EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Hilly-ish freeway driveing. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hilly-ish-freeway-driveing-11675.html)

xj bmx 01-03-2010 11:52 AM

Hilly-ish freeway driveing.

Hope this is the right secton for this.

Im not shure about other freeways in other areas but my mostly traveld freeway (696 for the Michigan guys) is verry hilly not like san fransisco hilly but evey mile thers a bridge and the freeway dips under maby about 10" food and raised over, and as im driveing up and down i can watch my MPG on the SG go up and down about 10mpg.

Is this just like a forced pulse and glide? How should I attack this, or should i just drive like normal in this situation.

MetroMPG 01-08-2010 10:29 AM

What you're describing isn't pulse and glide - gliding happens in neutral, usually with the engine off, though some do it with the engine on.

Your options, depending on what traffic will allow, in order of effectiveness are:

- pulse up, glide down

- Drive with load (DWL): adjust the throttle to maintain a target MPG value on the instant display. Meaning, progressively easing the throttle and bleeding speed on the way up & adding throttle and regaining speed on the downside.

- Constant throttle: less efficient than DWL, but you also lose less speed on the incline

- "Cruise control": what most people & cruise controls usually do, which is feed more and more throttle on the way up to maintain speed, and back off the throttle on the descent to hold speed.

SentraSE-R 01-08-2010 01:32 PM

What MetroMPG said. On longer hills, I cruise control my way uphill, and glide down hill. If downhill speed drops too low, I'll pulse up to speed, and glide some more. Much of my mileage gains come from downhills, so I look forward to them.

Peter7307 01-08-2010 08:02 PM

I have a similar situation here. Long drives with some longish hills and rises and dips.

I use cruise so long as the revs don't jump up too dramatically on the up hill sections.
If they do the cruise is "paused" and I let the car stay in the higher gear and lose speed going up and regain it on the down side and the cruise goes back on.

Pete.

89HF 01-09-2010 02:15 AM

I am able to glide up to about 70 mph in some areas and that carries momentum over the small hills but I commute early in the morning so i can let is coast down to about 45 mph at a crest without backing up traffic. Helps not to be in a hurry or late for work.

bgd73 01-09-2010 11:45 AM

smooth stiff tread, and inertia keeping. AERO thoughts go right by the window (pun), this needs weight or a mimick of it, balance and lubes.

I learned this in an old sube. Maine highways are like that too, with the hills. I do not think they thought of eventual 65mph speeds.
The sube is bizarre in the trait of heavy flywheel, self balanced engine. mimicks weight. Takes a longer hill...

SentraSE-R 01-09-2010 12:07 PM

My best day ever was 165 miles on the Navajo Reservation, with long climbs up tall mesas, and long glides down them. I averaged 59 mpg in my xB milking the momentum down those mesas.