EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   Hybrid Batteries (looking for info on charging voltages, etc.) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hybrid-batteries-looking-info-charging-voltages-etc-11537.html)

mike88 12-23-2009 08:59 AM

Hybrid Batteries (looking for info on charging voltages, etc.)

I don't know if this is the right section for this question, but I need to find out information on Hybrid charging systems either the Toyota Prius or Honda Insight systems.
Is there any websites or resources that are good for this sort of information, I have contacted Toyota Manufacturing UK but they don't have the relevant information for the Prius as they don't manufacture it in this country.
Any information that you good people could provide would be great.

Thanks

Mike

SVOboy 12-23-2009 09:13 AM

You can check out insightcentral.com for details on the Insight stuff. If you have any specific questions on the 1st gen insight I have access to the manuals and the actual junk if there's anything I can look up.

bwilson4web 12-23-2009 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike88 (Post 149557)
. . . I need to find out information on Hybrid charging systems either the Toyota Prius . . .

Is there any websites or resources that are good for this sort of information, . . .

Have you looked at the Wiki site about the Prius?

Bob Wilson

mike88 12-23-2009 10:35 AM

I basically need to know the voltage required to fully charge the batteries of either the Insight or Prius and what type of batteries are used in either system, all will become clearer as my research progresses and initial results found out.

Thanks

Mike

RobertSmalls 12-23-2009 03:04 PM

NiMH for both. The First-gen Insight has 120 cells for 144V nominal, 6500mAh. Large battery arrays are very complex, and a number of issues can develop with them, and many of those issues can be rectified by the DIY'er. What exactly are you trying to do, and do you own any Hybrid battery packs?

A good resource for general background information is Nickel-metal hydride battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

mike88 12-23-2009 05:35 PM

Im trying to see the feasibility of using a Stirling engine as a method of exhaust heat recovery and then use the power generated from the Stirling engine to charge the batteries.
I know this has been a topic discussed on here before, but I hope to show that it is possible (or not) and also see how much heat is recoverable from the exhaust.
I already know that the shear size of a Stirling engine capable of this weighs alot, so packaging is an issue. But the main aim of the project is to do the theory behind. I can't really say alot about it as im still doing the first parts of it but hope to have preliminary results in January.
Must just say that this is all theory based due to funding. Thanks for eveyones help so far.

Thanks

Mike

RobertSmalls 12-23-2009 06:57 PM

You, me, and the DOE are all interested in exhaust waste heat recovery. Unfortunately, it's only economical for long haul trucks and stationary engines at the moment.

Vehicle Technologies Program: Solid State Energy Conversion

I consider thermoelectric exhaust waste heat recovery to be far more practical than a mechanical heat engine. TEG's are much lighter, easy to package on the exhaust after the catalytic converter, and the output is already electricity.

Also, don't limit yourself to hybrids. You could just as easily (or more easily) use the system to supply 12V, so the alternator doesn't have to work as hard. Read some of the threads here on alternatorless operation to see how much gas an alternator burns.