Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 11:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonMPG View Post
A friend of mine bought a H2 for a 6 mile trip to school. Never heating the engine up. I doubt he can do the round trip on 2 gallons of gas.
Hahahaha!!!

I should reiterate on my last post that these trucks are being used for their daily commuter.

They haul nothing with them. For that matter they cringe on the thought of something could scratch the inside of the bed.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-22-2009, 01:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
Hahahaha!!!

I should reiterate on my last post that these trucks are being used for their daily commuter.

They haul nothing with them. For that matter they cringe on the thought of something could scratch the inside of the bed.
In a past life, I'd have keyed those trucks.

If I had to chance a guess, I'd say that finding hyper-milers on the road follows the rule of traffic - If they're hypermilers, they're driving the same way you are, which means that on average, for every 4 miles you travel, they have also traveled 4 miles, probably in a direction not close to yours.

I'm sure they're out there, but as long as you're going to keep driving the way you drive, you won't notice them. You only (psychologically) notice things that stand out to you, and since hypermiling is the norm for us, we don't notice other hypermilers as readily as we notice the real-world norm, which is non-hypermilers.

That's just my opinion, I guess. I doubt it's actually true, but it sounded nice.

I have noticed over the years that whenever I see a vehicle I like for sale, I start noticing that EVERYONE (seemingly) drives that same kind of vehicle, where NOBODY (again, seemingly) drove it just a few days prior.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
pgfpro -

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
This really drives me crazy.

I'm out trying to let friends know that the fuel cost are going to increase and they just look at me like I'm lost.

You can't lecture. All you can do is lead by example and wait for them to come to you (when gas prices increase, that is ... ).

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
The Following User Says Thank You to cfg83 For This Useful Post:
RH77 (08-25-2009)
Old 08-22-2009, 03:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

There are three known in my town of 62587. Two that are members of this site and cmpg including myself. So I could safely assume that if there were 300 dedicated hypermilers in my town it would still be less than a half of a percent of our population. - Dale
Old 08-22-2009, 07:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
Relevance is irrelevant!

CR-EX - '12 Honda CR-Z EX
Send a message via Yahoo to bluetwo
Quote:
Originally Posted by drimportracing View Post
There are three known in my town of 62587. Two that are members of this site and cmpg including myself. So I could safely assume that if there were 300 dedicated hypermilers in my town it would still be less than a half of a percent of our population. - Dale
Ignorance knows no bounds.... some people actually think if you don't like NASCAR you must be un-American and I'm sure a lot of people think if you don't drive a big truck there must be something wrong with you.

Sadly there's this stigma in the military that if you drive an import you just aren't a masculine or manly type of guy and I hate stereotyping! So all this does is reinforce the stereotype which drives me crazy.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.5 mpg (US)
I saw a bumper sticker once that said "I only run my engine when necessary". I don't think the driver actually shut it down at a red light though.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
The Few, the Proud, The Ecomodders

I don't drive slower than the limit and the only way you'd notice my driving is my propensity to coast up to stop signs and lights. This truck will coast heroic distances - over a mile from 70 MPH freeway speeds and I still have to use the brakes at the light. Most people drive like Tony Stewart up to a light and jam on the brakes. Beyond that, I'm pretty stealthy about it. At the posted limit, I occassionally pass people. I don't know whether they are hypermiling or running dope.

I haven't seen another "fastback" on the road lid in the four years I've had mine. It does draw comments.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Old 08-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Relevance is irrelevant!

I see people driving well below the limit quite often. In fact I do it sometimes but it's generally only when I have a trailer on my truck and ABSOLUTELY NEVER in the fast lane.

I can't stand when people drive the speed limit in the fast lane, because there are thousands of signs saying Slower Traffic Keep Right and Keep Right Except To Pass. That clearly means if someone is coming up behind you in the fast lane you need to get the hell out of the way. Plus it's just highway courtesy. In Europe they have laws that say get out of the way, if only we had those too.

It's not as if I drive way over the speed limit all the time but I do go over it to pass someone, not more than 9 MPH over though. By the way I was just kinda venting a little, not meaning to get on anyone in particular or make any accusations. If the shoe fits though.... Slower Traffic Keep Right.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.5 mpg (US)
Technically there is no such thing as a "fast lane", the speed limit is the same in every lane. There are travel lanes and passing lanes. I drive a max of 60 mph, which puts me 5 mph under the limit on most freeways. I almost always use the rightmost lane, the only exception would be if there are three lanes and a lot of on ramps, then I will use the middle lane. I make sure to keep an eye out for trucks behind me since they cannot use the far left lane to pass. I also find a lot of people that seem to think the left lane exclusion applies to their Excursion.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Relevance is irrelevant!

That's true... I see people in all kinds of vehicles just rolling along thinking it's ok to just sit in the left lane and the law says that it's not. That's why there are literally thousands of signs along the highways saying Slower Traffic Keep Right. There's no debate about it. If there's someone going faster than you on the highway regardless of whether you're at the speed limit or not you are required to keep right so that they can pass you. Whether you want to use the term fast lane or not is completely irrelevant though. There is indeed still a requirement that you not be in the left lane unless it's to pass.

If you want to be rude then drive in the left lane/fast lane and force people to pass you on the right. And you can aruge, well I didn't make them pass me on the right, but you still put them in that situation because there are people who are travelling long distances and don't have the time to ride behind you and they are going to pass you regardless. Bottom line, as long as slower traffic keeps right there wont be a problem.

Reply  Post New Thread