Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2018, 04:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Solar house lighting.

I've already got LEDs and solar panels set up and I decided to have a look at solar lights.
There are some frankly risible kits available - panel, controller, battery and carefully bespoke bulb fixtures for horrendous prices, no thanks.
I then happened to run into solar PIR security lights on Amazon some of which come with remote control, multiple modes and remote solar panels.
So far I'm using an 8 element Mpow light for the kitchen (which would be better replaced by a 20, it's underpowered) and two 48 element lights with remote for the bedroom set as low/high (high on movement) and motion sensing in the hall. All secured using automotive tape. For the lounge I'd use lights with remote solar panels. The only slight drawback being none of these have either a remote or easily accessible on off switch.
On guesstimate calculations I'd save between 90-95% of my lighting cost and between 3-5% total (I keep snakes and other reptiles so my heating usage is higher). So far I'm not having problems with battery life, and it's winter with no real sunshine.
This system could save someone a lot of money if they were converting from incandescent or GU10 bulbs, even more than with mains LEDs because the energy component of the cost is free and the light cost is fairly level with a good quality LED mains bulb.
It could also be used in new builds with a battery and micro inverter so the lights could switch between solar/mains on the same wiring loom..

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-18-2018, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Next thread down (LED not that efficient.) has had 40 replies in 2 weeks. Have you looked at it?

"...8 element Mpow light..." doesn't tell much. Pix or Specs?

What I use is iZoom night light. 200 lumens, shaped like a light plate wall switch with a magnet base. Pull it off what it's stuck to and it makes for a[n awkward] flashlight. They use 4 AA batteries so with a solar charger it qualifies, maybe on the low end.

I was expecting the thread to be about q=light%20tube%20skylight like Velux or Solatube.

Apparently, bulbs burn out and LEDs dim with age. There's a lot more in that thread — color temps & etc.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
If your LEDs are powered by low voltage DC and they are low intensity then they are probably very efficient.
The main inefficiencies for LEDs come from the power supply turning high voltage AC to low voltage DC and trying to get too much light from too small a package. LED efficiency is limited by quantum physics once you start passing more than 10ma per diode junction.
I started that post because I was told I should replace my T5 florescent light fixtures that I got for free with "more efficient LEDs".
HA.

The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (02-18-2018)
Reply  Post New Thread