the crash. You'd be better off, probably safer, in a smaller economical car like the Civic.

The best way to avoid side collisions is to never trust a green light. Always wait a few seconds to check if anyone's having trouble stopping their car or is oblivious to the red light.

RobertSmalls 08-22-2010 11:53 AM

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the obvious two seat, high speed, high fuel economy commuter: the first-gen Honda Insight. The Insight is ideal for that task, and it's a really fun car to own. It gets a four star front impact safety rating, same as the '96-'00 Civic. Side impact: not tested.

Patrick's suggestion is the only other reasonable choice, and the only choice if you need side airbags. The Prius has a 17% aerodynamic penalty versus the Insight, but the Prius' engine is probably a little more efficient once you get above 65mph.

jamesqf 08-22-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmalls (Post 189993)
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the obvious two seat, high speed, high fuel economy commuter: the first-gen Honda Insight.

Because he wanted a high-speed commuter car, and the Insight's fuel economy drops quite dramatically above 70 mph or so. You'd be hard pressed to get even 50 mpg in the 80+ mph speed range.

PS: Notice how one's frame of reference can change? After a few years of Insight driving, I think of 50 mpg as lousy mileage :-)

SentraSE-R 08-22-2010 01:20 PM

Show me any car whose mpg doesn't drop dramatically above 70 mph. I won't participate in recommending a car for the OP, who insists on violating the law by speeding and consciously wasting gas needlessly.

But if his GF's accident forces a rethink into driving slower (i.e. safer), then some real FE options become available, and they're all a lot safer.

bestclimb 08-22-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 189948)

Not in the least, I roll in an older civic (in a place where the average vehicle on the road is a 3/4 ton truck) and would not think twice about getting into an earlier generation civic (or similar). I do know however than when I get into a newer car that has been engendered to higher crash survivability standards that I am safer.

Frank Lee 08-22-2010 05:27 PM

People lack logic and I hate 'em. :mad:

euromodder 08-22-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecofreak (Post 189987)
You'd be better off, probably safer, in a smaller economical car like the Civic.

Generaly, you're better of in a more recent car - it'll have far more safety features and better crumpling zones.
The result is that new small cars, are still safer than bigger but older cars.

A small and old car is not exactly the best of rides to be in when you're about to crash.

euromodder 08-22-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash68 (Post 189812)
I'm having some second thoughts.
if I were to get into an accident, would losing my legs
still be worth the money I am saving?

If you're looking at safety, buy a vehicle of recent design - as recent as your budget will allow you.

mcrews 08-22-2010 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meph (Post 189954)
240z deathtrap! oh no maybe I need to work on installing a roll cage this winter *knock on wood*

pppssssssssssstttttttt.........
frank lee is just trying to lower the market price so he can pick one up cheap!!!!:eek:

frank lee.......you should be ashamed for being so transparent!!!!:rolleyes:

user removed 08-22-2010 07:52 PM

My VX is good for about 47MPG at 72 MPH, which although the speed limit is 65, if you go that speed on I64 you will be staring at a suburban grille ornament about 3 feet from your rear window.

Many times I just take the old US route 60 which basically runs parallel to I64 and at 55 MPH is a much more enjoyable drive.

Mid to high 50s MPG.

regards
Mech

Frank Lee 08-22-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 190070)
Generaly, you're better of in a more recent car - it'll have far more safety features and better crumpling zones.
The result is that new small cars, are still safer than bigger but older cars.

A small and old car is not exactly the best of rides to be in when you're about to crash.

Are the new "small" cars really small? Seems like the new "small" cars are all pushing 3000 lbs if not more... how small is that?

dcb 08-22-2010 08:50 PM

Well a smart is supposedly 1600 lbs and takes a beating. Now if it came with a sequential 6 speed and a clutch, mebbe electric reverse, and a diesel ...

It still has all the aero of a tardis though.

Frank Lee 08-22-2010 10:36 PM

Figures- first thing brought up would be the Smart. Think of all the OTHERS.

ecofreak 08-22-2010 10:48 PM

I suggest getting a diesel a la VW 80's Golf.

bestclimb 08-22-2010 11:30 PM

a honda fit weighs in at <2400. I think I know what your getting at frank, I too wish I could get a newer car that had a little less bloat on it.

euromodder 08-23-2010 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 190114)
Are the new "small" cars really small? Seems like the new "small" cars are all pushing 3000 lbs if not more... how small is that?

Yes, many small cars are putting on a lot of weight and growing ever bigger over the years.

The definition of a small car is obviously different on both sides of the Atlantic.
Small on the European side means a VW Polo, a Suzuki Swift / Geo Metro, with the Mini near the upper end.
Regular size : VW Golf, my V50 , Merc C class, Audi A4.
Big is something like a VW Passat, Merc E class, A6, ...