EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   How did you choose the name for your car? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/how-did-you-choose-name-your-car-27925.html)

Xist 01-07-2014 11:26 PM

How did you choose the name for your car?

There is an old thread on here http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...name-4827.html, but sometimes I wonder how car names are chosen. Some people think that it is strange to name cars, but here, it seems to be expected.

I wish that I could remember the thread, but someone mentioned people accidentally visiting the site while looking for some celebrity, being confused due to the name of his car. I realized that with as many posts as I make, whatever I named my car would show up repeatedly. Everybody likes bacon, right? :)

Maybe not the Jewish ex-girlfriend that helped me pick the car! :D

Then I wanted to continue the theme, but did not feel like calling my Civic "Sausage."

I do not have any idea what I would name my next car, but I plan on keeping Chorizo forever! :D

I am 6'2" and people often call me "Strider" for the same reason that Aragorn was called that in "Lord of the Rings," although I do not think that ever made it to the movie. I named my first car "Roheryn," which was the name of Aragorn's horse. My second car was "Hasufel," the horse that Aragorn rode until his countrymen brought him his. In the movie, his horse is called "Brego," which nobody seems to be able to explain.

War_Wagon 01-08-2014 05:26 AM

My dad is a good guy, I hope I am half as cool as he is when I am his age. He sold his '62 Corvette to buy a brand new '74 Gran Torino station wagon when I was born. He later went on to quit his really well paying job and start his own company, using the same car as the thing that kept the mortgage paid. He called it the War Wagon. My first eco car was a 4 cylinder Beretta, but after that it was an '88 Civic wagon. It was the car that led me to this site and I still miss that thing even after having to put up with 5 years of rust and it always having wet carpets because it was rusted out around the windshield. After the original Civic war wagon, all my car names just rhyme with "Y" for some reason ha ha.

Frank Lee 01-08-2014 08:59 AM

The "Sport Coupe" is a 2 dr. Tempo. I wanted to mock the excessive use of "Sport" after seeing a Caravan "Sport", among about one million other completely non-sporty things labelled "Sport". When I got my Thunderbird Super Coupe the previous owner was into bling and had added "Sport" emblems, which I promptly removed. I should have put them on the Sport Tempo but instead they ended up on Mowmar Cutoffy, my riding mower. Previous T-Bird owner was not amused.

Mowmar- now THERE'S a name! Perhaps someday I will come up with a car name as good as that one.

The Mercury Tracer is known as the T-Racer around these parts... of course the way I drive it, it's anything but a racer; in fact who else would get pulled over by the cops for going too slow? :rolleyes:

"ShWing"- need I say more? :p

"Moon Unit"- is there anything with spacier styling? Just look at that face. Plus I've always liked the name- thank you Frank Zappa for making me smile.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...psb51b19d0.jpg

PressEnter[] 01-08-2014 11:06 AM

Yeah, I didn't put a lot of creative effort into mine.

Fat Charlie 01-08-2014 11:25 AM

http://www.dmvi.cf.ac.uk/db300/FEP129.jpg

PaleMelanesian 01-08-2014 01:44 PM

That made me laugh. :D

Mine's not very creative. Username + car.

Daox 01-08-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 406191)
Mine's not very creative. Username + car.

Ditto. It works though. :)

RedDevil 01-08-2014 03:03 PM

"Use Rname"....
Should not have chosen that username, it fits the car, not me.
Can we change our username btw? Like "Green Angel" :D

California98Civic 01-08-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 406163)
... Mowmar Cutoffy, my riding mower....

Hahahahahahaa!!!!!!

Mustang Dave 01-09-2014 08:33 PM

First day I drove my Mustang to work, a Navajo co-worker said, "I see you got a white pony!":thumbup:

D.O.G. 01-13-2014 12:52 AM

I'd never named a car before coming to this site, so I just used whatever came to mind at the time.

BoB (now retired) was a Bucket of Bolts.

Zed is a bit obvious (if you ignore the X)...(and don't speak with a 'Murrican accent)

Baa is a BA Astina.

When I finish rebuilding my bike, I'll have to think of a really clever name before I add it to the garage.:p

chefdave 01-13-2014 03:36 AM

naming cars

Hi
everyone i have named most of my cars. only ones not named where alfa romeos. i loved them so much had everything i was looking for in a car. newer versions lack charater. my motorhome was named by my partner got it home after 8 hours driving across northern england to the very top of scotland. she said what a beast thus named beastie. lol. everyone who has driven or riden in it thinks its far from a beast easy to drive and all are planning road trips in it. that was the orginal design brief.

darcane 01-13-2014 12:33 PM

Mine was easy. It was literally written on the passenger side door!

Apparently the original owner had a spiteful ex-boyfriend that kicked the door in, and etched some colorful words and whatnot into the side of the car. Fortunately, it was almost all in the one door, so I was able to replace it before the kids started asking what it meant. It was also part of why I got it cheap.

But the name has stuck.

Xist 01-13-2014 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darcane (Post 407016)
Mine was easy. It was literally written on the passenger side door!

Apparently the original owner had a spiteful ex-boyfriend that kicked the door in, and etched some colorful words and whatnot into the side of the car. Fortunately, it was almost all in the one door, so I was able to replace it before the kids started asking what it meant. It was also part of why I got it cheap.

But the name has stuck.

When I started reading your story I remembered a picture that I saw on Imgur! :)

I wonder how often that happens...

Instead, I would subtly ask for my keys back to get something from my car, and then just drive off! :D

Arragonis 01-14-2014 05:07 PM

It's German, it's big, it's fast.

So I thought of a big German who liked speed.

http://www.oldmagazinearticles.com/i...Goring_Car.jpg

And yes, he was a evil, vile human being.

RedDevil 01-14-2014 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 407198)
It's German, it's big, it's fast.
And yes, he was a evil, vile human being.

And it is an automatic that gets the Göring all wrong ? :rolleyes:

Arragonis 01-14-2014 05:33 PM

Everything apart from the Auto is lovely. A bit like if Hermann stuck to stamp collecting and flying...

cowmeat 01-14-2014 05:54 PM

I named mine in honor of all the hybrid owners who pull up next to me and start smirking, cause at the same time, I'm doing the math in my head and smirking right back. Gotta say, this little car has grown on me, and when it finally dies I think I'm going to bury it in the back yard in the pet cemetery

sid 01-14-2014 08:33 PM

Just describes what it is.

metroschultz 01-16-2014 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 406163)
Mowmar Cutoffy, my riding mower.

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 406272)
Hahahahahahaa!!!!!!

MeToo http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/s...aughing025.gif

I got Captain Slow from Top Gear,
and one of my coworkers called me that after following me to work one day.

yoyoyoda 02-14-2014 09:55 AM

I was watching Xena - Warrior Princess on TV when I registered.

I really prefer Gabriel. H.O.T, but... Xena sounds nicer for a car.

justme1969 02-14-2014 03:26 PM

Shoe fits...

It aint dead yet and its a POS lol.

Fat Charlie 02-14-2014 05:40 PM

Back in the early 90s we got a blue 89 Accord sedan. Our kayak rack gave it a distinctive look, so we named it J. Alfred Roofrack. Al for short. We ended up replacing Al with... a blue 89 Accord sedan. Al, Jr.

Which brings me to some wonderful news: Today I parked Al III in my garage. A blue 13 Fit Base. It's been a good day.