EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   HP2g @ NAIAS in Detriot ( 110 mpg Car ) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hp2g-naias-detriot-110-mpg-car-6954.html)

hp2g 01-31-2009 12:29 PM

HP2g @ NAIAS in Detriot ( 110 mpg Car )

Detriot . North American International Auto Show.

" Horse Power Sales.net, "HP2g " . All-electric is all the rage here in Motor City, but other approaches to saving fuel do not get the chops they deserve. Take Napoleon, Ohio-based Horsepower Sales.net Inc. This company showed its HP2g vehicle at the show. And no self-respecting car nut would do less than swoon over this auto. President Doug Pelmears says his vehicle can get 110 miles per gallon running on E85, an ethanol-based fuel made mostly of corn in nearby fields. And what a car. The HP2g is built around a good, old-fashioned all-American V-8 that pumps out -- get ready for it -- 400 horsepower, or about 50 hp less than a 2007 Porches 997 Turbo. That's a lot. And this alcohol-breathing monster lays down a simply terrific 500 foot pounds of torque -- or about 100 less than a souped-up Corvette ZR1, which, again, is really a lot. Said another way, this is a muscle car that gets 10 times the gas mileage of any competitor. It's ridiculous, but in a good way. The larger message here in Detroit was, if these two tiny companies can do so much with so little, why can't the rest of the auto industry be this innovative? "

Jim Cramer
Co-Founder of The Street .com
Jan 20-09

Vwbeamer 01-31-2009 07:06 PM

he has een hyping this since early last year. Can't really say it doesn't work, since no details have been released, other than the HP and Torque figures, which are always explained like the reader is an idiot.

Even on his web site, he explains what the abbreviation HP stands for??? Is there anyone who actually doesn't know HP is short for Horse Power?:rolleyes:

Skeptical, but hopeful.:turtle:

Hp2g.com

NeilBlanchard 01-31-2009 07:41 PM

Hi,

Is the engine a cam-driven design, maybe? It could be a lot more efficient if it is -- like close to 40%?

tasdrouille 01-31-2009 07:45 PM

toledoblade.com --

"It's still a rod-and-piston engine; it just has a lot more electronics on it."

Mr. Pelmear said that traditional gas engines operate "at a very low efficiency, like 8 to 10 percent, and our engine is like at 38 percent efficiency."

I really like the wording of the last quote "is like at"...lol

Can't wait till the xprize event

Curly1 02-01-2009 12:59 PM

Boy that sounds good!

400 Horsepower, 500 Ft. Lbs of Torque and 110 MPG! Wow! That is impressive!
I will believe it when I see it. I read some of their web site and it promoted a block brace for race cars and several references to the Progressive X challenge but nothing of about how they plan to win it or the motor.
Supposidely it is using a Mustang chassis and running E85? They are driving it to the SEMA show and yet they are selling block braces when they get there?

HELLO! if they can make 400 horsepower and get 110 MPG from a fairly heavy not very aerodynamic vehicle then that is front page news everywhere! And they are immedaitly millionaires. Everyone would want one of those magic motors. That would be one of the most important inventions in history and would change the world. Why are they talking about a block brace when they have one of the biggest inventions in the history of man? (if true!)

There is no magic. It takes a certain amount of fuel per hour to make horsepower. You can increase the performance by making the vehicle lighter, more aerodynamic and reducing the drag of the components and drivetrain.

If true think about the possibilities. You could have a smaller say 50 Hp version in a aerodynamic, lightweight vehicle like the Aptera and it would get like 2000 miles per gallon!

Even with the 18 wheelers you could get 30 MPG instead of the 8 they are now getting!

I am not holding my breath for this one and will believe it when I see it. Sure, I hope it is true but dont count on it.

Vwbeamer 02-01-2009 01:47 PM

True, not only would this guy be super rich, this would supercharge the whole economy, it would cut our fuel use in half, shipping cost would drop, new car sales with this technology would skyrocket.

This would certainly and drastically change our world and economy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly1 (Post 86036)
400 Horsepower, 500 Ft. Lbs of Torque and 110 MPG! Wow! That is impressive!
I will believe it when I see it. I read some of their web site and it promoted a block brace for race cars and several references to the Progressive X challenge but nothing of about how they plan to win it or the motor.
Supposidely it is using a Mustang chassis and running E85? They are driving it to the SEMA show and yet they are selling block braces when they get there?

HELLO! if they can make 400 horsepower and get 110 MPG from a fairly heavy not very aerodynamic vehicle then that is front page news everywhere! And they are immedaitly millionaires. Everyone would want one of those magic motors. That would be one of the most important inventions in history and would change the world. Why are they talking about a block brace when they have one of the biggest inventions in the history of man? (if true!)

There is no magic. It takes a certain amount of fuel per hour to make horsepower. You can increase the performance by making the vehicle lighter, more aerodynamic and reducing the drag of the components and drivetrain.

If true think about the possibilities. You could have a smaller say 50 Hp version in a aerodynamic, lightweight vehicle like the Aptera and it would get like 2000 miles per gallon!

Even with the 18 wheelers you could get 30 MPG instead of the 8 they are now getting!

I am not holding my breath for this one and will believe it when I see it. Sure, I hope it is true but dont count on it.

NeilBlanchard 02-01-2009 04:25 PM

Hi,

There is a cam-driven engine that is 39.5% efficient:

Revetec Development

http://www.revetec.com/images/revani.gif

Quote:

The two cams rotate and raise the piston with a scissor-like action to the bearings. Once at the top of the stroke the air/fuel mixture is fired. The expanded gas then forces the bearings down the ramps of the cams spreading them apart ending the stroke. The point of maximum mechanical advantage or transfer is around 20-30deg ATDC (the piston moving approximately 10% of its travel) making the most of the high cylinder pressure. This compares to a conventional engine that reaches maximum mechanical advantage around 60-70deg ATDC. (after the piston has moved through just over 40% of its travel, losing valuable cylinder pressure).