EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Highest MPG small cargo vans? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/highest-mpg-small-cargo-vans-39359.html)

mpghunter 05-03-2021 01:39 PM

Highest MPG small cargo vans?

I live in U.S. and am curious to know what are the highest mpg small cargo vans here? The main criteria needed is the cargo height. Width and length are not as important. Right now I have a 2010 Ford Transit connect. It gets about 25mpg combined. I carry tall light weight objects in it often, like BBQ grills, Bed frames, ect. . So far Im seeing that the Japanese imported Kei vans like the Honda ACTY, are my best option. The ones that can legally be imported to U.S. But I will be driving on the freeway allot, and I see that they are dangerous on the freeway. Also Im worried about reliability of maintenance on a 90's Japan only, car. But it would be interesting to know which is best on the freeway incase I still buy one. Also is there a modern equivalent to to the kie vans, that was sold in America thats street legal? I love that they only weigh about 2000 lbs, and have small engines. Thanks allot :)

freebeard 05-03-2021 02:53 PM

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=OCTO+february

www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/newads.php

I don't have a picture of it, and it's gone from my life; but my 1960 Type II panel van weighed as much as a Beetle but [no glass/heavier suspension] so the the CG is as low. It had [later] 3/4 ton axles and would carry 2/3 cord of firewood. It could back up uphill on wet leaves and drive right over parking lot bump stops.

With a fresh 1600 (dual Solex 40s, single extractor exhaust, Pertronix Ignitor) it got 30 MPG at 55 MPH, over the Coast Range. (Never went 55 again, it could top the Coast Range at 70)

I've still got an engine I built for it, a 1776 stroker. It's the VW Mileage Motor build that would probably get 35 MPG in a Type II.

rmay635703 05-03-2021 06:33 PM

If you can make the dimensions of a Pacifica Hybrid work those get “infinite “ mpgs for the first 20 or so miles after a charge.

I have seen folks “modify “ said vans removing the rear seats and interior, I’ve even seen the roof raised and suspension modified for handicapable transport

Isaac Zachary 05-04-2021 01:19 AM

Too bad GM's 4-cyl turbo diesel it's only available in their large vans and mid sized pickups. In the Chevy Colorado and GM Canyon this engine can get 30mpg. I've heard it doesn't do so bad in the full sized vans either. So maybe a Chevy Express 1500 with diesel option?

Ford also had a 5 cylinder diesel option but I don't think it gets as good of fuel mileage, although I'm not completely sure.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 05-04-2021 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpghunter (Post 647432)
So far Im seeing that the Japanese imported Kei vans like the Honda ACTY, are my best option. The ones that can legally be imported to U.S. But I will be driving on the freeway allot, and I see that they are dangerous on the freeway.

I wouldn't really be afraid of driving one on the freeway.

Quote:

Also Im worried about reliability of maintenance on a 90's Japan only, car.
I have once seen a Honda Acty in Amazon some 12 years ago. Considering how JDM stuff is still quite sought after for export to third-world countries, not only due to cost but also due to the reliability usually pointed out about Japanese cars, maintenance wouldn't also not be a nightmare. Turbocharged ones on the other hand might be more labor-intensive when it comes to maintenance.

Gasoline Fumes 05-04-2021 11:38 AM

Scion xB?

rmay635703 05-04-2021 12:25 PM

The Americanized 1970 Subaru 360 Sambar van gets around 50mpg highway

However it’s too speed is limited unless you do a sedan gear swap and it’s best to do some carb tuning and swap in an electronic ignition

But it requires steady but simple maintenance, whole car can be tore down with under a dozen tools but old school cars had a different maintenance schedule

The good things are that you don’t need to do oil or coolant changes.

I would question that a non-specialized kei car would not fit your cargo

That said some have tried to gas swap miles zx40’s and possibly a kei truck with a specialized box might work

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 05-04-2021 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 647491)
possibly a kei truck with a specialized box

Since the kei trucks and their derivatives made either in China or Indonesia resort to the body-on-frame layout, making a custom body wouldn't be out of question at all.

LingLongRaceTeam 05-10-2021 09:40 AM

Quote:

So maybe a Chevy Express 1500 with diesel option?
The new transit connect 1.5 Diesel was cancelled for the USA... The Promaster City is not avaible on Diesel but the milage would be about the same as the with the old transit connect.
The new Connect has the 1.6 ecoboost engine, but you would need to take care about it to prevent carbon buildup. - Requires premium. But if you drive it "ecomodder" Style you could reach 33mpg and higher. - So that might be the best option...

For a "big" van the Option would be a RAM Promaster Diesel about 24mpg. - Better then the Dodge Sprinter.
higher Displacement (3 Lite), but this Iveco Diesel is one of the best. Powering the bigger vans and military vehicles up to 5 Tons.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 05-10-2021 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLongRaceTeam (Post 647792)
For a "big" van the Option would be a RAM Promaster Diesel about 24mpg. - Better then the Dodge Sprinter.
higher Displacement (3 Lite), but this Iveco Diesel is one of the best. Powering the bigger vans and military vehicles up to 5 Tons.

IIRC the Diesel option for the Promaster was phased out quite quickly.

LingLongRaceTeam 05-11-2021 07:56 AM

If you get em, only second hand.