EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   How do you charge your batteries? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/how-do-you-charge-your-batteries-17842.html)

actwithclarity 06-15-2011 09:02 PM

How do you charge your batteries?

How do you know the electricity you're using isn't generated by burning coal (a fossil fuel) or uranium (another non-renewable resource)?

Do you have a windmill in your back yard and can only drive after a windy day?

Do you ask your electricity provider to only route to your house electricity generated by ruining rivers (dams) or killing birds (windmills)?

Do you pretend like you're drawing from the 5% of energy from hydro plants on the grid, and everyone else is using the dirty stuff?

mort 06-15-2011 10:09 PM

I look here.

Thymeclock 06-15-2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by actwithclarity (Post 245328)
How do you know the electricity you're using isn't generated by burning coal (a fossil fuel) or uranium (another non-renewable resource)?

Do you ask your electricity provider to only route to your house electricity generated by ruining rivers (dams) or killing birds (windmills)?

Do you pretend like you're drawing from the 5% of energy from hydro plants on the grid, and everyone else is using the dirty stuff?

Nope. "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

And I don't care about what the Environmental Propaganda Agency says, either.

bennelson 06-15-2011 10:33 PM

Mine is actually CERTIFIED Green!

I used to have a link to a real-time display of a wind plant, where our power provider owned a part share (wind tower #3). I could actually see a chart in real-time of how much power tower #3 was making. It was pretty cool.

Ryland 06-15-2011 11:38 PM

I buy wind power and sure it kills birds, but a wind turbine kills on average a bird per year, you know what else kills a bird per year? each window in your house, the other thing that kills birds is trees, they tend to run smack dab in to the trunks of them, so if you really really cared about birds you wouldn't have windows in your house and you would cut down all the trees, pollution from coal also kills birds along with pollution from oil, refining oil also takes electricity and where is that electricity coming from? the amount of electricity it takes it refine a gallon of gasoline can power an electric car for 20 to 30 miles (depends on the electric car) the pollution from coal power plants is also less per mile driven in an electric car then the pollution from a gasoline car and that is before you take in to account the pollution it takes to refine that gasoline.
So worst case my electric car is running of coal and is still doing less damage then my 50mpg non hybrid gasoline car, reality it's running off wind power, if I visit my parents then it's running off their wind and solar power.
I've also checked in to the batteries that I use along with a number of other brands of batteries out there and at least my lead acid batteries are pretty safe and I would feel just fine with Lithium batteries as well.

actwithclarity 06-16-2011 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennelson (Post 245348)
Mine is actually CERTIFIED Green!

I knew there must be a nut to buy everything, otherwise these products wouldn't survive. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 245364)
I buy wind power and sure it kills birds, but a wind turbine kills on average a bird per year...

Ok ok you're right. They kill a handful of birds, a handful of bats, but their effects on those are relatively small compared with all our other activities. I wonder what else they kill that we don't notice or isn't sensational enough to get in the news. :)

Other effects: pollution created to build windmills, land pollution (% of surface area taken), noise pollution. With enough windmills local and perhaps global climate patterns would be altered.

All the effects of windmills aren't immediately noticeable or deemed significant enough by us to us at this point. But calling them "eco-friendly" is a fallacy. Calling them "green" is a marketing strategy that is not surprisingly growing popular. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 245364)
I've also checked in to the batteries that I use along with a number of other brands of batteries out there and at least my lead acid batteries are pretty safe

That's a new one. :D:thumbup:

Frank Lee 06-16-2011 01:27 AM

What's your point? Thread #1,248 on EV vs fossil fuel? :confused:

BTW, I know exactly where my power comes from; the utility explains it all in their monthly newsletter.

gone-ot 06-16-2011 06:05 AM

...I don't notice any better "efficiency" or lower "cost" between normal electrons and green electrons...both seem to spin the Watt-Hour meter at exactly the same rate.

jakobnev 06-16-2011 06:43 AM

Quote:

How do you know the electricity you're using isn't generated by burning coal
I pay extra to get all my electricity from burning sulphur.

Ryland 06-16-2011 08:15 AM

The largest negative impact that wind power has is that people don't think it's pretty, sure some do but the people who don't like it the most don't want to look at it, the negative impact that it causes like killing a bird per year on average is a weak point to argue because there are so many other things that we do that have a lager impact, same with the impact of building wind turbines! sure they have steel and copper and concrete, but so does every other form of electrical generation and to a point so does your house, but well built wind turbines should last 100 years and they are the cheapest form of new power plants that we can build, the trouble is finding good land to put them on that people don't have hissy fits about how many birds they are going to kill and how they are going to lower their property vaules, I've lived with wind turbines all my life and the first thing people say when they first see one is "I thought it would be louder" why would you think it would be louder???
So we should not be wasteful with our electricity just because we can get it from the wind but if you don't like wind turbines then stop using electricity!
And yes, the bit I said about batteries is a bit off topic but having talked to the battery companies and to the companies that recycle them I feel pretty good about using them, again I'm not saying we should be wasteful and use more then we need because that is just stupid, but I feel better about having lead acid batteries then using gasoline in my 50mpg car.

vpoppv 06-18-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by actwithclarity (Post 245328)

I try to make sure mine comes straight from the least efficient coal plant in America that is on the verge of being condemned. Sometimes I get even luckier and my city fires up diesel generators from the 1950's: those REALLY put out the pollution!! But even then the efficiency of those things blows the doors off the cleanest burning gas car's 15% efficiency.....

MPaulHolmes 06-19-2011 10:14 AM

LOL. In the next year or so, I'll be using the sun on my roof to recharge the car. Now granted, the sunlight won't be able to hit the moss growing on the roof anymore, which may well contribute to a net carbon increase.

bennelson 06-20-2011 12:58 PM

Thank you to the positive responses that EV drivers have given on this topic.

When I first saw the original post for this thread, I had considered deleting it, because is it obviously an intentionally negative, "you just can't win", statement and question.

However, I didn't delete it, because I believe that the underlaying questions of "Are you just moving your pollution somewhere else?", and "Is it really any better than just burning gasoline?", are legitimate questions that we really should ask.

I think most folks on this forum understand that burning fossil fuels is NOT the way to go. (Most members of Ecomodder are actively working to maximize fuel economy, and minimize fossil-fuel use.)

A typical EV usually around 4 times as efficient as its gasoline-burning counterpart. And as VpoppV stated, tongue-in-cheek, even in a worst-case scenario, EVs are STILL cleaner than a gasoline vehicle.

All that said, ANY waste of energy is still a bad thing. Even in electric vehicles, we should still try to minimize number of trips and number of miles we travel and carpool, use mass-transit, bike, and walk as much as possible.

Home-built EVer's realize that electric vehicles are NOT truely "Zero-Emission", but they are one of the best possible options currently available, and a great step in the right direction to reduce carbon footprint and energy use. :thumbup:

PS: I can't say for sure that Actwithclarity was just trying to stir up trouble with his comment. Text on the internet does not have "tone of voice" or body language, which is where most of our communication really happens.
Topics like this one are best debated in person with someone else, preferably over a good beer.

pletby 07-01-2011 12:20 AM

I think you sized up the situation well there Ben.

I'm lucky where I live we have access to the cheapest electricity rates in North America. We have plentiful Hydro electricity that we actually sell to the States. I understand the utility has some messed up arrangement where we actually import 'dirty' electricity at night so we can sell ours during the same time... makes no sense to me. At the same time the utility is constructing two more hydro dams to supply our future needs.

Last month I worked on a farm for a short stint to help out a friend in southern Manitoba. Just across the highway from his Barn stood more giant windmills than I could shake a stick at. Man those are huge! Good place for them as it's always windy there. Now we have wind turbines too.