EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Honda CRX Info Needed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/honda-crx-info-needed-11171.html)

paker 11-26-2009 12:57 PM

Honda CRX Info Needed

Hi everyone! I'm planning a conversion from an ICE car to plug in electric.

My main object is to convert the light curb weight car with the largest electric motor I can shoehorn into the engine compartment.

Light weight + large high torque motor = smaller battery back and more travel distance. Thundersky cells will be used.

I'm just starting to plan my conversion and would like to know the distance from the transmission bellhousing to the driver's side motor mount in a Honda CRX. This will give me some idea what can fit with an adapter.

The object of my desire to use in this project is a Kostov 250 volt 11" motor.

Thanks for any help! :thumbup:

SVOboy 11-26-2009 01:09 PM

Unfortunately, I've already pulled the stock motor out of my car, but it's a good bit of space.

Do you plan on using the stock transmissions?

You could probably find the length of the block and add about 2 inches.

paker 11-26-2009 01:37 PM

Yeah I do plan to use the stock transmission. Any chance you can "eyeball" the distance with a tape? The full length of the motor is about 20.625", not counting the width of the transmission to motor adapter.

SVOboy 11-26-2009 02:21 PM

I think you'll have room then. I could take a picture with a measuring tape for you, but I'm using a different motor with an opposite configuration and custom mounts, so I can't tell you for sure what's stock.

paker 11-26-2009 02:37 PM

That would be great if you could! :D

SVOboy 11-26-2009 03:58 PM

Do you need it tonight? It's getting a little dark out. If you can wait for the morning it'll be a better shot. Or you can suffice with dark and hard to read for now and I'll get a better one later.

paker 11-26-2009 04:23 PM

No, whenever you can get to it. This is just early planning at the moment. I do appreciate it!

paker 12-01-2009 06:51 PM

Can anyone help me with this? I have 3 CRX to look at but if an 11 " motor won't work I'll not make the 50+ mile trip look at them.

Christ 12-01-2009 10:56 PM

That's gonna be a tight fit... The D series engine is only some 16-18 inches block length, and there's only another 2-3" of clearance in front of the engine before you hit the frame rails.

You may be able to move the electric motor slightly inside the transmission bell housing, but I wouldn't count on it fitting easily.

The front track width of the car is only 57.1", and the trans comes about to the middle of the car in the front, so you've only got ~30" left, and at least 10" of that is frame and fender clearance areas.

Consider a smaller trans to swap in, or a smaller motor.

Christ 12-01-2009 10:58 PM

You may also be able to shave some of the length off the e-motor you want to use, by pulling the end plates and milling them down. Leave enough meat for the bearings, though.

The Siemens E-Bike that OCC built, they had to remove and mill the plates several times to get it aligned and centered properly above the swingarm bracket, so it didn't bind the belt at all. Look for ways that you can shorten up the motor.

If there's a second housing bolted on the top that contains a cooling fan (not likely), you can probably remove it and use liquid cooling, which will save you some length, as well.