EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   Hybrid or hybridize (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hybrid-hybridize-38069.html)

teoman 12-29-2019 06:23 AM

Hybrid or hybridize

I found some LG 43 Ah cells that are relatively cheap over here and was thinking of buying them and putting them to use. (Same cells as hyundai ioniq)

I can buy something like a CR-Z and put the pack in parallel.

Ideally the altermotor route would be the beat option. But i do not know how to drive the altermotor. I am however capable of using the canbus to calculate a reference for the motor. I.e something like power on low rpm and cutoff at 2000 rpm and recharge when gas pedal not depressed and rpms above 2500 (obviously i am engine braking) or when brake pedal is applied and car is moving.

What is reasonnably possible.

teoman 12-29-2019 06:31 AM

Would the CR-Z start complaining if I constantly charged its battery pack a couple of volts below the max voltage?

Would it provide assist all the time? (Current pack I have is 6.7kwh, but i am thinking of getting 4 more packs like this to get the voltage closer.

S Keith 12-29-2019 01:34 PM

How will you manage/charge the LG battery? LiFePO4 or LiPo?

I don't have exact data, but based on known values for other Honda hybrids, the CR-Z may charge to a maximum of 134V UNDER HEAVY REGENERATIVE BRAKING. You'll want your Lithium pack max voltage to be well above this value.

Continually push a NiMH battery to 100% SoC, and you'll wear it out pretty quickly.

teoman 12-29-2019 02:33 PM

CRZ pack seems to be 101V or so.

I can build a pack to whatecer spec necessary.

For an initial approach I had in mind a boost converter or a buck converter to charge the original pack.

S Keith 12-29-2019 02:45 PM

Nominally, yes, but you will never see a CR-Z pack resting at 101V unless it's completely dead.

teoman 12-30-2019 04:24 AM

I can feed the pack whatever voltage needed.

Will the electronics complain? Will i get constant e-assist? And will this boost fuel economy.

S Keith 12-30-2019 08:16 AM

Probably not. No. A very small amount.

teoman 12-30-2019 12:46 PM

It has a 10kW motor. Could it not be coerced to be active more of the time?

vskid3 12-30-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teoman (Post 614067)
For an initial approach I had in mind a boost converter or a buck converter to charge the original pack.

Look into the Enginer PHEV kits for the Prius, they used a 48v battery and boosted the voltage to the pack voltage.

Modifying the electrical side of most hybrids is difficult and the results usually aren't very impressive. If you already had the batteries and the car sitting around, and a really good idea of how to make them work together, I would say go for it. But in your case, I wouldn't. If you really want to buy the batteries and do something with them, a project like an electric motorcycle or e-bike would be a better use of your time.

teoman 12-30-2019 01:10 PM

I have a 6.7 kW pack now. But I can get more cells.

Quote:

A new Plus Sport System is standard. If the battery is more than 30 percent charged and the CR-Z is traveling over 18 mph, the driver can press the "S+" button on the steering wheel to deliver increased acceleration for up to five seconds. Manual-transmission versions also receive both a larger clutch and a new lower final drive ratio. EPA-rated fuel economy figures increased by 1 mpg city for CVT equipped models, and 1 mpg highway for those with the six-speed manual transmission

Would constantly pressing this boost button work?

S Keith 12-31-2019 12:05 AM

Sounds like it would, but pressing it every five seconds sounds tedious as sh!t.

Natalya 12-31-2019 12:21 AM

What's the goal? More fuel-efficiency? Faster?

Ecky 12-31-2019 07:08 AM

The CR-Z was NiMH in earlier years and lithium in later years. If it works anything like the Insight, Civic hybrid and Prius, a booster pack won't work very well with NiMH. With that chemistry, battery voltage does not correlate well with state of charge, so instead the car counts watts in and out of the battery and calculates how much charge is left based on a model. Voltage is only really used as a sanity check.

In the G1 Insight there is an aftermarket kit which allows manual control of assist and regen, as well as setting battery state manually, but to my knowledge it was the first and last hybrid in which this was all analog and thus easy. I'm unaware of any existing kits for later Honda hybrids.

As for the Prius, I don't know what exists. For lithium based hybrids you might have an easier time.

S Keith 12-31-2019 03:49 PM

This is definitely a high effort, very low reward exercise.

teoman 12-31-2019 03:54 PM

And the BAS sustem would be better?

Ecky 12-31-2019 04:18 PM

You might be able to make this work most easily with an existing PHEV - cheaper ones would be the CMAX, maybe Accord Plug-In and Volt. I'm biased in favor of the Honda mostly because I know their systems, and they tend to have the best economy when burning gasoline to move.

teoman 12-31-2019 04:48 PM

Except, over here ford does not have a hybrid vehicle.

Honda has some 2007 civics and crz’s

Toyota has a handful of prius, a few yaris, some auris and the brand new corolla hybrid.

Ecky 12-31-2019 04:57 PM

Any plug-ins at all?

teoman 12-31-2019 05:17 PM

Nope

teoman 12-31-2019 05:21 PM

Oh sorry i was wrong. You can get a range rover 2.0 PHEV but that is 1/3M usd second hand.

Natalya 01-01-2020 09:01 PM

Do they sell the Prius-C in Turkey? If they did you could just get one of those and you're going to be so far ahead in the MPG game with that car that you wouldn't want to add extra batteries.

teoman 01-02-2020 03:02 AM

Nope. There are 2 Prii sold as second hand in the whole Country. A 1.5 and a 1.8.

rmay635703 04-12-2021 11:14 PM

I would talk to this guy if your serious about CRZ conversion

https://www.insightcentral.net/threa.../#post-1470997

Quote:

Originally Posted by teoman (Post 614290)
Nope. There are 2 Prii sold as second hand in the whole Country. A 1.5 and a 1.8.

US and Europe salvage vehicle export laws are still very lax,
if you don’t mind paying for body work you can buy a mildly crashed Prius and import it from the country of your choice.

The US alone exports millions of cars every year so it’s not a small market and the shipping from the US is low since most of the ships return empty.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-14-2021 01:47 AM

Hadn't it been for the certification of conformity with European Union standards, anything other than working around a BAS-Hybrid setup wouldn't be so out of question.