EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Highest MPG on your ScanGauge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/highest-mpg-your-scangauge-619.html)

Who 01-11-2008 11:44 PM

Highest MPG on your ScanGauge

What's the highest instant MPG you've seen on your ScanGauge with the engine on and under what conditions?

MetroMPG 01-12-2008 12:34 AM

Good question. I tend to watch the average more than the instant (but that will be changing now that I've got my SG2 and I can program the Trip AVG value to show as one of the gauges.

Anyway to your question...

With the engine idling, and the car in neutral, the average mpg shown on the ScanGauge in a glide from 90-70 km/h was 550 mpg. That's the highest I've made a point of recording.

What's yours?

metroschultz 01-12-2008 12:52 AM

I don't have a SG yet, But,
You commented on my intro thread that instinctive P&G was impressive, I don't really think so.
In the 1980's My Dad bought a Caddy with the "new" technology of V8,6,4,. It came with a fuel consumption gage on the dash.
I would run it up to !@@ mph on a downhill slope (my folks live in the Poconos), and push it to N to see where I could get it to.
Best ever with engine running: 77mpg.
It was several runs before I got the nerve to kill the engine ,but,
Bets ever with engine off: 99.9mpg I think that was the electronic limit on his gage.
When I would drive his car I would try to make his average go UP as far as I could.
Meanwhile My brothers thought it was funny as #e!! to watch it go down as you drove around in first gear as fast as you could go. Guess I've always been on the fringe. Nice to know I'm not alone out here.

Who 01-12-2008 01:08 AM

Only 200 MPG, downhill in neutral at 80 MPH on some steep hill in WV complete with truck safety runoffs...

The idle consumption on the Metro is amazing!

Daox 01-12-2008 10:21 AM

Best I've seen is in the Matrix. It must have been kind of a freak incident, but it jumped to 450 one time while engine on gliding. Of course the next second it was back to its normal 350ish @ 65 mph.

s2man 01-13-2008 07:49 AM

Wow. 350, 450, 550 instantaneous mpg! I'm amazed. My car does similar to Who's; The best I've seen on the Cavalier is 180mpg @ 70mph, neutral coast. The Cav burns 0.4 gph at 0 TPS, regardless of rpm: 600 rpm idle, 1100 neutral coast or 2400 coasting in gear.

Edit: Ok, now I'm not amazed. You guys have sticks, while Who and I have automatics. I suspect the SG is taking the rpm into consideration in addition to the injector pulse width. If Who and I could actually get our engines to idle while coasting, we would probably see those high numbers too. Stupid automatics.

P.S. What did the snail say when it hitched a ride on the turtle? :turtle:
Weeeeee!

Lazarus 01-13-2008 09:38 AM

I have an automatic also and 190 is the highest I seen at 60 mph. Idle fuel burn is .3 GPH.

metroschultz 01-13-2008 10:00 AM

You can still EOC in an auto, Be careful tho.
I use the technique whenever I'm in the wifes car, to try and boost her mileage.
Oh Santa, Where is my SG?