Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Phase-change material for down-sizing cooling system

Old article from Autospeed:
http://autospeed.com/A_110772/cms/article.html

The article describes the device as an intercooler although it is really a temporary heat-sink.
The idea is a phase-change material -or PCM- (in this case a petroleum wax) absorbs heat from the charge when on-boost and 'gives it back' to the charge when off-boost.

This only works because when the charge air is turbo'd the temperature (due to compression) raises passed the wax's fusion temperature (ie. when it turns to liquid).

Since many of the solutions today in tackling fuel economy are about evening out the peaks of a cycle (whether it be hybrids, or fly-by-wire lean-burn), then it occurred to me that the same ought to be true for cooling.

I think I read somewhere that the Prius already uses PCMs to store coolant heat for quick-up-to-temp restarting. So I was wondering, if this idea is true for intercoolers on turbo'd road cars (not race as they are on-boost over 50% of the time) then could a similar advantage be gained by employing a small tank of PCM in-line with the coolant circuit?

Last edited by Air-Hybrid; 06-27-2011 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: bump
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-27-2011, 06:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Unlike the example in the article the use of PCM for block cooling would not be a simple heat-sink, but would be an intermediary, with the wax itself in liquid-state pumped into a specially designed radiator. On current liquid-cooled engines the mass of the fluid has the effect to even-out the temperature load across the driving cycle (ie. it is sinking variations in heat, not only at local hot-spots on the head, but from a moment of hard-driving) - This is why it is not an immediate effect for an electric rad-fan to switch on if you start pushing it.

The intermediate-PCM stage would allow several effects.
1. It could mean a much smaller mass of coolant in the system (although what there was would need to circulate quicker or have higher heat-transfer characteristics).
2. Because the specific heat of the PCM is equivalent to many times that of the same mass of water, the length of time that the engine would be able to be pushed hard for without overheating would be much longer. Looked at another way, if a driver is driving more-or-less normally then the size of the radiator (and it's aero impact) gets smaller.

So, I'm not saying this idea is workable for a mass-produced car of today (unless it's hybrid) due to it having limitations for continued heavy driving. But for the eco-minded driver it is, I believe, a realistic proposition - Remember, just like in the intercooler example in the article the driver is borrowing heat-capacity now to be paid-back later.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-Hybrid View Post
. . .
I think I read somewhere that the Prius already uses PCMs to store coolant heat for quick-up-to-temp restarting. . . .
The North American, NHW20 model (2004-09) has a thermos that holds hot coolant. No phase-change heat storage.

The current ZVW30 model has a heat exchanger behind the catalytic converter to tap exhaust heat and rapidly heat up the block.

Bob Wilson
Old 06-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Thanks Bob.

Any other opinions (or ridicule) on my idea for using PCMs - by anyone?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
IMHO, downsizing a cooling system is not a good idea in general. Current cooling systems do have a phase change temperature regulation. If you look at a modern coolant recovery tank cap they are designed to vent at a given pressure. As your car engine over heats water turns to steam and builds pressure. When the cap vents it allows more steam to be generated. Provided your coolant doesn't drop below a certain level your engine cooling system will not exceed boiling point.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Using PCMs to store engine heat has been researched. It's called a Schatz heat battery.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 06-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Good thread.

" . . many of the solutions today in tackling fuel economy are about evening out the peaks of a cycle"

is always worthy of consideration.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Using PCMs to store engine heat has been researched Schatz heat battery.
Thanks for the link to the previous EM discussion on these materials.
From the way I see it the simple way get the engine up to normal temp quickly is to use an exhaust heat-exchanger. I don;t suppose it takes much longer that using a thermos or a PCM, but it's got to be more simple and less bulky/lighter.

What can't be done any other way is allow for a smaller radiator opening (ignoring adjustable grill blocks). Using a PCM as an intermediate heat-sink should, under all but the most extreme driving-cycle situations, result in the need for a substantially smaller radiator and its aero penalty.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Green frog - '97 Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDI 81kW
Diesel
90 day: 43.1 mpg (US)
Anyone has good examples to show how to set up exhaust heat exchanger?
Basically you need to wrap copper pipe around exhaust and coolant flows through that spiral? How many wraps around exhaust?
How much is it possible to make warmup time quicker?

That autospeed idea seems really good to use it as heat battery - to preserve waste heat that in the morning you get engine warm sooner.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Green frog - '97 Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDI 81kW
Diesel
90 day: 43.1 mpg (US)
UP!
Nobody has not done exhaust heat exchanger?
What about phase-change heat-battery?

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
block cooling, cooling, heat recovery, pcm, phase change