EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   Honda Jazz - 48MPG (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/honda-jazz-48mpg-6844.html)

dwgpilot 01-22-2009 12:23 AM

Honda Jazz - 48MPG

I have been altering my driving habit over the last few months and driven the MPG from 40 to 48MPG. Here in Australia we used litre/100Km. So my little Honda Jazz went from 7 litres / 100Km to now 5.8 litres/100Km. The only thing that I changed was my steady driving behaviour. I still drive at highway speeds and enjoy it very much.

Why would I invest $15,000 - $20,000 Australian dollar to convert a car to electric when I am very happy with this. :)

David

Christ 01-22-2009 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwgpilot (Post 84429)

Why would I invest $15,000 - $20,000 Australian dollar to convert a car to electric when I am very happy with this. :)

David

Mostly because the E-quivalent of fuel consumed using the same techniques in an electric car will usually equal about 3-4 times what you're getting now.

Also, given an investment of $15000, you're probably going to end up with a better conversion than most of the people on here have, with more range, and better overall efficiency. You'll almost definitely see more e-mileage than they do.

That said, you won't be able to drive 400-500 miles or more between "fill-ups". But unless you drive that far in a single day, you've got nothing to worry about. Your fuel comes from any place with a plug-in.

cfg83 01-22-2009 01:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
dwgpilot -

Welcome to EM! Just to avoid confusion, I think you are referring to 48 MPG Imperial :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1232606840

CarloSW2

Daox 01-22-2009 09:29 AM

Congrats on your 5.8 litres/100Km! Keep working on it, you can do much better. There are guys getting 3.8 litres/100km in your vehicle.

dwgpilot 01-22-2009 05:17 PM

MPG Imperial

Thanks guys,

I want to convert a donor car to an EV, but I do not have the spare $$$ at the present time. I will have to save up slowly ( and compete with my wife and 3 boys) :)

I did not know there were different MPG. Here in Australia we only use litre / 100km as a guide for efficiency.

David

cmittle 01-23-2009 08:01 AM

That's very good mileage. In my 08 Fit sport I currently have an average of something like 36. This summer (from 0-4000 miles on the car) I was averaging 37.6. I've broken 40 only once, but my goal is to average >39 on at least 4 fills before I'll be happy. Recently it's been pretty cold (-8 to 20) and my last fill I got 34, so I was pretty happy with that because the weather was so poor.

I can't wait until summer when I'll be getting better mileage to see if I can break and stay at or above the 39 mpg mark.!:turtle:

cory

dwgpilot 01-27-2009 12:12 AM

Melbourne, Australia weather on my fuel economy

The weather here in Australia is not as cold as your home town.

I live in Melbourne, Australia and the forecast for the next 5 days is 40C (or 120F in your country). This is too hot for me, but I guess it helps with the car:)

Bicycle Bob 01-27-2009 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 84464)
Congrats on your 5.8 litres/100Km! Keep working on it, you can do much better. There are guys getting 3.8 litres/100km in your vehicle.

Now I'm confused. In Canada, the Honda Jazz is a retro-styled 50 cc scooter that people ride ON.

RH77 01-27-2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob (Post 85389)
Now I'm confused. In Canada, the Honda Jazz is a retro-styled 50 cc scooter that people ride ON.

Honda Fit = Honda Jazz. Honda used the "Jazz" name for few vehicles over the years.

If I had to buy a new car these days, the Fit is high on the list of non-hybrid vehicles. Sporty handling, relatively low base price, 5-speed manual available, and clever use of space add up to a nice deal. The FE is pretty good too :thumbup:

RH77

Bicycle Bob 01-27-2009 06:02 PM

Thanks. Thinking over names like Jazz, Sonata, and Accord, I wanted to name a vehicle the Song, but I got shouted down.

dwgpilot 02-09-2009 03:40 AM

Honda Jazz = Honda Fit

G'day Bob,
sorry about the confusion about my car.

Cheers

Dave

:turtle:

Bicycle Bob 02-09-2009 03:55 AM

Not your fault, Mate. Canada has a lot of rare car badges. Yanks used to drive up, and get a stock "Mercury Meteor" grille to customize their Fords. BTW, my mum spent 6 happy seasons camping in a Holden wagon.

hummingbird 03-01-2009 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 84464)
... There are guys getting 3.8 litres/100km in your vehicle.

Daox, who is it getting 3.8? I am very interested in knowing what they do to get there...

I myself have a Honda City 1.5L - From the same herd of models that Fit and Jazz belong to... and can barely get 5.2L/100km after P&G'ing till my tongue hangs out...:(

KJSatz 03-01-2009 06:45 PM

Very hardcore P&G with EOC, I believe. And very high psi LRR tires.

dwgpilot 04-01-2009 12:17 AM

I obtain this economy not because of the car but due to my careful driving habits.

seymorerage 04-03-2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob (Post 85389)

Ya I was thinking the same thing and I think you can get about 110mpg!

dwgpilot 04-06-2009 09:12 PM

http://blog.xkmph.com/wp-content/upl...azz_yellow.jpg

This is my Honda Jazz (Also known as Honda Fit overseas)

David

theunchosen 04-07-2009 09:39 AM

lol, I would imagine the Fit/Jazz recieved as much mockery for its name overseas as it did here(US). Everyone in my sphere of influence that it was a stupid name until they put out some nonsense commercials about it being a werewolf slayer, and then it became a "cute" compact.

I tried to convince my parents that they should trade her jeep grand cherokee for one, but mom disliked the smallness. Nevertheless I managed to get her in a civic 2 dr

cfg83 04-07-2009 10:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
theunchosen -

Quote:

Originally Posted by theunchosen (Post 96270)
lol, I would imagine the Fit/Jazz recieved as much mockery for its name overseas as it did here(US). Everyone in my sphere of influence that it was a stupid name until they put out some nonsense commercials about it being a werewolf slayer, and then it became a "cute" compact.

I think the name "Fit" is a play on "lots of stuff FITs in it", and the fuel economy is a sign of "FITness".

Quote:

I tried to convince my parents that they should trade her jeep grand cherokee for one, but mom disliked the smallness. Nevertheless I managed to get her in a civic 2 dr
Replacing the Cherokee would have made sense. My theory is that it's the "SUV for the rest of the world". Large carrying capacity in a small package at an entry level price :

http://www.caradvice.com.au/3922/hon...million-sales/
Quote:

Honda today announced that worldwide cumulative sales of the Honda Jazz have reached two million units at the end of the June 2007.

Released in Australia in October 2002, the Jazz is now available in some 115 countries, manufactured at six facilities in five different countries and delivered to some 400,000 customers annually.

Recently voted most reliable car, the Jazz has been widely applauded for its efficient packaging, superior fuel efficiency and advanced styling - it has also earned the title of Japan’s best selling car in 2002.

Honda Fit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:

Europe
The car has a good reputation in Europe with the UK's biggest automotive survey, performed by the motoring show Top Gear, revealing that the Honda Jazz was the second best vehicle on UK roads (after the Honda S2000), as voted by UK car owners in 2006. The enormous popularity of the Jazz has made it Honda's best-selling model in the region, comprising 30% of all European Honda sales. Top Gear also went so far as to state that Honda Jazz (along with the Toyota Yaris) is the closest to reality car that money can buy, meaning that a Honda Jazz can cover the majority of the automotive needs that man has today.

I couldn't get into the proportions of the 1st gen, but I do like the 2nd gen a lot more. The design aesthetic seems to have been evolving towards an MBenz A-Class, which is cool with me :

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1239114384

CarloSW2

theunchosen 04-07-2009 11:02 AM

I have no problems with the name, just the originally marketing cmpaign in the US was "The Fit is Go!" The commercials were the smallest spot you could buy and it flashed the car on screen said the line and then disappeared, before you could catch who made it.

Once they changed it up and showed some footage of it out and about to give it perspective the car looked far better than ridiculous.

I have test-driven it thoroughly and I loved it. I'm not in the market for a replacement car or thats what I would get. My mother did not want it because she felt it was too small. She is very small and probably feels unsafe in a small car, or at least thats how my dad and I interpret it.

I would love to have one to squeeze it to FEness.

And I like the FIT way better than the A class. I'm not a fan of mercedes at all. Given the a class looks to have a lower Cd, I would gamble it weighs more.

rmay635703 04-07-2009 11:11 AM

I still rather have a Honda Beat Myself

theunchosen 04-07-2009 11:22 AM

I'm looking for a wrecked beat. I need a MRE car to steal the rear drive out of. If it had the engine still functioning that would make life fantastic.

The reason I'm looking for a Beat is its components are much like the Del Sol(US counterpart sort of to the BEAT). If the engine works it would be a straightforward process of dropping everything in my trunk and replacing a few components for. . .more. . .uhm. . .mm. . . Fuel EcoHPnomy.

cfg83 04-07-2009 04:00 PM

theunchosen -

Quote:

Originally Posted by theunchosen (Post 96291)
I have no problems with the name, just the originally marketing cmpaign in the US was "The Fit is Go!" The commercials were the smallest spot you could buy and it flashed the car on screen said the line and then disappeared, before you could catch who made it.

Once they changed it up and showed some footage of it out and about to give it perspective the car looked far better than ridiculous.

I have test-driven it thoroughly and I loved it. I'm not in the market for a replacement car or thats what I would get. My mother did not want it because she felt it was too small. She is very small and probably feels unsafe in a small car, or at least thats how my dad and I interpret it.

I would love to have one to squeeze it to FEness.

And I like the FIT way better than the A class. I'm not a fan of mercedes at all. Given the a class looks to have a lower Cd, I would gamble it weighs more.

I see. The Fit definitely has a "small" footprint. My wife and I were surprised the first time we saw a 1st gen parked on a street. If you don't like small, I can see it how it wouldn't "FIT" what you expect. I'm not a Mercedes fan either, but I like some of their designs like the A-Class and the kinda-Benz Smart 4-Four (RIP). Aesthetically I like the 2nd Gen Fit more than the A-Class.

CarloSW2

dwgpilot 04-20-2009 01:06 AM

Good 5 seater

Quote:

Originally Posted by theunchosen (Post 96291)

When I park my Jazz next to an A Class, the mercedes looks so small.

I can comfortably fit me family of 5 as well as a baby seat. You would be struggling to do that in a A Class.