EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Honda civic VX with mini me mod (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/honda-civic-vx-mini-me-mod-23996.html)

thyshallsmite 11-15-2012 04:58 PM

Honda civic VX with mini me mod

Sooo bought a Honda VX, but after doing some digging it seems i got scammed slightly here, the engine is different than the body, has a D16Y7 bottom with a D16Y8 head/transmission and p28 ecu. Not exactly what i was wanting, but live and learn, though anyways, can i even get near the amazing VX mpg with this higher HP engine? or should i just cut my losses and go looking for another cheap VX? or should i go hunt down an engine/ecu for it? I only paid 1500 for it and though it does look like a pig it though it does have some likable upgrades ( lowered, GSR brakes and new exhaust).

arcosine 11-15-2012 06:04 PM

Does it have the vx transmission?

slownugly 11-15-2012 06:05 PM

if it runs good a y8 is rated at about 130 horsepower and my y8 got 40-43 mpg. I got 46 mpg going to the beach. but if you want the 50+ that the vx can get you would have to do a swap. if you can post a pic of the entire engine bay we could recommend if its worth the swap (if you would have to search around for a bunch of vx parts to change it back over)

even if it still has the original vx harness then you would still have to do some wiring anyway because the p28 uses a 4 wire oxygen sensor and they wouldve had to change that over for the y8 to run properly. (the vx uses the 5 wire oxygen sensor)

Rusty94cx 11-15-2012 06:45 PM

That's a popular swap you build sell it to buy a d15z1 and break even. The trans is probably the most important part.

thyshallsmite 11-15-2012 07:19 PM

Has the y8 transmission 5speed manual I'll get a pic up as soon as I can its currently in pieces and don't want to uncover it since garage is filled with ash (garage caught fire)

Ecky 11-15-2012 08:20 PM

Since it "looks like a pig" I'd say you're probably better off looking for another VX rather than swapping out the motor and tranny. As Rusty94cx said, the tranny is probably the most important part.

If you're open to the idea, you could possible get something like a CRX shell and a VX swap for an even better hypermiling car.

Rusty94cx 11-15-2012 09:04 PM

Yeah but that's alot of work. Honestly now that I have both I think a cx is the way to go it's so much less pickey and heck I get 41-43 all day long. I just drive it and no 250$ 02 no egr problems. Alot of people say to just do the crx hf not as pricey of parts. And how much o a pig my cx man I should post pics. Do you need rear wheel wells? You can see into the trunk rockers what are those? But the floor pan and all suspension points are solid best 500$ dollar beater. A year later drive 70 miles a day round trip 6 days a week and all I've done is front pads and rotors. Right now the dash is out to fix the defrost. Broken arm on activation door :(.

Rusty94cx 11-15-2012 09:06 PM

The only way to tell the differences in the trans is to have it out or Rpms on freeway with 13 inch tires ect. They are the same in every way other than the final drive.

thyshallsmite 11-16-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty94cx (Post 340172)
Yeah but that's alot of work. Honestly now that I have both I think a cx is the way to go it's so much less pickey and heck I get 41-43 all day long. I just drive it and no 250$ 02 no egr problems. Alot of people say to just do the crx hf not as pricey of parts. And how much o a pig my cx man I should post pics. Do you need rear wheel wells? You can see into the trunk rockers what are those? But the floor pan and all suspension points are solid best 500$ dollar beater. A year later drive 70 miles a day round trip 6 days a week and all I've done is front pads and rotors. Right now the dash is out to fix the defrost. Broken arm on activation door :(.

Lol i really need to take a pic, looks like Frankenstein, has like some rust in rear quarter panel, but not huge. He slapped on an SI rear bumper too that barely hangs on and looks like its been plowed into like daily lol. Though the front is pretty funny, car is red, but hood is black and rust and the paint is peeling and bumper is black oem as well, oh and front driver's side fender is rust colored. It's got a lot of character to it though lol, i even paint a happy face on it just because it looked so sad lol. Looks even worse now though since it's covered in ash from the garage fire lol.

Rusty94cx 11-18-2012 03:25 PM

My rear quarters can flap in the wind so a little rust get a crappy rattle can job. I just got 2 new fenders for like 25ea a hood is only 70$. Bumper covers are 40 ea. Heck my cx the rear bumper metal part isn't attached to the car it just rattles in the cover. So but 500$ and 40+ all day long a hear later and other than oil changes and front pads rotors and a collier and hose. So cheep. Drive it and see you might have the cx vx trans. On freeway with 13s 65 mph should be at 2200rpms. Hope that helps.