EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Hydrogen ran out (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hydrogen-ran-out-36664.html)

sendler 07-27-2018 12:25 PM

Hydrogen ran out

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...-in-california

oil pan 4 07-27-2018 12:41 PM

Hydrogen is about the stupidest fuel anyone could have possibly imagined to use to power a vehicle.

In other news, no shortages of fuel or places to get fuel for my nissan leaf.

I just noticed this was in fossil fuel free forum. Which is funny because the only logical source to make hydrogen from is to make it from natural gas. So hydrogen cars are just natural gas powered cars with the natural gas stripped down to its most basic exotic form.

redpoint5 07-27-2018 06:16 PM

I thought about putting a "Solar Powered" sign on my gasser, but figured the joke would be lost on nearly everyone.

gone-ot 07-27-2018 06:43 PM

There's LOTs of H2 in space (albeit far apart), but not so much down here on Earth.

redpoint5 07-27-2018 08:24 PM

Is there? I figured it would eventually oxidize, but perhaps not?

freebeard 07-29-2018 01:21 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_ion
Quote:

A hydrogen ion is created when a hydrogen atom loses or gains an electron. A positively charged hydrogen ion (or proton) can readily combine with other particles and therefore is only seen isolated when it is in a gaseous state or a nearly particle-free space.[1] Due to its extremely high charge density of approximately 2×1010 times that of a sodium ion, the bare hydrogen ion cannot exist freely in solution as it readily hydrates, i.e., bonds quickly.[
Hydrogen ions in the solar wind combine with oxygen atoms carried upward on earthspots (anvil-head thunderstorms) to make star water. The whole story is here:

https://www.suspicious0bservers.org/starwater/

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-29-2018 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 574704)
Hydrogen is about the stupidest fuel anyone could have possibly imagined to use to power a vehicle.

Some 15 years ago I used to believe hydrogen would become commercially viable as a fuel by now at least in developed countries.

Quote:

I just noticed this was in fossil fuel free forum. Which is funny because the only logical source to make hydrogen from is to make it from natural gas. So hydrogen cars are just natural gas powered cars with the natural gas stripped down to its most basic exotic form.
Mercedes-Benz featured at least once a hydrogen-powered prototype that relied on methanol as the mean of storage for hydrogen. Well, most of the commercially-available methanol IIRC is produced out of natural gas anyway, even though it can also be brewed out of cellulosic and high-starch feedstocks (just like it happened with "moonshine" booze when the fermentation process accidentally led to some amount of methanol to contaminate it). But in the end it's too much more complicated. And nowadays with microturbine generators and solid-oxide fuel cells that are able to use hydrocarbons directly as a fuel, hydrogen seems even more pointless.

oil pan 4 07-29-2018 10:39 AM

Hydrogen can be made from non fossil fuel feed stock but as long as natural gas and coal are relatively affordable that's not going to happen.

sendler 07-31-2018 12:16 PM

Toyota want to make a Hydrogen fuel stack heavy truck.
https://www.greencarreports.com/news...in-los-angeles

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-02-2018 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 574883)
Hydrogen can be made from non fossil fuel feed stock but as long as natural gas and coal are relatively affordable that's not going to happen.

No matter what feedstock would be used, nowadays I wouldn't hold my breath for hydrogen to be ever a mainstream fuel. It seems like most of the people who were excited about the perspectives of hydrogen-powered vehicles about 15 to 20 years ago have now turned their support to battery-electric vehicles, plus for other applications where the ability to burn some fuel remains desirable even if that's only as a backup power generation are more likely to rely on something like microturbines that can run on nearly anything that vaporizes into their combustion chambers.

oil pan 4 08-02-2018 06:33 PM

I think the point of hydrogen fuel was to send people running and screaming towards battery based vehicles.
When people are required to pay the full cost of their own hydrogen, that will be the end of hydrogen poweredvehicles.

The hydrogen powered vehicles have around the same range as my leaf on a single charge. My leaf uses $15 to $20 of electrical power per month.
Every fill up on a hydrogen vehicle could run around $30 to $50 and only get you 100 to 200 miles of range.

Xist 08-03-2018 03:38 AM

Oil Pan, did you say elsewhere that you average about a thousand miles a month riding a leaf in the wind? That would be the equivalent of 5 - 10 $30 - $50 fill-ups, or anywhere between $150 - $500, and 7.5 - 33⅓ times as much as you pay.

Would the cost of hydrogen go down if it went mainstream? Do hydrogen systems break down faster than battery packs?

oil pan 4 08-03-2018 03:12 PM

Hydrogen already is main stream. The oil industry produces millions of tons of hydrogen every year for hydro cracking of petro chemicals. It still remains difficult to store, transport and use.

The cost of hydrogen would likely go up if hydrogen went main stream since now almost all hydrogen is used to make other stuff. If hydrogen its self is the end product it would be add additional load to existing processes.

A fuel cell can supposedly last 30 to 100 years. The tech used in the Che y volt battery is probably going to allow the batteries to last at least 20 years.

matt36415 08-06-2018 06:57 PM

H2O.... Our planet has a super giant supply of hydrogen, just add solar electricity and you get hydrogen by its self. Anyone saying hydrogen is in short supply is just wrong, very wrong. Approx 80% of the matter in the universe is hydrogen.

Sure, carrying a tank of it is not so easy yet, but landing on the moon wasnt easy either.

oil pan 4 08-06-2018 07:14 PM

Making hydrogen from water is the most expensive way on earth to get hydrogen.
I just said the US oil industry makes millions of tons of hydrogen per year.

sendler 08-06-2018 07:23 PM

Electrolysis of Hydrogen is also very energy inefficient by the time you make a round trip through a fuel (fool) cell stack. Much better to just put the electricity in a battery(if we have enough batteries).

teoman 08-07-2018 03:09 AM

H2O is to hydrogen what CO2 is to gasoline.

oil pan 4 08-07-2018 03:10 PM

It would be cheaper and more efficient to get hydrogen from gasoline than to get hydrogen from water.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-09-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sendler (Post 575525)
Electrolysis of Hydrogen is also very energy inefficient by the time you make a round trip through a fuel (fool) cell stack. Much better to just put the electricity in a battery(if we have enough batteries).

Many folks claim to achieve some good results with the HHO generators, but I have never seen any claim of those devices being used as the only fuel source. It's usually fitted as a supplemental system, with those claims to decrease gasoline consumption. Anyway, had it been really effective, we wouldn't see anybody still using gasoline.

oil pan 4 08-09-2018 03:44 PM

There have been a few yahoo's that claim to run their engine off straight hho, but they all have a few things in common, they won't let anyone even look at their setup and they all want a lot of money for their plans.

Xist 08-10-2018 01:45 AM

Water vapor is a greenhouse gas.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-10-2018 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 575800)
There have been a few yahoo's that claim to run their engine off straight hho, but they all have a few things in common, they won't let anyone even look at their setup and they all want a lot of money for their plans.

There was at least one French who moved to my state and claimed to make a "reactor" to use a blend of water and ethanol to extract the hydrogen. This project was surrounded by a lot of mistery, but the fewer reports about it haven't been so outstanding at all. In the end, considering ethanol as a "conventional" fuel due to its widespread use in Brazil at the time, it might have worked in a way quite similar some sort of water injection, simply allowing to lean down the air-fuel ratio.