EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   Hyllion ERX - A Natural Gas Hybrid Electric Semi (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hyllion-erx-natural-gas-hybrid-electric-semi-38459.html)

JSH 06-30-2020 02:59 PM

Hyllion ERX - A Natural Gas Hybrid Electric Semi

This is Hyliion's new hybrid system. It is an electric truck with a natural gas powered generator to charge the battery. It can run EV only for 25 miles to enter EV only areas in cities and cruise 1,300 mile on a tank.

This is a great idea for a realistic way to transition long-haul trucking to alternative fuels. Natural gas stations already exist and NG trucks have very low emissions. It is likely actually simpler than a modern diesel truck with all the emission controls and little fuel economy tweeks.

https://www.hyliion.com/erx-page/#/performance

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Sn4hI7CjcEY/maxresdefault.jpg

MeteorGray 07-04-2020 08:14 AM

Amazing it can hold enough CNG to run 1300 miles working a load. Or can it?

Piotrsko 07-04-2020 10:21 AM

Using 6mpg, you need 216 gallons of diesel so perhaps 1000 gallon high pressure gas. The tanks shown look almost big enough for1/2 that, one on each side.

The CNG transit vans I drove had a 50 gallon tank where the gasoline tank was but I could only get maybe 60 miles out of it before refill. Some days I refilled 3 times.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-05-2020 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotrsko (Post 627370)
The CNG transit vans I drove had a 50 gallon tank where the gasoline tank was but I could only get maybe 60 miles out of it before refill. Some days I refilled 3 times.

Do you remember how many GGEs it could hold?

JSH 07-06-2020 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeteorGray (Post 627362)
Amazing it can hold enough CNG to run 1300 miles working a load. Or can it?

It has a side tank on each side and a giant cabinet tank behind the cab.

Also as a hybrid it should be more efficient than CNG converted diesel.

EDIT: I believe the 1300 mile range is for liquid natural gas which is about 4x denser than compressed natural gas.

Piotrsko 07-06-2020 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 627435)
Do you remember how many GGEs it could hold?

The outfit I worked for was hugely non technical, so, unfortunately no. They had issues scheduling how far I could run before refueling even after I gave them a tank range.

Liquid gas is comparable to gasoline for BTU content, so if that's the case 1300 miles is much easier.

redpoint5 07-06-2020 11:31 AM

I wonder what happened to that one guy who was on a mission to improve MPGs on a huge fleet? He kept going on and on about HHO, insisting that testing proved a benefit.

JSH 07-07-2020 12:27 PM

Some more detail now that I have access to a computer:

Agility LNG side tanks are up to 160 DGE each
Agility CNG side tanks are up to 60 DGE each
Agility CNG Cabinet tanks are up to 175 DGE

redpoint5 07-07-2020 05:38 PM

What is a DGE? Distance per Gallon Equivalent?

samwichse 07-07-2020 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 627548)
What is a DGE? Distance per Gallon Equivalent?

Diesel gallon equivalent

oil pan 4 07-07-2020 09:04 PM

Right now diesel trucks can run natural gas fumigation straight into the intake.
LNG sounds expensive.
These things aren't going anywhere till the diesel trucks can fill up with CNG anywhere they need to.
You know what that means, more natural gas pipe lines.

JSH 07-08-2020 01:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 627550)
Right now diesel trucks can run natural gas fumigation straight into the intake.
LNG sounds expensive.
These things aren't going anywhere till the diesel trucks can fill up with CNG anywhere they need to.
You know what that means, more natural gas pipe lines.

CNG and LNG will take off when large fleets decide it is cheaper to run than diesel. Emission regulations are helping to speed that transition as NG trucks burn clean enough to avoid urea injection and particulate filters. They are as simple as pre-emission diesels.

UPS recently announced they are adding an additional 6000 CNG vehicles between 2020 and 2022. The don't give the breakdown between medium duty and heavy duty. UPS runs a mixed fleet of 3800 CNG vehicles today with 31 private fueling stations.

They also run a fleet of 1300 LNG Class 8 tractors and operate 15 LNG fueling stations.

Today there are 1000 public CNG and 90 LNG fueling stations with multiple coast to coast routes. There are also plenty of NG pipelines to add more and a steady supply of cheap gas from fracking. It is way simpler to add to the natural gas infrastructure than to try to start over with hydrogen or HD electric charging stations (which are impractical anyway)

Piotrsko 07-08-2020 09:57 AM

Cng only needs a high pressure pump, storage tank and metering system. We ran our system off city mains that existed. Found out that the utilities added compressed air to the gas in winter to increase flow.

oil pan 4 07-08-2020 10:27 PM

It already is cheaper than diesel. Last time I was at a CNG station it was $1.41 cents for one gallon of diesel equivalent of natural gas.
LNG likely won't be cheaper as its so expensive to cool it to the temperature where it becomes a liquid. Compressing it is very cheap and simple by comparison.
CNG can be provided by the company if they have natural gas service and are willing to buy a CNG system since 1 million BTUs only costs around $3. That's the energy of about 7 gallons of diesel.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-08-2020 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 627555)
CNG and LNG will take off when large fleets decide it is cheaper to run than diesel.

I wouldn't hold my breath for LNG due to the higher cost of processing and its more dangerous storage. CNG on the other hand only needs to become more easily available. In my hometown Porto Alegre it's still widely used by taxi drivers even though the price skyrocketted recently, while in smaller cities with fewer stations providing CNG refuelling even commercial operators are not using it anymore. Not to mention Bolivia where imports of vehicles with Diesel engines below 4-litre were forbidden in 2004 or 2005 initially could be seen as a step toward a transition to CNG but such plan failed because CNG stations were not fairly distributed on a nationwide basis, or in Venezuela where CNG also failed as a desperate attempt to release more gasoline and Diesel fuel for export at higher prices than the heavily subsidized domestic market.

Quote:

Emission regulations are helping to speed that transition as NG trucks burn clean enough to avoid urea injection and particulate filters. They are as simple as pre-emission diesels.
Urea injection is a PITA, and so are the particulate filters. Considering smaller trucks and vans for which naturally-aspirated gassers are still favored in the USA, Mexico and Canada, a transition to CNG might be quite smooth.

Quote:

It is way simpler to add to the natural gas infrastructure than to try to start over with hydrogen or HD electric charging stations (which are impractical anyway)
Even resorting to biomethane, which could not only provide a better destination to organic waste in general but also decrease the release of raw methane into the atmosphere and serve as a way to add value to byproducts of farming such as livestock manure, makes more sense than hydrogen. A switch to full electrification of motoring is quite a pipedream as much as hydrogen.

JSH 07-08-2020 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 627614)
It already is cheaper than diesel. Last time I was at a CNG station it was $1.41 cents for one gallon of diesel equivalent of natural gas.
LNG likely won't be cheaper as its so expensive to cool it to the temperature where it becomes a liquid. Compressing it is very cheap and simple by comparison.
CNG can be provided by the company if they have natural gas service and are willing to buy a CNG system since 1 million BTUs only costs around $3. That's the energy of about 7 gallons of diesel.

There is much more to cost than just fuel cost. There is the extra cost of the engine, the tanks, training your maintenance workers, stocking extra parts, different oils, etc. Then there is the resale value. Most large fleets only keep their trucks for 3-5 years.

The problem with CNG is range. It works fine for local delivery but the range is a bit short for long-haul. Agility's largest CNG side tank is only 60 DGE. You can add a cabinet tank that holds 175 DGE but that makes for a long truck on a sleeper. Most CNG trucks are daycabs running set routes.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-09-2020 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 627620)
There is the extra cost of the engine, the tanks, training your maintenance workers, stocking extra parts, different oils, etc. Then there is the resale value.

Resale value seems to be more critical, but since most of those dedicated-CNG engines fitted to heavy commercial vehicles (including buses) still share some components with their Diesel counterparts it might remain cost-effective for some operators.

oil pan 4 07-09-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 627620)
There is much more to cost than just fuel cost. There is the extra cost of the engine, the tanks, training your maintenance workers, stocking extra parts, different oils, etc. Then there is the resale value. Most large fleets only keep their trucks for 3-5 years.

The problem with CNG is range. It works fine for local delivery but the range is a bit short for long-haul. Agility's largest CNG side tank is only 60 DGE. You can add a cabinet tank that holds 175 DGE but that makes for a long truck on a sleeper. Most CNG trucks are daycabs running set routes.

That sounds like a good place to start.

JSH 07-09-2020 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 627656)
Resale value seems to be more critical, but since most of those dedicated-CNG engines fitted to heavy commercial vehicles (including buses) still share some components with their Diesel counterparts it might remain cost-effective for some operators.

I did a little more poking around last night and found a pretty good 2020 report by San Bernardino on 202 natural gas trucks purchased by Ryder leasing.

https://ww2.energy.ca.gov/2020public...0-2020-122.pdf

The upcharge for a CNG truck is about $50,000. That is a big upfront cost to make back in fuel savings though the savings are significant:

Quote:

"One main benefit of natural gas for commercial trucking fleets is its low and stable price relative to conventional transportation fuels. At the two LCNG stations constructed and operated by Ryder, fuel prices during the project period in 2012 and 2013 were at $2.57 per diesel gallon equivalent (DGE) for CNG, and $2.79 per DGE for LNG. Diesel fuel prices in California were around $4.18 per gallon, providing a cost advantage of about $1.50 per DGE for both fuels."
CNG trucks are also signifigantly heavier than diesel trucks with similar range. From Transport Topics:

Quote:

One significant drawback to a CNG fuel system is the added weight of tanks. AJR Trucking specified tanks that hold the equivalent of 167 gallons of diesel, giving the new tractors a range of about 700 miles. The tankage adds 4,200 pounds to the weight of each tractor.

UPS also experienced a weight gain on tractors using CNG. But in addition to the 2,500-pound increase, day-cab tractors with a CNG fuel system require a second drive axle to accommodate the weight. The fleet can operate single-drive-axle tractors when liquefied natural gas (LNG) is used because that fuel system is not as heavy.

JSH 07-09-2020 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 627666)
That sounds like a good place to start.

10 years ago yes. In the near future I expect to see more electric trucks doing local delivery.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-11-2020 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 627680)
CNG trucks are also signifigantly heavier than diesel trucks with similar range.

That's one reason why I consider it more viable to use CNG on urban transit buses than in heavy trucks. Garbage trucks might be a good case for CNG as long as they can resort to biomethane extracted from the landfills.

redpoint5 07-12-2020 02:11 PM

Garbage trucks should be battery powered by now. Short distances, high torque needed, constant starts/stops. Absolutely perfect job for a battery/electric drivetrain.

oil pan 4 07-12-2020 11:34 PM

But almost all municipalities want to buy the cheapest price garbage truck they can get, since it's just a garbage truck. No one cares if the garbage trucks are nice.

serialk11r 07-13-2020 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 627555)
Emission regulations are helping to speed that transition as NG trucks burn clean enough to avoid urea injection and particulate filters. They are as simple as pre-emission diesels.

Particulate filters yes, urea injection no. Excess air is mandatory at low load for compression ignition, making the urea injection necessary.

Piotrsko 07-13-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 627803)
But almost all municipalities want to buy the cheapest price garbage truck they can get, since it's just a garbage truck. No one cares if the garbage trucks are nice.

Most of the munis I am associated with subcontract to Waste Management or one of their affiliates which are not noted for their concerns about anything but profit

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-13-2020 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serialk11r (Post 627810)
Particulate filters yes, urea injection no.

Natural gas avoids both, even if a dedicated-CNG engine would rely on direct injection.

JSH 07-13-2020 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serialk11r (Post 627810)
Particulate filters yes, urea injection no. Excess air is mandatory at low load for compression ignition, making the urea injection necessary.

Dedicated CNG engines like the Cummins L9N are spark ignition.

https://freightlinerads.azureedge.ne...2019-05-31.pdf

Quote:

CUMMINS ® WESTPORT L9N 8.9 LITER NATURAL GAS ENGINE
• Uses stoichiometrically-cooled EGR combustion
• EPA 2017 and CARB emissions standards compliant
• Available up to 320 HP, 1000 lb-ft torque
• No SCR aftertreatment system required
• Maintenance-free exhaust system
• No DPF regeneration, cleaning or replacement
• Spark-ignited
• Dedicated natural gas engine – no dual fuel

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-14-2020 03:50 PM

Now that Scania is partnering with Cummins, it would be interesting if they tried ethanol in a spark-ignited engine initially developed for CNG. Might work better than the failed compression-ignition ethanol engines which required an ignition improver to be blended into the ethanol, plus it could allow a much useful limp-home mode once CNG is depleted. This could eventually be a good option for agribusiness in Brazil.