EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   How can I make my own cell phone case? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/how-can-i-make-my-own-cell-phone-31926.html)

Xist 05-10-2015 01:17 PM

How can I make my own cell phone case?

I bought my Stratosphere 2 thirteen months ago and, invariably, when people see it, they ask how many years ago I got it. They insist that it is very old and that physical keyboards are not cool, I need to have an iPhone and use swype.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...MI.pt03_lg.jpg
I never understand why people have such strong feelings regarding completely unimportant subjects. I really like my phone, but I have bought five cases in the short time that I have had it. It is held in place by tiny fragile tabs on the corner, which seem to break for no reason.

I bought double-sided foam tape and will tape my case in place as soon as I find the tape, but shouldn't there be a better way? When I search for DIY cell phone cases, I find garbage made by silly girls who decorate store-bought cases.

Cd 05-10-2015 01:32 PM

I just use my moms oversize glasses case.
I have a ebay Galaxy S III, and it works fine with it.

I don't care if i have the latest case. It works, and that is all that matters.

jamesqf 05-10-2015 01:41 PM

Why do you need a case? I have one similar, except that it also has physical phone keyboard in addition to the slide-out alphanumeric one, and never bothered with any sort of case. (Other than the pouch I carry it and my wallet in when I'm out riding the horses.)

As for physical keyboards not being cool... Well, quite apart from the fact that I loathe non-physical keyboards, my phone costs a bit over $7/month. I think that's pretty cool :-)

California98Civic 05-10-2015 02:04 PM

I like that phone. I have a fairly similar samsung phone that I bought in 2011. It has a querty keyboard that slides out like yours. I'm currently typing this on a 2013 samsung tablet with a touch screen keyboard. The physical is better for typing accuracy, but that is all it is better for. The touch screen keyboard allows a thinner object with a larger screen. I pay $17mo for phone service on the old phone, and make other calls and texts for free using an app on this tablet. My bottom line, I need good hardware and once I have it, I hold onto it until I have extracted all its value. This tablet is amazing for work, for pleasure, for utility.

Don't make a case. Tell how much cash you are not spending on bigger service plans and new phones... move to a pay as you go plan without a contract... that'll really save cash!

redpoint5 05-10-2015 07:36 PM

Looks like a good keyboard. I liked the one on the last Blackberry I had, and would respond to all email messages with it.

Now that I have an iPhone 5 (Work issued), I don't bother typing anything. All I do is listen to Podcasts, which is buggy, and ignore phone calls.

darcane 05-11-2015 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 478791)
I bought my Stratosphere 2 thirteen months ago and, invariably, when people see it, they ask how many years ago I got it. They insist that it is very old and that physical keyboards are not cool, I need to have an iPhone and use swype.

I still use a flip-phone and get asked that all the time. Smart phones are nice and all, but there is no way I'm paying for one for myself. I did finally get one for my wife, but we got an older model (Galaxy S4 when the S5 had recently come out) to cut down on costs.

As for the case, I think those sliders typically have problems with cases because they have to be narrow to allow the slide to function. My wife always had trouble with cases on her old slide phones. I'd say don't bother with one.

Xist 05-12-2015 12:20 AM

One of my friends insists that old phones are better than smart phones. I tell her that I tend to be biased against things that I do not understand, too.

jamesqf 05-12-2015 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 478959)
One of my friends insists that old phones are better than smart phones. I tell her that I tend to be biased against things that I do not understand, too.

I dunno about that. It's not that I don't understand the tech (understatement there :-)), it's just that I don't see what the heck a smart phone could do for me. They're mostly too big to be convenient to carry, but too small to actually read anything on. (My 10" or so tablet is handy for reading papers & tech docs.) The cameras, for all their megapixels, don't take decent pictures. The GPS doesn't have a dog-tracking function... and so on down the line.

janvos39 05-12-2015 02:48 AM

Make a case with 3d printing out of PLA or ABS material.
Design it with an acad designer software .
Also the mount on dashboard or so you make this way

freebeard 05-12-2015 10:01 PM

Instead of a case, get a rattle can of Plastidip S. It comes in colors.

P-hack 05-13-2015 10:55 AM

I only use androids with querty keyboards. It is like having a whole computer in your palm. Never really gave a crap what other people thought of it.

ninetynineSC2 05-13-2015 05:09 PM

I've been spoiled by having a Commando. No need to be careful with it.