EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hoosier Checking In (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hoosier-checking-12785.html)

LedZepplin77 03-29-2010 06:09 PM

Hoosier Checking In

Hi everyone, my name is James and I am from Batesville, IN. I own a 2008 V6 Mustang and have been modding it pretty heavily as of late. My main focus is power AND mileage and so far that hasn't been a problem.

I currently have:
-Cold Air Intake
-Tuner
-Free Flowing Exhaust
-Larger Tires
-(Somewhat) More aerodynamic front end
-Spark Coil Pack and new Wires
-Regapped Spark Plugs

I was thinking in the future I would get a new throttlebody, headers, and new underdrive pulleys to increase gas mileage. Possibly even some lowering springs to improve aerodynamics.

Last summer I had a record of 34 mpg 50/50 highway/city. It was about 80 degrees over a period of 4 days and that was WITH hills (it's crazy hilly around here).

Right now in the 40's I am getting a PATHETIC 24 mpg's going 80.

Any advice you guys have for an aspiring hypermiler would be awesome!

Angmaar 03-29-2010 06:27 PM

Welcome to ecomodder! Pumping up those tires to max side wall would be a great start to better mileage.

RobertSmalls 03-29-2010 07:07 PM

Weight and drag reduction will satisfy both the go-fast and the fuel economy enthusiast. The most pain-free weight reduction happens behind the front seats.

You'd probably also enjoy an alternator toggle switch and a battery charger.

I'm not sure what your "Tuner" is, but if it re-works the fuel:air ratio map, get rid of it! You get the best fuel economy by keeping RPMs low and the fuel:air mixture lean.

MadisonMPG 03-29-2010 07:43 PM

You bought the wrong car for either one. (MPG and HP)

Mustang Dave 03-29-2010 10:36 PM

Welcome aboard!
If you drive that pony right, you should be able to break 30 MPG fairly consistently without any mods and 32 PSI in the tires. (In my experience.).
I got in the 24's ONCE (24.98 MPG) with my '07 Mustang by running it in the garage to charge the battery a couple of times during the Winter of '07-'08. YMMV.

LedZepplin77 04-10-2010 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang Dave (Post 168334)
Welcome aboard!
If you drive that pony right, you should be able to break 30 MPG fairly consistently without any mods and 32 PSI in the tires. (In my experience.).
I got in the 24's ONCE (24.98 MPG) with my '07 Mustang by running it in the garage to charge the battery a couple of times during the Winter of '07-'08. YMMV.

Ah! I was wondering how you were getting 30! You live in Arizona, nice flatness out there, I am jealous as hell! :p

Mustang Dave 04-11-2010 11:50 PM

I live in the mountains of Arizona. It ain't flat here. I live at 6500', and work is at 7000' with a lot of uphill/downhill between here and there. IMBFOS, but I believe the 6500'+ elevation helps my fuel economy with less aerodynamic drag.