EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   How to get rid of old tires? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/how-get-rid-old-tires-29993.html)

Daox 09-15-2014 01:09 PM

How to get rid of old tires?

How do you guys get rid of old tires? I was helping re-roof my uncle's garage the other weekend and we found some old tires. I told him I'd look into how to dispose of them properly. I googled, but didn't really find any good (free) way of disposing of them.

cowmeat 09-15-2014 01:39 PM

Most of the hillbillies in my area dispose of them (along with shingles, couches, appliances, batteries, matresses, old boats, cars, tree limbs, concrete, etc . . .) by driving out into the middle of an orange grove or way down a dirt road out in Green Swamp and dumping them out. Every sinkhole, retention pond, and empty lot in central Florida has one or more of the above laying around on it

Otherwise, tires have to be dropped off at the county dump, where they charge you several bucks a tire. You can always have a shop dispose of them when getting new tires, but they also charge you.

roosterk0031 09-15-2014 01:52 PM

I take them to walmart and pay the fee. I think its $5. My county landfills charge the same or $8 on rim car or light truck. Walmart's just move convenient.

Sven7 09-15-2014 02:14 PM

You could also try "upcycling" them. Make tire swings and sell them on Craigslist. Fill them with soil and have 'rustic' planters. My mom's horses used an old tire as a toy to bite and kick around, so maybe someone would just take them?

darcane 09-15-2014 02:27 PM

I think you're going to get stuck paying a fee to properly dispose of them.

When I get new tires installed, they always charge a tire disposal fee ($1 ea IIRC). You may contact a tire shop and see if they will dispose of them for the normal fee.

Otherwise, I would take them to your local landfill/transfer station.

tvbd56 09-15-2014 03:24 PM

I saw picture for my tacoma yesterday, there was a guy that used re-treads for trucker tires as a bed mat instead of buying a new one. I know that would be difficult to do with a full tire but I would think with a little bit of time and effort it could be done!

Xist 09-15-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvbd56 (Post 445563)
I saw picture for my tacoma yesterday, there was a guy that used re-treads for trucker tires as a bed mat instead of buying a new one. I know that would be difficult to do with a full tire but I would think with a little bit of time and effort it could be done!

I imagine that would take a fair amount of time and effort. I tried to find anyone explaining how to do that and could not find anything.

Cobb 09-15-2014 05:06 PM

Call your local dump. Ours takes them for free as if you sneak them into the garbage they will mess up the land fill.

cosmick 09-15-2014 06:48 PM

Take them to any farmer who grows corn as cow feed. They use them to hold the plastic down against winter winds.

Cobb 09-15-2014 08:14 PM

You can fillem with dirt and use them like a planter.