EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   ? How much EV1 DNA did GM put into the Volt? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/how-much-ev1-dna-did-gm-put-into-32726.html)

ChewChewTrain 09-08-2015 08:54 PM

? How much EV1 DNA did GM put into the Volt?

Just wondering if GM put the lessons learned from building the EV1 into the Volt OR was all that valuable knowledge lost when GM crushed all the EV1s.

freebeard 09-08-2015 08:59 PM

It was 20 years ago, a lot of the senior people probably are retired.

After we went to the Moon, NASA burnt the blueprints. GM may have done the same.

gone-ot 09-09-2015 01:08 AM

Well, the little "Body by Fisher" logo is definitely gone!

markweatherill 09-09-2015 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 492680)
After we went to the Moon, NASA burnt the blueprints. GM may have done the same.

What, we went to the moon? Hold on, maybe the EV1 was a hoax too! I mean, I've never seen one.:turtle:

niky 09-09-2015 05:03 AM

I'd wager the honest answer is little to none. The Volt is based off of the Cruze platform, using completely different battery chemistry and hybrid technology.

freebeard 09-09-2015 01:41 PM

markweatherill -- Of course we went to the Moon. You can point a laser at the reflector that was left there.

What I don't understand is why they run a chemical rocket program in parallel with the antigravity stuff.

And there's an EV1 in America's Car Museum in Tacoma WA.

Old Tele man -- :)

2000mc 09-09-2015 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niky (Post 492713)
I'd wager the honest answer is little to none. The Volt is based off of the Cruze platform...

I was thinking there was probably as much in the platform as any aspect. The ev1 / s-series became the ion / cobalt, which became the Volt / Cruze

niky 09-09-2015 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000mc (Post 492819)
I was thinking there was probably as much in the platform as any aspect. The ev1 / s-series became the ion / cobalt, which became the Volt / Cruze

I'm pretty sure the EV1 was not on the same kind of chassis. To make a lightweight EV, you need to integrate the batteries into the chassis. Indeed, looking it up, it uses a backbone chassis with the batteries integrated into the central backbone.

Wasn't aware of the connection of Cruze to Cobalt. Yes, according to Wikipedia, one was Delta I and the other Delta II, but I am not aware of any connection between the two platforms, as the latter was developed by Opel, not GM.

Furthermore, the engineering for the Cruze took place mostly at Daewoo/GMDAT, where it was designed as a replacement for the Lacetti (Suzuki Forenza to yon Americans) further distancing it from the US-only Cobalt.

user removed 09-09-2015 09:58 PM

I saw an EV1 at Virginia Tech. The engineering students did not think much of it, called it junk. Maybe that's why they crushed them. I did not look at it closely or question the students about why they felt that way about the car.

regards
mech

euromodder 09-10-2015 12:17 PM

Probably because it didn't go 400mph

gone-ot 09-12-2015 04:36 PM

Yes, the Cruze is basically a DAEWOO-redesign of their Lacetti...with GM trims. Remember, soon after the design process, DAEWOO Korea was FULLY bought by GM.

niky 09-14-2015 01:37 AM

Lord knows why... it was always the worst of the Korean big three... :D