EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Hypermiler logo - warning to others? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hypermiler-logo-warning-others-37409.html)

CancelledByRequest 04-06-2019 04:33 PM

Hypermiler logo - warning to others?

Hi,

I'm really here to learn. I doubt I'll qualify as a hypermiler.

My current HA does 8.86 L/100 km when I drive semi sensible.

When I do a full tank at 85 km/hr on the highway then it goes to 7.64 L/100 km. For you yanks that's 30.8 MPG.

I'll be buying a new Accord next month (1.5T). Per some on the Drive Accord forum they are hitting 45 MPG in good conditions and very conservative driving. Not at all bad.

BUT my main concern is safety. The route to work is traffic flow at 100 - 120 km/hr. (Legal is 60 - 100 km/hr). I drive on the right edge of the right lane - tires touching the white paint...

Is there such a thing as a recognized "hypermiler" logo?

I intend to add lights to the tail of the car also so people are warned well in advance... is there a standard?

mpg_numbers_guy 04-06-2019 05:40 PM

Hi, welcome to Ecomodder.

My dad works for a Honda dealership and drives a demo car. The latest Accords with the 1.5T he's driven would get him around 38 MPG city, 44 MPG highway with completely normal driving. The 1.5T is truly an efficient engine to be putting out those numbers on such a large car without any hypermiling. Even my smaller '04 Civic I used to have wasn't quite as efficient as that prior to mods and hypermiling.

Regarding a hypermiling standard, when I drive slow, I just drive slow. Driving slow on the highway means looking back out the rearview mirror more often. You are the odd one out, therefore it is up to you to ensure that you are driving safely. Oftentimes this means turning on the hazards for a few blinks when a semi truck is approaching or when a car is approaching too fast and/or not paying attention. If traffic is unusually thick I am sometimes obligated to speed up to avoid having a pack of cars angrily stuck behind me in the right lane. Hypermiling is no good if it is not safe. Safety must always come first. I tend to argue that hypermilers are generally safer drivers because they are forced to pay attention to their surroundings. If someone isn't doing that, then they shouldn't doing any kind of extreme hypermiling.

You could get an Ecomodder sticker and put that on the back, or there are MPG stickers you can order online that might get the point across to any few of the logical drivers left in the world.

CancelledByRequest 04-06-2019 05:47 PM

Thks. That's why I want to add info. To inform others. Why I'll be adding lights as well (focussed LED's that will be visible over 1 km away in daylight is my goal. With a delta-V of 35 km/hr that gives them 2 minutes to ponder what's up...).

I'm in XXXXXX so MPG is meaningless two ways.

Really looking for a "sign" with universal meaning.

Maybe time to design something and promote it internationally?

Fat Charlie 04-06-2019 05:49 PM

Slower cars should notify the rest of the world of their presence simply by being in the slow lane. Having your lights on might be a nice touch, but at some point, there's only so much you can do.

CancelledByRequest 04-06-2019 05:57 PM

@Fat Charlie: it's rare here to see anyone in the 60 km/hr minimum "slow lane" doing less than about 95 km/hr. I'm aiming to be at 85 km/hr. This has worked well in light traffic over the past 2 years but there have been a few blaring horns of frustration as people pass. A couple weeks ago an 18 wheeler hugged me pretty close.

This is why I want something very visible added (I'll have a mod shop add lights) but I am hoping for something that is universal. (Not English and not "miles"). Rather something that suggests "green economy".

Thx!

PS: As to your "Signature block" above, Honda are quoting its best mileage for the CVT, not for their 6 speed MT (new Honda Accord's). It could be that absolute best using best technique is with the 6 speed MT but people are posting actuals with the CVT that are very good...

mpg_numbers_guy 04-06-2019 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanTheBeast2 (Post 595463)
Thks. That's why I want to add info. To inform others. Why I'll be adding lights as well (focussed LED's that will be visible over 1 km away in daylight is my goal. With a delta-V of 35 km/hr that gives them 2 minutes to ponder what's up...).

Be sure to post pictures! :)

Quote:

I'm in XXXXX so MPG is meaningless two ways.

MPG stickers are only some of the ones they have out there. Cafe Press seems to have a good selection of other ones. Haven't tried other efficiency-related search queries: https://www.cafepress.com/+gas-mileage+bumper-stickers

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanTheBeast2 (Post 595467)
PS: As to your "Signature block" above, Honda are quoting its best mileage for the CVT, not for their 6 speed MT (new Honda Accord's). It could be that absolute best using best technique is with the 6 speed MT but people are posting actuals with the CVT that are very good...

Today's manuals are geared overly short for sportier driving, thus handicapping them. Geared the same, a manual transmission will return better fuel economy than an automatic.

CancelledByRequest 04-06-2019 07:12 PM

Thx.

Economy is in top gear and that is not a 'sporty' gear ... that's what the lower 4 are for.'

It's the CVT I was referring to for comparison - not AT.

mpg_numbers_guy 04-06-2019 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanTheBeast2 (Post 595475)
Thx.

Economy is in top gear and that is not a 'sporty' gear ... that's what the lower 4 are for.'

It's the CVT I was referring to for comparison - not AT.

Top gear does not necessarily mean good fuel economy if that top gear is short, or if the final drive is short.

A Fit manual runs close to 4000 RPMs at highway speed in top gear. Their CVT is closer to 3000 RPMs, hence why the CVT returns better fuel economy. If both ran at the same RPM (i.e. had the "same gearing") at the same speed, the manual would win.

Plus, a manual transmission allows you to control the car's performance better, allowing for much greater hypermiling potential. Here's a test that was performed between the CVT and manual transmissions of the Nissan Micra: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...cra-30059.html

CancelledByRequest 04-06-2019 07:31 PM

Not to debate. But yer cherry picking. I'm done with it.

Fat Charlie 04-06-2019 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanTheBeast2 (Post 595467)
@Fat Charlie: it's rare here to see anyone in the 60 km/hr minimum "slow lane" doing less than about 95 km/hr.

It's not about numbers, it's about relative speed. By being on the right, you're announcing that you've gotten as far out of the way as you can. And yes, people in the right lane are just as responsible as everyone else for observing and reacting to the world around them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanTheBeast2 (Post 595475)

Economy is in neutral, silly!

Stubby79 04-06-2019 11:47 PM

https://images.homedepot-static.com/...30-64_1000.jpg

fusion210 04-06-2019 11:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:o.

RedDevil 04-07-2019 04:49 AM

I just stay in the middle of the slow lane, unless someone gets really close up and sides left or right nor taking the opportunities to pass me; then I move left or right in the lane to stay 100% in front of them, but gently.
Some people seem to think they can drive right through you if you're not 100% straight ahead of them.

I speed up to the speed limit if I don't have someone up ahead though. I prefer following semis (at a respectable distance, of course); nobody else wants to stay behind them so people tailgating me are seldom then.

svt98t 04-07-2019 07:14 AM

"<--- You shall pass...I'll save gas"

-ryan s.

oil pan 4 04-07-2019 10:37 AM

Yeah I get the equivalent of around 2L/100km with out even trying.
Just have to keep it under 100kph.

Vman455 04-08-2019 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanTheBeast2 (Post 595478)
Not to debate. But yer cherry picking. I'm done with it.

He isn't cherry picking; he simply pointed out that, contrary to your assertion that 6th gear on the manual isn't "sporty", it's still running at quite a bit higher RPM in top gear on the highway than the AT or CVT (both a CVT and a 10-speed auto are available on the current Accord).

MeteorGray 04-08-2019 01:07 PM

I wouldn't put anything on the back indicating I'm going slow because I'm trying to make good gas mileage.

From what I've seen, it's an invitation to Road Rage.

What I have done is install a rear-facing camera (and a front-facing one too). If a tailgater spots it, shehe will know they're on Candid Camera and that the video could be replayed to a jury someday.

Maybe that's an idea: put a "Smile, Your're On Candid Camera" sign right below the camera.

On second thought, that's an invitation to Road Rage too.

You can't assume other people are sane, especially when they're driving a metal box at deadly speeds.

MetroMPG 05-12-2019 10:54 AM

https://images.homedepot-static.com/...30-64_1000.jpg
This is the correct answer.

CancelledByRequest 05-12-2019 11:01 AM

No. It most definitely is not.

Fat Charlie 05-12-2019 12:24 PM

Actually, it is. Literally, and not in the way my daughter uses it. It's exactly what you were asking about:

Quote:

It's a standard sign that warns traffic coming up behind you that you're likely to be slower than other traffic. It's required on vehicles that can't get over 40mph. Drop "international slow vehicle sign" into Google images and that's what you get.

If you're looking for something different, use a different question.

nemo 05-12-2019 01:11 PM

Seeing a quite a few vehicles here displaying message "GPS equipped this vehicle does not exceed XX MPH".

CancelledByRequest 05-12-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 597911)
Actually, it is. Literally, and not in the way my daughter uses it. It's exactly what you were asking about:

It's a standard sign that warns traffic coming up behind you that you're likely to be slower than other traffic. It's required on vehicles that can't get over 40mph. Drop "international slow vehicle sign" into Google images and that's what you get.

If you're looking for something different, use a different question.

If you're looking to make replies like that, suggest you read the original post first.

redpoint5 05-13-2019 01:22 AM

It’s a silly question because if someone can read a bumper sticker or some sign in a window, they can tell you’re going slow.

If your primary concern is safety, then at least keep up with the slowest of traffic rather than be an impediment to all.

I’ve heard great things about newer Accords from an efficiency standpoint.

MetroMPG 05-13-2019 09:36 AM

Well, the O.P. did not get the answer s/he was hoping for!

Annoyed by our helpfulness, s/he requested I kill the account.

Shaneajanderson 05-13-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 597981)
Well, the O.P. did not get the answer s/he was hoping for!

Annoyed by our helpfulness, s/he requested I kill the account.

You guys weren't even hard on him. Unreal how soft people are these days.

redpoint5 05-13-2019 11:18 AM

Well perhaps I contributed to the nail in that coffin, but roadways are for traveling, not a test circuit for fuel economy PRs. People need to travel the speed of (at least the slowest) traffic and leave the PRs for times/locations where they aren't being an impediment.

Being honked at multiple times is a sign of being an impediment. I've not even been honked at when I allow a huge gap to form in stop and go traffic when I travel the average speed rather than go bumper to bumper.

MetroMPG 05-13-2019 11:24 AM

Actually, the remove request came before your comment, redpoint5.

I appear to have poked the lion.

While I appreciate the sentiment for coming up with a dedicated symbol that indicates "Hypermiler On-Board" :D , there's approximately a zero percent chance it would ever become general knowledge.

Why re-invent the wheel?

The slow-moving vehicle sign on the other hand is already taught in driver's ed and is usually one of the questions on the driver's written test.

Fat Charlie 05-14-2019 06:51 PM

Is this a first? Someone left in a huff, and it doesn't even look like he met Frank.

KrautBurner 05-16-2019 11:43 AM

I've seen a few that are similar to this one

https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...p;d=1554609322

Shaneajanderson 05-16-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrautBurner (Post 598287)
I've seen a few that are similar to this one

https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...p;d=1554609322

I need that for my metro.

redpoint5 05-16-2019 02:59 PM

I just don't know why the OP got bent out of shape by people directly answering the question with the best answer.

There were other opinions thrown in there too, but that happens in every thread, and I consider it a courtesy. If I'm a hiker asking for directions to a trail, someone could simply tell me which direction to find it, but I'd sure appreciate it if they also let me know if a river washed it out and it's now a cliff.

If you can't get along on this forum, I don't know what forum a person would fit in.

Shaneajanderson 05-16-2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 598319)
I just don't know why the OP got bent out of shape by people directly answering the question with the best answer.

There were other opinions thrown in there too, but that happens in every thread, and I consider it a courtesy. If I'm a hiker asking for directions to a trail, someone could simply tell me which direction to find it, but I'd sure appreciate it if they also let me know if a river washed it out and it's now a cliff.

If you can't get along on this forum, I don't know what forum a person would fit in.

Snowflake syndrome, mommy always let them have their way as a kid, and as an adult they don't know how to handle conflict, even as mild as being told something they don't like.

redpoint5 05-16-2019 04:46 PM

I don't know what kind of reply would be satisfactory to them.

https://res.cloudinary.com/teepublic.../2045569_1.jpg

https://static.neatorama.com/images/...ous-turtle.jpg

ik04 05-19-2019 08:10 PM

Maybe big letters that say "Pardon my speed changes, I'm getting 65 MPG!"

KrautBurner 05-20-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ik04 (Post 598521)
Maybe big letters that say "Pardon my speed changes, I'm getting 65 MPG!"

there's an early Insight on base here that has stickers all over it
weight/hp = fuel economy, it's covered in stuff to distract other drivers :thumbup:

there is a rabit with rear wheel skirts that has a piece of paper in the window explaining some of his modifications
I think it says 50mpg somewhere on it too

Vman455 05-20-2019 08:17 PM

I've been known to do that before:

https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-v...psc3052ae4.jpg

https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-v...1528984718.jpg

KrautBurner 05-22-2019 09:15 AM

I saw a silver insight on base this morning with a "MPG" sticker in his back window
it was basicly this, without the number

https://ballzbeatz.com/wp-content/up...er-768x768.jpg

his license plate frame had some other info like 67mpg city, ect...

and he was "hypermiling" when I passed him

RedDevil 05-22-2019 09:53 AM

Hmm. Somehow I don't like that image.

https://i.imgur.com/0qn4fiI.png

There. Much better ;) :turtle: