EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Alternative Transportation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/alternative-transportation.html)
-   -   How was your (bike) commute today? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/how-your-bike-commute-today-2761.html)

igo 06-03-2008 04:16 PM

How was your (bike) commute today?

I have a 7mile round trip commute. The morning is downhill and afternoon is uphill. I got caught in the rain today. I was soaked, but thankfully my ride isn't that long.

The morning is real fun because I go nearly car speed. It takes 15min by car 20 by bike.

Lazarus 06-03-2008 05:13 PM

Good call on the thread igo. Today was ruff. The winds were blowing out of the south at 21 gusting to over 30. The ride back was nice though. Have you noticed in your commute that there are more and more folks waiting at the bus stops now.

AndrewJ 06-03-2008 08:22 PM

Not so much a commute today, It's my day off, but I did go out to buy an impact wrench.

Lightly misting the whole time and I forgot to wear my shoes with cleats, so I was slipping off the pedals the whole time. Got a nasty cut on my shin when a pedal came back around and "bit" me. Other than that it was good.

Highest gas prices in the country and no more people waiting for the bus than 6 months ago...

thebrad 06-05-2008 09:58 PM

Pretty shitty, I was en route to the bike ship when I thrashed my rear rim disconnecting my cleats from the pedals.

igo 06-06-2008 04:23 PM

hot. Near record highs today 92F. I road 3 out of 5 days to work this week.

My rule is if it is dry in the morning and I wake up on time then I ride my bike to work.

Glee17 06-06-2008 04:40 PM

I was only able to ride on Tuesday. On the way home a spoke broke.:(

I have never had that happen on any bike I've ever owned.

Anyone else have that happen to a bike with less than 2000 miles on it?

igo 06-06-2008 04:53 PM

I have never broken a spoke, but my dad seems to break them all the time. I think it might have to to with the weight. I weigh 155 and he is 210.

Lazarus 06-06-2008 05:37 PM

I've broke 1 spoke before. I think it was incorrect tension through out the wheel that caused it. I had trued the rim a couple of hundred miles before it broke.

Broke rule #1 in commuting 101 and did not check the weather before I left this morning. Was in the sun the first 30 minutes then spent the last 45 minutes in heavy rain. To add insult to injury I got to follow a garbage truck for 2 miles. Man that was rough. Those trucks really smell.:p

Ride home was nice 90 degrees but really muggy.

NoCO2 06-09-2008 08:13 AM

My commute is 10 miles round trip. I found a route today that is about .5 miles longer, but it keeps me off the 55mph road that crosses over I-75 (suicide anyone?). But, this morning wasn't terrible. about 70 degrees and cloudy so wasn't too hot on the way there and there was no wind either. However, my commute home will be much more difficult unfortunately. Most of the way home is uphill and it's going to be 95 degrees when I have to do it so I packed 2 water bottles to be safe.

O, and almost ate it today, I was riding along and was startled when a car lightly honked his horn to alert me he was passing and I instinctively shot to the right a little and dropped into the curb pavement which made getting out interesting because there's about a 1/2" difference from there to the road which caught my tire on the way back up and scuffed my tire wall a little bit.

I'll report back with the ride home.

NoCO2 06-09-2008 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igo (Post 32239)
I have never broken a spoke, but my dad seems to break them all the time. I think it might have to to with the weight. I weigh 155 and he is 210.

I'm 215 and I've yet to break a spoke, it must just be bad luck.