EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   How to remove tires from rims manually (no damage). (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/how-remove-tires-rims-manually-no-damage-13348.html)

Christ 05-25-2010 01:52 AM

How to remove tires from rims manually (no damage).
 
This is more for scrapping the metals than anything, because honestly, how many times are you really going to do this in your life... However, it's not a difficult job, and only takes 5 minutes to remove a tire, and about 5 minutes to put one back on, even if you don't have the stand I have. (I used to do this with a bumper jack and a couple small trailer leaf springs.)

So, on with it:

First, remove the valve core from the rim using either a pair of pliers, a knife, etc... Whatever will get it out of there:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...0523101402.jpg

Next, you need to break both beads away from the wheel rim's seats:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...523101402b.jpg

On my tire stand, there is a pneumatic press that does this. I used to use a bumper jack with the ground stand on the end to do the same job:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...0523101403.jpg

I stand on the ram to keep it aligned while I start airing it up, and because the stand isn't bolted to the floor yet. It moves alot.

Next thing, after front and rear beads are released:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...0523101407.jpg

Place tire on stand, and insert the lug holder (little pin in the lug hole).

Place the locking collar:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...523101407a.jpg

And add air to lock. This prevents the wheel from moving/spinning around on the stand while you remove the tire from the wheel rim.

Making sure you're working from the front of the wheel, insert the tool from opposite your position, under the tire's bead and inside the rim. Line the notch in the tool up with the rim's lip and pull the tool back toward yourself:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...0523101408.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...523101408a.jpg

Determine which direction you'd like to work, then, push the bar away from the center post, and forcefully draw it back against the post. It is very important that you let the tool spin in your hand when it hits the center post. This allows the tool to "walk" the tire's bead over the rim's lip. After you've done the face, do the rear the same way, except it needs to come over the face of the wheel, too. When you're done, you have:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...0523101410.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...0523101400.jpg

Here's a short video demonstrating tire removal using the tire bar tool:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...0523101444.jpg

Christ 05-25-2010 01:55 AM

For anyone wondering why I do this:

A steel rim is normally worth about a dollar in scrap, sometimes more. I can remove a tire in about 5 minutes. That's about $12 an hour.

Aluminum rims are worth at least $11 each. Again, 5 minute removal time: 60/5=12, 12*$11 = $132/hr.

How many jobs does anyone know of that pay $132/hour for a little labor?

texanidiot25 05-25-2010 03:23 AM

If you can buy the tub of wheel bead grease, or just keep dish soap diluted in a squirt bottle, it makes life a lot easier getting the bead off.

Though, back in the day, I could have a tire off the rim, and new one mounted in that time, from the moment I pulled the valve stem out to the moment it was aired up to the proper PSI.

Some could do it in half that!

Though, where are you getting wheels/tires for cheaper than their scrap price?

Gasoline Fumes 05-25-2010 03:26 AM

Your tire tool looks a little nicer than the one I got from Horrible Freight. My bead breaker is all mechanical leverage. I used to bolt mine down on the tailgate of a truck when I needed to use it, but I might switch to the deck of the trailer I recently picked up.

I prefer scrapping catalytic converters for $$$. :)

MetroMPG 05-25-2010 06:59 AM

Or if you don't have the fancy tools... :)

"Be smarter than the tire!"

YouTube is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5F2BloLoeU

MetroMPG 05-25-2010 07:08 AM

Or, in half the time... minus the beer!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPVfn2NjirY

NeilBlanchard 05-25-2010 08:32 AM

Alloy rims really need rim guards? If you have a garage wall (providing a fulcrum) and a long (6-8 foot) 2x4 and a short piece of 2x4, you can break the bead that way. I've done a number of motorcycle tires this way; and they are harder to do than car tires due to their much narrower section.

Christ 05-25-2010 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texanidiot25 (Post 176050)
If you can buy the tub of wheel bead grease, or just keep dish soap diluted in a squirt bottle, it makes life a lot easier getting the bead off.

Though, back in the day, I could have a tire off the rim, and new one mounted in that time, from the moment I pulled the valve stem out to the moment it was aired up to the proper PSI.

Some could do it in half that!

Though, where are you getting wheels/tires for cheaper than their scrap price?

Both from people locally, as well as from the local junkyard.

They sell w/t on aluminum for $16, and they sell them on steel for $11 each. In either case, the tires are $5.

Take the tires off, use/sell them, and scrap the rims if they're not decent enough to sell.

I also get them when I buy cars and trucks to scrap, as I strip them down. I also get them when I pick up scrap from locals, who are just tired of stuff "laying around".

Christ 05-25-2010 12:08 PM

If I really felt ambitious, I'd just put the motor back on the log splitter. That's the fastest way to remove a tire from a junk rim - just squish the rim. Tire falls off. Takes less than 10 seconds. :)

However, I don't mind actually working a bit.

When I'm really in a hurry, I can dismount, clean, re-mount, and air up a set of 4 tires in about 25-30 minutes. I've never done all 4 using that tool, the last time I did a set of 4 was in my driveway with the leaf springs and bumper jack.

rmay635703 05-25-2010 05:23 PM

I've found you can just drive the truck over a deflated tire on the rim to pop it off (although that does use gas)

vielecustoms 07-01-2010 09:02 AM

eh, for the $10 I think I would pay to have someone swap out my cars tires...

on the other hand if I was still scrapping, I built a hydraulic rim splitter, like the idea above except it holds the rim in a cage so it doesn't fall off or go flying, for the local JY. basically, splits or crushes the rim, toss the rim in one pile and the tire in the other. far less time consuming than actually breaking down each tire. than of course you still have to get rid of the tires that you cant sell, that eats into your profits.

BuckarooBanzai 07-01-2010 08:50 PM

gotta swap a friend's good tire on a cruddy spare with the cruddy tire on his good rim soon, this thread should save him a few bucks now :) oh to be young and broke..

Christ 07-01-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vielecustoms (Post 181763)
eh, for the $10 I think I would pay to have someone swap out my cars tires...

on the other hand if I was still scrapping, I built a hydraulic rim splitter, like the idea above except it holds the rim in a cage so it doesn't fall off or go flying, for the local JY. basically, splits or crushes the rim, toss the rim in one pile and the tire in the other. far less time consuming than actually breaking down each tire. than of course you still have to get rid of the tires that you cant sell, that eats into your profits.

I have a rim crusher that doesn't damage the tire. I don't like to use it because it takes energy that I have to pay for, versus my own energy that I can afford to expend... helps keep me from getting fatter. :)

If I'm in a hurry to remove a set of tires for someone, or if I need a few extras for a load of steel, whatever, I'll use the crusher.

vielecustoms 07-01-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 181885)
I have a rim crusher that doesn't damage the tire. I don't like to use it because it takes energy that I have to pay for, versus my own energy that I can afford to expend... helps keep me from getting fatter. :)

If I'm in a hurry to remove a set of tires for someone, or if I need a few extras for a load of steel, whatever, I'll use the crusher.

this doesn't damage the tire either, just squashes the rim. unless of course they leave air in it...
power consumption is not even noticeable, I probably use more power just firing up the welder.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com