Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Fantastic commute Stormagedon 2013

I just passed 50 cars in a 1 litre 67hp tin can on 55psi skinny Lrr tires! I have 20miles to get home with very few passing spots. The roads have good traction, but it's snowing like crazy out, and people are doing 35-40 in 55mph zones for long stretches. The first three mile hill i'm doing 55mph (the speed limit) and all 20 or so vehicles are crammed in the right hand lane following two large plows and a tanker. I cruise by all of them in the empty passing lane. Once i descend the hill i see 10 vehicles doing 40 in a 55mph. Theres a dotted passing section, so i stagger my speed to hit them at that spot. I look in the oncoming lane and its empty, a miracle! And use my momentum and pass them all in an easy stretch. AWD trucks, subaru's, sportscars, snowtires, everything got left in the dust by a eco car driving the speed limit! I've never made such excellent time in a snowstorm, and i only got 58.5mpg for my trouble.

People in Massachusetts, seriously need to learn how to drive in the snow.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 View Post

People in Massachusetts, seriously need to learn how to drive in the snow.
People EVERYWHERE need to learn how to drive in the snow, that applies here in Ontario as well. Have seen way too many idiots today...

Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sport Compact Driver

Celica Gts - '84 Toyota Celica Gts
Sports Cars
90 day: 26.32 mpg (US)

The Bee - '96 Mazda B4000 4x4 Base
Pickups
90 day: 20.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000neon View Post
People EVERYWHERE need to learn how to drive in the snow, that applies here in Ontario as well. Have seen way too many idiots today...
Same here in western Mt. People do 35-40 mph in a chain of 10-15 cars, 30ft apart. Never understood it, I usually go in the passing lane just to keep from being tailgated, or hit.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
I find it's the stopping distance that regulates my speed. As you say, too many people don't know how to drive in the snow, how their vehicles handle in the snow, or how to not end up in a ditch.

Been dodging plow-laden pick ups backing into the roads all morning.

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Old 02-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have a good feeling for how fast i can go in a straight line and safely keep the car under control. Even though it looked terrible outside, the traction of the road was fantastic! I have some twisting roads too, where slowing down is unavoidable.

All it takes is one person to do 35 in a 55mph zone, and for 5 miles you'll end up with a row of 15 cars that is nearly un-passable. These are two lane roads that need the incoming lane to be completely empty for as far as you can see to be able to pass the whole line safely in the snow. I was just exited that i got home in 30 minutes, but if i missed any of the passing moments it would've taken at least an hour and twenty minutes to get home!

I also hate how some people tend to brake before a hill, and then accelerate up it.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
Timing is everything( with a whole bunch of luck). I like it when the planets align right, traffic parts, and the lights hit green as you approach.

Great mileage on your run, also. I'm not sure that I'll be hitting the 50s until March sometime.

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Reply  Post New Thread