Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Black Beauty - '13 Hyundai Elantra
HX advice (catalytic converter needed for lean burn?)

Notice: my other thread I sort of branched off and started talking about this. If a mod wants to split the thread or move those posts over here feel free, just making a new thread for the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
Going to check out the 96 HX on Friday. What sorts of things should I be looking for? My car knowledge is improving, but still pretty basic. Anything in particular that you guys know of that tends to go bad on these or anything like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac View Post
You might ask around about how to make sure it's lean burn is working. Not sure you'd be able to tell just from driving it. I'm sure the community can help us with that. In order for lean burn to function correctly, the HX needs:
*The special air sensor
*The stock ECU
*The special catalytic converter setup

Is that all correct?
JMac
Anyways, I think there are some sensors in the cat with the HX which tell it yes or no for lean burn. Can any of you HXperts comment?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Okay so I'm trying to ask the guy about it and it kinda sounds like he's BSing a little now, but I don't know quite enough to say. A little help anyone?

Me:
Does the car still do lean burn? I heard taking out the stock cat might prevent it.

Him:
You have to have the secondary 02 hooked up and I do. A lot of exhuasts don't have a secondary 02 port but the one I have does. so it still does.

Me:
So you don't have the stock cat but it still does lean burn?

Him:
Ya cause it doesn't run a catalyst test all the time. It stops working once the test runs because the cat fails cause it's not there, but once you clear the code it's fine. I have a scantool so I can clear it.

Me:
So how often do you have to do it?

Him:
Only when it sets the catalyst efficiency code which for me has been 3 times in 40k miles.

I thought that was getting checked all the time.... ?

If he's right it wouldn't be a big deal cause I'm planning on getting a scangauge or something, but if this guy is making crap up I don't want to buy from him.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Been googling for a couple hours and all I found was that it's error P0420 and that there are ways to fool the sensor so it will pass the test.

I would still like to know if anyone knows how often the car checks. Going to look at the car in the morning, and would like a little better idea of how trustworthy the guy is.

Even a random guess would be helpful. Thanks!

Reply  Post New Thread