EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hybridfest guy now at ecomodder (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hybridfest-guy-now-ecomodder-1474.html)

ericbecky 03-19-2008 03:05 PM

Hybridfest guy now at ecomodder

Hi everyone, my name is Eric Powers, and I am an ecomodder.

I own a 2002 5-speed (of course!) Honda Insight that I bought back in 2003 with 30,000 miles on it. I am now at 109,000 miles and it is running strong. My lifetime fuel economy is 68.1.

My main modification is really not my own. I stand on the shoulders of Mike Dabrowski for the mod. In 2007 I installed a MIMA system into the Insight. My three sons (all under age 12) helped me do the install after we poured over all the written documentation as well as the helpful video we got from Mike.

I do some other minor stuff like a warm air intake to help keep the Insight in lean burn as well as block the radiator in cold weather.

Another aesthetic modification I made is to add an Mobile LED MD-550 scrolling LED sign in the rear hatch window. (The company is no longer in business.) I put up fun things like "Now Getting 85 MPG", to share with other drivers around me.

When I'm not thinking about mods, I am plenty busy...

My main gig is being one of the creators and promoters for "Hybridfest – A Hybrid Electric Car Show and More!" in Madison, WI. Given the great attitudes of people here at ecomodder, it is definitely an event you guys should check out. It's not just about hybrids. It's about all kinds of high fuel economy transportation. We'd love to have a display of your cars and have you talk about them. We haven't put up the registration for 2008 quite yet, but it'll be up soon. In the meantime save the dates: July 18, 19 & 20.

Through Hybridfest we have also partnered with Great Race to put on a large scale MPG Challenge. The MPG Challenge has always been a part of Hybridfest, but it's usually only about 30 miles long. With the partnership we are expanding things exponentially. I'll be announcing our latest New York to San Francisco MPG Challenge a little later today.

I also run a local hybrid car club, the Madison Hybrid Group, and have helped others get their clubs going.

Lastly I moderate on hybrid car sites and freelance write about hybrid cars.

Ecomodder is inspiring for me and my sons. Thanks for such a great site.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/522/mobileled80.JPG

H4MM3R 03-19-2008 03:10 PM

Welcome to the community!

SVOboy 03-19-2008 03:13 PM

Hey eric!

Thanks for signing up! I really hope I can get out to hybridfest with dan and darin this summer, :)

Got any pictures of the car, by the way?

Red 03-19-2008 03:17 PM

Welcome to the site Eric :)

ericbecky 03-19-2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 15088)
Got any pictures of the car, by the way?

Just added a rear view to the original post so you can see the LED sign.

Daox 03-19-2008 07:36 PM

Hello Eric. I'm planning on going to hybridfest this year. It would be great to meet some of you guys! Everyone at the Milwaukee Hybrid Group talks about it and seems to love it. I don't think I've seen you at the MiHG meets though? I know Jared has come out at least once since I started comming. Maybe I'll have to take a trip out to one of your meets. :)

ericbecky 03-19-2008 07:44 PM

I haven't been able to attend the regular MiHG meetings. Although I have done the special Milwaukee Brewers get-togethers with MiHG, the Chicago Prius Group, and MHG. That's always a good time! Tailgating before the game, plus the game itself.

MetroMPG 03-19-2008 10:08 PM

Welcome, Eric!

I have to say, that LED in the lower hatch glass of your Insight is awesome. Love it.

Any idea if the GM EV1 will be at HF this year? I recall seeing pics of it at one of the previous events.

DifferentPointofView 03-19-2008 10:25 PM

wow, I really enjoy that LED thing. I'd put stuff like "pass me" or something when I'm ecodriving... which is almost all the time. I actually ecodrive all the time, but MAX ecodriving is hard to do sometimes. especially with those impatient naggy annoying passengers :(.

Welcome!

bennelson 03-21-2008 11:43 AM

Hi Eric,

Glad to see one more Wisconsin guy on this forum.

I have been to one Milwaukee Hybrid group meeting so far. Great bunch of people there.

I plan on making it out to HybridFest!

You may also be interested in the motorcycle I converted to electric. It gets about the equivelant of 300 miles per gallon, although it only does it 15 miles at a time. Cycle link on forum.

I echo everyone else in how cool that rear LED display is!!!