EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Homemade washer fluid? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/homemade-washer-fluid-5934.html)

wagonman76 11-10-2008 01:07 PM

Homemade washer fluid?

I was just curious if anyone has ever successfully done this cheaply, and kept it from freezing? Washer fluid here is $3-$4 a gallon. Last year I used to be able to find deals on it, not anymore.

MetroMPG 11-10-2008 03:17 PM

It's an interesting question...

There is a "bulk" washer fluid depot (BYO container) at one local gas station, but the price didn't reflect it last time I looked.

Jetta90GL 11-10-2008 07:55 PM

I think washer fluid is just water and methanol and some minor ingredients for color and scents. The big diesel horsepower guys like to use washer fluid for their intercooling water/methanol injection systems. I'm not sure if they buy washer fluid because its cheaper than buying methanol, or if it is more because its already mixed to the correct ratio they need.

Tango Charlie 11-10-2008 08:00 PM

I've been wondering if a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and Coca-Cola would work. But I'm too chicken to try it. :p
I think it might leave a sticky residue...

MetroMPG 11-10-2008 10:08 PM

FYI, your answer may be here:

Windshield washer fluid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who would have thought it would have a Wikipedia page...

2000mc 11-10-2008 11:50 PM

the dealership i work at does the homemade washer fluid thing, i filled up once.... i'm back to store bought now

metroschultz 11-11-2008 01:28 AM

Washer fluid used to be availabe as a concentrate.
I don't remember where I bought it, but I remember one gallon of the concentrated stuff made ten gallons of fluid for your car. 10/1
I would mix it @1/2 to 1/3 of that (20/1...30/1) in the summer so a gallon would last me all year.
S

Dust 11-11-2008 04:23 AM

Just buy some cheap winter stuff, then dilute it, or try water and an alcohol.

BlackDeuceCoupe 11-11-2008 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wagonman76 (Post 71749)
I was just curious if anyone has ever successfully done this cheaply, and kept it from freezing? Washer fluid here is $3-$4 a gallon. Last year I used to be able to find deals on it, not anymore.

Hrm...

I've been making my own windshield washer fluid for years. I buy a gallon of distilled water at the supermarket and add "Simple Green" @ 128:1 dilution, e.g. 1-ounce of "Simple Green" for 1-gallon of distilled water. You can't hardly tell it's in there (by looking at it) so I mark the bottle with a 'Magic Marker'...

I use it for 'glass cleaner' in a spray bottle too - works great and makes everything smell like sassafras!

I've never noticed it freezing in my ride(s), but I live in Arizona.

It snows a fews days a year here, but it never gets below 0*Fahrenheit...

Guess I'll pay more attention this winter! :cool:

Peter7307 11-11-2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackDeuceCoupe (Post 71862)
Hrm...

I've been making my own windshield washer fluid for years. I buy a gallon of distilled water at the supermarket and add "Simple Green" @ 128:1 dilution, e.g. 1-ounce of "Simple Green" for 1-gallon of distilled water.

Same for me.
Works well and is as cheap as you'll get.
Add some alcohol to prevent freezing.

Pete.