Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 03:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Air dam construction

This might not be a new topic but let me be more specific on my case. Me and my car are happy with the result of fan conversion that is helpful in traffic and saves fuel significantly. This is to make it works more effective at speed. Likely the air exchange is not optimum yet.

Pic 1 is current condition, practically only upper grill (which is not too big) that lets air going through radiator/AC condenser, while at the lower mouth air only get pass it and through beneath the car. At this moment I put a belly pan (only a splash guard plastic) under the radiator to dampen draggy air that may disturb the fan.

Pic 2 showing more aero work to put air dam (only additional spoiler with mouth in the middle) and deflector (metal plate) with hope there will be more air going through radiator.

I know there are pros and cons how is effective air dam to help cooling and feeds pistons, but let me know this makes sense or not, your experience and your thought please. What I like from this work it helps the look, the car looks bigger.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	current.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	7662   Click image for larger version

Name:	plan.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	7663  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-18-2011, 07:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Welcome to ecomodder, Rimba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimba View Post
Pic 2 showing more aero work to put air dam (only additional spoiler with mouth in the middle) and deflector (metal plate) with hope there will be more air going through radiator.
The purpose of an air dam is to reduce the volume of air going underneath the car, and send it over or to the sides of the car.

Your drawing shows the lower grille to be increased in size, as the drawing extends the opening into the air dam. Don't do that unless you really need the extra cooling.
It'll scoop up more air, meaning more drag.

The idea of tunneling the air through a radiator is OK.
By changing the position of the bottom of the red guide plate, you can control how much air goes into and through the engine bay (=drag).

You can experiment with it to see how much air you really need, and you could possibly make it into a 2-position affair depending on the season.

Reply  Post New Thread