EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Howdy from Texas y'all, Jeep Liberty Renegade (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/howdy-texas-yall-jeep-liberty-renegade-32999.html)

EcoRenegade 10-27-2015 08:55 PM

Howdy from Texas y'all, Jeep Liberty Renegade

Hey I'm EcoRenegade from the North Texas area. I purchased a 2005 libby reny back in 2009 with 35k on the dial. It now has 116k and counting. My goals are to increase gas mileage to 40+mpg without compromising the functionality of the Jeep. I like the trails but most of my time is spent on highway road trips. Looking forward to the journey and all of the comments.

ksa8907 10-27-2015 10:05 PM

Welcome. I wish you well but i think you're going to have a tough time getting much more than 30 on a tank average. What are your plans so far?

UFO 10-28-2015 11:00 AM

I hope you have a manual transmission. I had a diesel with the 5 speed auto, and even with the extra efficiency of the diesel, 30mpg at 60mph was the best I ever got.

There is a lot you can to to improve the aerodynamics. Remove the roof rack, install smaller or remove the huge ears (mirrors), grille block, air dam, belly pans, lower the ride height. If I recall, a fellow on lostjeeps.com was getting mid 30s from his CRD with some of those mods. He also installed a bunch of air tabs, but I doubt those helped.

Daox 10-28-2015 11:25 AM

Welcome to the site.

As the others have said, 40 mpg is going to be a pretty big stretch. But, I'm anxious to see what you can get out of it.

EcoRenegade 10-28-2015 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksa8907 (Post 497822)
Welcome. I wish you well but i think you're going to have a tough time getting much more than 30 on a tank average. What are your plans so far?

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Tough.. yes. This is my style. I usually go for the projects that most people would say are impossible. My plans are to try the "common" mods first, but I'm trying 3-4 different designs of each and measuring the differences. I'll post the complete list in my profile... it's a ton.

Any and all tips and help are welcome and will be attempted. I am willing to do things to my Jeep that most Jeep owners laugh at.

EcoRenegade 10-28-2015 08:31 PM

Ok, so I'll post it here and make a new thread later.

Phase 1
Cleaning our the radiator and other ongoing maintenance
Suspension lowered 1" all the way around - done
Grill mesh and block - in progress
Wheel covers, flat
Deleting roof and rock rails
Changing door handles to flush mount versions
Deleting extra weight where I can
Panel gap fill...Tron style

Phase 2
Air dam/skid plates
Undercarriage plates
Throttle body spacer
Cold air snorkel intake
Moving radio antennae to back
Rear wheel well covers

Phase 3
Custom fibreglass 5" cowl hood
Gas tank pressure/vaporizing system
Removing bulky offroad lights and replacing them with LED versions that follow the body lines.

elhigh 10-29-2015 05:11 PM

Let's tot up the anchors holding you back:

Two tons of weight

4x4

Bungalow profile

Jeep

And finally, automatic.

Holy cow. Well, I'll give you this: you're ambitious. There's precious few here that have ever achieved multiples of their EPA average, but if you have it in you I think you should get, I dunno, a tattoo or maybe a certificate from the director of the EPA. Or maybe the director give you the tattoo.

I think the cold air snorkel intake is a big no-no. For better fuel economy the generally accepted wisdom is a warm air intake. Plus of course it'll just present that much more resistance to the wind, also not helpful.

This should prove interesting. I look forward to seeing how it develops.

Mustang Dave 10-31-2015 10:20 PM

EcoRenegade, you should probably edit your fill-up in your fuel log. The entry shows that you paid $38.60/gallon. :eek: I can't believe gasoline is that expensive in Texas.
Welcome aboard!
I agree with elhigh; your quest for 40 MPG highway is extremely ambitious, and possibly even slightly unrealistic.

EcoRenegade 11-01-2015 10:04 AM

Ok y'all.. Let's not start a war here, Texans are good at that. I happy to see there some feedback for me to try. Warm air vs cold air etc..etc.. If someone doesn't at least try then nobody will ever know. I can't sit here and let Jeeps get deleted from Eco mod space for no reason.

I will start a thread in the DIY area soon on this. I want lots of data to post for this forum to give back to the help I've gotten. Yes, it sounds crazy. I laughed too when the idea first entered my head.

Since 2014 I have taped and card boarded prototypes all over my Liberty and measured the differences. I am hoping that sharing my work and photos here will turn out an idea I have not thought of yet. It's has been a small mod here and there. Now, I am ready for some serious alterations.

Saddle up and let's ride. :)

elhigh 11-02-2015 09:39 AM

Whatever you do, please do NOT take the notion that I think you're stupid or crazy.

I would dearly love to own a Wrangler - I love driving my mom's - but the lousy mileage holds me back, even an older, lighter model with the 2.5. If you can wrestle decent numbers out of a Liberty without it looking too over-the-top, I might be able to convince the wife, who would also like a Wrangler, and also stays away for the same reasons.

When you say "taped and cardboarded prototypes," that makes me think you're going to go all Basjoos all over your Libby. THAT would be something to see, 4x4 high-steppin' full boattail heading down the road. It would make a strange confluence of paradigms.