Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2020, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Limousine Drift

The pace lap of the Daytona 500 was anti-climactic after this:

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-19-2020, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It's been brought to my attention that nobody cares about this.

So let's turn it into a poll. I don't know how to add that feature, so we can count thanks or comments.

Is this one better?

Old 02-19-2020, 07:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Or this one?

Old 02-20-2020, 01:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Still missing the context of a video game limo with a presidential seal on it.

In principle, securing the boarder is among the main functions of any national government. I've not researched how effective the wall is projected to be. The argument that the wall creates jobs is faulty logic; it's the same thing the left says when attempting to justify extracting tax payer money. The end product has to be worth the expense. We could spend tax payer money to hire people to mow lawns with finger nail clippers, and that would create a lot of jobs, but be a waste.

I'm undecided on how I feel about the wall. I'm tempted to pull a Pelosi and say we need to build it to see how it goes (pass Obamacare to see what's in it).

I was hoping we'd see robots building the wall, using the previous sections as the rail on which to dig out the next section, with the wall acting as a rail system to transport materials.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 02-20-2020, 01:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Tracts and tracts of people want the U.S. to have an open border:

Quote:
To be clear, there are not any countries in the world that operate on a fully open border system. This would mean that people could enter and exit countries at their leisure, which sounds very convenient to tourists and anyone who wants to travel around the world without restrictions. However, this is quite a danger to quite literally everyone involved [w]ithout checking the details, information, and intentions of people before they enter a country,
http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...-open-borders/

Mexico enforces their southern border: https://www.wsj.com/articles/tension...la-11579563320
Old 02-20-2020, 01:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm not deep into gamer culture, so it's foreign to me. I did watch this: The Man Behind The Secret Service Limo VIRAL Video QnA- Don Joewon Song | SLAPTrain •Apr 18, 2016
Apparently it had a bazillion views on Faecesbook and a story on Jalopnik. He talks about the tune (low-pressure street tires, positive camber, etc.) to make it handle in the physics engine. This wasn't algorithmically driven, it was a performance.

I could speak more to the rendering engine. Forsa doesn't handle smoke and haze well at all. No examples of bad collision detection in this one but when they go off-road they can drive right through trees.

On the wall, it sounds like it's already working, 90% or so. I like the idea of robots running back and forth, but I think they should carry a big, hairy eyeball. That would stare at anything suspicious.

What do you think of this design without the anti-climbing plate at the top?

Old 02-20-2020, 04:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

I'm always saying I don't follow politics, but from what I've heard, it seems Trump has pretty well stuck to his campaign agenda. Seems there hasn't been a "read my lips, no new taxes" sort of goof yet. I might get interested enough one day to get a rundown of promises made vs promises kept from recent presidents.

The wall sans "anti climbing" plate seems better to me. The plate at the top creates an attachment point for a grappling hook, whereas this one doesn't. Then again, it seems a simple matter to throw a strap around a pylon and run up it like a tree, so perhaps there should be a plate somewhere, probably in the middle. I still think I'd be able to climb it with a leather belt and perhaps a PVC pole to place a rope with a hook on it to wherever the plate is. Probably few people that want to cross are rock climbers though.

At 20M per mile, I still question if this is more effective than a bunch of lowish flying drones with surveillance cameras and algorithms to automatically detect humans. If agents were placed every 5 miles on average, you'd only need 400. The furthest any agent would be from someone crossing would be 2.5 miles. With drones though, there wouldn't be a need to have agents nearby since they could track and loiter any person for as long as necessary for agents to arrive.

Old 02-20-2020, 02:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I might get interested enough one day to get a rundown of promises made vs promises kept from recent presidents.
I encourage you to care.

The 'plateless' fence seems odd to me. It's more of a comb.

I suppose if you back a tow truck up to it and throw a lasso around the top, it might bend but the sound would be picked up by the sensors.

The fence-top drone would have wheels like a Tinkertoy hub

http://<font size="1">https://userco...520.jpg</font>
with the center of gravity below the fencetop. Battery packs on the bottom and the hairy eyeball on top.

Instead of flying drones, Boston Dynamics quadrupeds with sensitive noses that lurk in the underbrush.

Old 02-20-2020, 02:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

The problem with caring about things which you have little influence is that it's easy to become depressed. I've got a friend who is addicted to following left media and is a huge Obama fan (so by default must hate everything Trump). She's absolutely miserable all the time. She gets physically ill all the time because stress causes a lowering of the immune system.

The trick is to care about the things you can reasonably influence, and let everything else go. I offer my philosophical perspective here, and it's up to others to incorporate it, or challenge it.

I like the idea of a top-mounted wheeled drone weighted by low batteries, and perhaps solar charged. Get a bunch of them spaced out to run a beat on a 5 mile section of fence... the earth falls away at about 1ft per mile. At 5 miles, you lose 5ft of visibility to the horizon. Top mounting these should make them easily capable of 5+ miles visibility.

Apply machine learning so they get better and better at rejecting false positives and identifying real ones.

Old 02-20-2020, 04:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Apply 'Astounding Stories' Art Deco styling. ...with stainless steel tentacles.

Reply  Post New Thread