EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Saving@Home (https://ecomodder.com/forum/saving-home.html)
-   -   How much does your home fuel cost? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/how-much-does-your-home-fuel-cost-468.html)

jwxr7 12-30-2007 04:11 PM

How much does your home fuel cost?

Just wondering what costs people are facing for home heating fuel right now around the nation.

I use propane for primary heat via boiler (which also heats domestic hot water) and try to only fill once a year with my 500 gal tank. I use a wood burning insert as often as possible to keep my boiler from firing up too often. I filled over 300 gallons this fall at $1.899/gal (the most I've ever paid per gallon). I called the other day for curiosity's sake and it is $2.359/gal now :eek:. At those prices it's actually cheaper to use electric resistance heat than propane, in my case . I think natural gas in my area is less than half the cost of propane per btu. Makes me glad I started this heating season with 14 face cords of wood .

I remember when I first bought my house in 1999 and propane was $0.59/ gal.

Who 01-02-2008 01:07 AM

In the Toronto area, natural gas works out to just under $0.50 per cubic meter which is 36000 BTUs roughly and a litre of #2 heating oil has about 38000 BTUs gross and costs about $0.85.

jwxr7 01-03-2008 08:34 AM

interesting, thanks for the reply.
I think I've seen a gallon of propane as having between 90,000 to 95,000 btus. My boiler runs 80-85% efficient and electric resistance heat is pretty much 100% efficient at 3412 btus per kilowatt hour.

DonEaston 01-04-2008 09:15 AM

Wow, GREAT thread!

My home is not very eco-friendly at all. I have to fill my 500-gallon propane tank twice a year. This last time, in November, is cost me $1.75/gallon. I think last year is was $1.64, so it's gone up a little.

In fact, I'm getting low, and ready for my second tank... fun, fun!

We burn wood in our fireplace when we have time to watch it, but that's pretty rare...

Between the house and garage, and barn, we only use about $35.00 per month in electricity, but she sure does breathe the propane... My garage could supposedly be heated off the same tank. I'd hate to think how many tanks I'd need if I lit that baby up!

krousdb 01-05-2008 08:35 AM

Home heating and cooling costs was one factor contributing to my decision to move from Pittsburgh to Raliegh. I paid $1200 less in 2007 (Raliegh) than in 2006 (Pittsburgh). Mostly due to a change from natural gas heat to dual electric heat pumps.

bennelson 01-11-2008 12:10 AM

I have a 1500 square foot house. I think wall insulation is R19.

My furnace, stove, water heater and dryer are all natural gas.

I am on a budget plan, so I pay the same amount everymonth year round.

It has been $77 a month for gas. A while ago, I turned down the water heater a bit. On my new gas bill, it said my bill would be going down to under $60 a month.

I also have a small woodstove in my kitche/livingroom. It heats the living area nicely. I run it for a few hours most days of the week in the winter. Not huge cords of wood, just scrap I get from a local cabinet shop and some nicer short logs I split from downed trees on my parents property which isn't too far away.

metroschultz 01-11-2008 11:14 PM

I live in Va. near the coast, getting a weee bit of help from the remaining heat of the Gulf Stream, and a lot of help from my Wifey (thanx to mother nature and menopause) I pay $60 amonth in the winter for piped gas, and ~ $25 in the summer to keep it on for the stove and water heater.
Thats one of the reasons I live in the most temperate area I could find. S.