Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 10:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Ruint Taco - '19 Toyota Tacoma SR Double Cab
90 day: 23.76 mpg (US)
Why are you Green??? what do you dislike about the green Movement?

I'm green because-

1. I'm cheap, i like saving money.

2. I hate seeing energy, and resources wasted.

3. I love nature, don't want too see the planet destroyed.

I hate-

1. i believe man made global warming is a HOAX.

2. The far left acts like they are the only people that want to preserve the planet.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-01-2009, 01:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I have to go along with the first post on the reasons for. Spent too much of my life not having much of anything to enjoy wasting what I do have, like the outdoors & places without a lot of people, etc. In other words, my motivations run about 20 parts selfish to 1 of altruistic.

Now for some few for the many things I dislike about the "green movement", at least as presented by its noisier spokesworms - a full list would bore you, and likely give me a bad case of carpal tunnel syndrome :-)

1) In honor of the first poster, I really dislike the way they go around believing things. I'm an empiricist: don't talk to me about what you believe. Learn the science, understand the engineering, and show me your data.

1a) As a sub-instance of this, their hysterical "omigawd it's nuclear we're all gonna DIE!" anti-nuclear religion.

2) The watermelons. The ones with the green exterior that's just a thin skin over a red heart, who try to turn every environmental question into a left-right political issue, and a justification for leftist propaganda. Though I'm not all that fond of the right, especially the religious variety, I really, really detest the left.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
When I was a kid, the closest kid around my age lived 5 miles from where we lived. The forest was my playground and the animals, well, my friends. Sounds like a cliché, but that's really how it was. So I guess I'm green because of the environment I was raised in.

I'm also green because I don't like what I see when I look at that picture

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 02-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Had Sunday dinner with the Hari Krishnas tonight and there was a guy at the table organising an 'earthday event'. He was methed up, and a bad ambassador, maybe putting many people off.

The Cruelty Free Shop in Auckland sells really expensive merchandise and crap like frozen lentil pies($4.00, microwaved on a paper plate with plastic utensils), cheap canvas sneakers for $120!!!!(okay they are free trade sourced, but you can buy things same as these at walmart type stores for $19), and overpriced books and foodstuffs.

Many consumers are looking for help in making lifestyle changes, but the alternatives are often just as crazy as the bull they are trying to get away from. Sad.

The worst though are charities like 'Help the Kids' type things which have a Director on a big salary and a big car, and you like look at them a couple of years after they began and often things havnt changed for the better at all, sometimes even getting worse. Sad.

No wonder youth are losing it with drugs and stuff. Corruption seems everywhere...even with the 'good' guys.

Our national zoo puts on free concerts with top music acts. Now they achieve tacit approval from the celebrity youth sector. Before, animal cruelty issues were in the for...

Save the world? Save your fat ass!

However, things do change slowly. I have seen real improvement in some areas, but...Deforestation and loss of topsoil do not get better for a long long time. Look at the old centers of civilizations like the Euphrates Delta. Too many people in too small an area, centralization...cities....like a factory farm.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Rather than answer that, I would recommend some reading on why people bother other people, in or out of the Green, Red, or Blue movements. Index of /jeanaltemeyer/drbob
Old 02-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
What I like about the changes that I have made to go green is that I am doing them at my own pace and seeing the changes affect my pocket book in a positive way.

What I don't like are the hippies representing this movement and getting no respect. Yet the engineers that design a highway system to reduce emissions through a city get no recognition or very little to commend their effort.

Right now the crazies are being singled out as promoters of the green lifestyle, not the everyday american like those of us here, except for you Bennelson and all your wacky videos .. LOL J/k

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 02-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Vwbeamer and jamesqf -

I am basically one of the people you detest. On one hand I don't really care about nature; I'm not pining to camp or hike or spend time enjoying it's timeless beauty. On the other hand I recognize the reasons to preserve the environment for you, me, and future generations. From my POV, it is rational to look for *sustainable* solutions to problems. I want problems to be considered in the context of life cycle assessments that lead to cradle to cradle solutions.

I have a "what if" GW argument that I formulated over the years. However, this person explains what I have been thinking in a much more educational way :

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 02-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

For the likes, I have to echo what others have posted but will sum it up as It's just the right thing to do.

What I dont like is the extremism of it. I dont like when people pre-formulate their conclusions and then try to prove it with science, usually what I refer to as propaganda lies. I dont like the fantasy land where we will all have pet unicorns and there will be no need for fossil fuels because we will power everything with solar power! I dont like the proposition that there will be a wholesale re-engineering of society where we will all live in high density appartments that are only walkable communities. I think this unnecessarly turns a lot of people off of the enviromental movement because it is unpallatable and it deserves the ridicule it gets when it goes that far out on a limb.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Anyone seen Palin's latest diatribe on ANWR drilling? How about the forum responses to it? Man, people can make my blood boil... they are so FREEKING STUPID! Totally immune to rationality and logic!

That's what I need to see, rationality and logic, from BOTH sides.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Ruint Taco - '19 Toyota Tacoma SR Double Cab
90 day: 23.76 mpg (US)
I don't detest you, we have many common goals we share. .

We just disagree on one subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Vwbeamer and jamesqf -

I am basically one of the people you detest. On one hand I don't really care about nature; I'm not pining to camp or hike or spend time enjoying it's timeless beauty. On the other hand I recognize the reasons to preserve the environment for you, me, and future generations. From my POV, it is rational to look for *sustainable* solutions to problems. I want problems to be considered in the context of life cycle assessments that lead to cradle to cradle solutions.

I have a "what if" GW argument that I formulated over the years. However, this person explains what I have been thinking in a much more educational way :

CarloSW2

Reply  Post New Thread