EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   The Hobbit (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hobbit-24636.html)

spdracr 01-14-2013 08:52 PM

The Hobbit

New to the eco world, but not automotive. My commute has basically forced me (my wallet) to learn better driving techniques (quit impersonating the Stig) and purchase an economical car (have fun while saving dough.) With a commute of 160mi round trip per day, needless to say, fuel bills were eating me alive. Though I must admit, working 4 days a week and podcasts make up for the drive time. Actually, don't think I can ever go back to two day weekends.

Oh, almost forgot. The Hobbit (as I affectional call it) is ugly, small, but definitely gets the job done. This 1997 Honda Civic LX Sedan, sports genuine Honda hubcaps, beautiful red paint (looks more pinkish,) and common dents only college frat boys can appreciate. No, seriously... bought the car from a guy whose son drove it to school. No puke filled floor boards, but dents along the length of the car. Only to be described as a kegger gone awry and someone running from bumper to bumper trying to evade campus security. Having built numerous Hondas for myself and friends it only made sense to graviate there.

At this point, I've changed to Synthetic Oil, added tire pressure, and learning P&G. I'm at 42mpg in the first month and hope to gain a couple more as time drives on. Looking forward to learning as much as I can and contributing (when I have the appropriate answer.)

Daox 01-14-2013 09:35 PM

Welcome to the site.

Good on your for at least getting an efficient vehicle. We've had more than I care to count come here with commutes similar to yours driving full size pickups only to whine more when we tell them to ditch the gas hog.

But, the biggest improvement by and far would be to get yourself closer to work. You gotta be wasting 3 hours a day just sitting in a car. Not a way to live IMO.

MetroMPG 01-15-2013 12:48 AM

Since you're already figuring out engine-off opportunities, I'd strongly recommend a kill switch as one of your first mods. Also: instrumentation. Get a ScanGauge or equivalent.

Yeah - that's a heck of a commute. No other options, eh?

Welcome to the forum!

spdracr 01-15-2013 10:19 PM

Believe me when I say, a move is in my near future. Was offered an excellent opportunity and had to act on it. Proof in the pudding will be applying what I learn to city commuting, guess that's part of the fun. Have a couple guys at work interested in my progress - they've mentioned trying it out.

I'm looking at the Scangauge II, grill blocks, and misc. kill switches. My commute is flat with 4 or 5 rolling hills for coasting. First thing is determining the best rpm/speed for climbing to make the most out of coasting. I'm driving while most of the city sleeps, makes for safe experimentation.