EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   Hypermiling tips for hybrid (Toyota Highlander) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hypermiling-tips-hybrid-toyota-highlander-37305.html)

prr 03-02-2019 03:59 PM

Hypermiling tips for hybrid (Toyota Highlander)

I just got a new to me 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid. It has 120,000 miles on it.

No problems at all, so far.

My question is--is there anything that people can do specific to the hybrid engine, in regards to bringing up their gas mileage? Through a few simple techniques that I have adopted (looking for opportunities to coast, and limiting my in town and freeway speeds), I have been getting at or above the adjusted EPA MPG for both of my prior ICE cars. I'm just wondering if there is anything else, specific to the hybrid engine that I now have, that I can do.

FWIW, with no real MPG reducing effort on my part, I did a round trip yesterday (about 85% being freeway, the rest crowded urban streets 10-30 MPH) and got 25.3 MPG. The adjusted epa mpg for that vehicle is 25 freeway, 27 city.

Tips, anyone?

ksa8907 03-02-2019 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prr (Post 592519)
I just got a new to me 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid. It has 120,000 miles on it.

No problems at all, so far.

My question is--is there anything that people can do specific to the hybrid engine, in regards to bringing up their gas mileage? Through a few simple techniques that I have adopted (looking for opportunities to coast, and limiting my in town and freeway speeds), I have been getting at or above the adjusted EPA MPG for both of my prior ICE cars. I'm just wondering if there is anything else, specific to the hybrid engine that I now have, that I can do.

FWIW, with no real MPG reducing effort on my part, I did a round trip yesterday (about 85% being freeway, the rest crowded urban streets 10-30 MPH) and got 25.3 MPG. The adjusted epa mpg for that vehicle is 25 freeway, 27 city.

Tips, anyone?

There is very little you can do to improve the efficiency of the engine and hybrid system over stock. However, what you should do is ensure the vehicle is operating as well as when new (brakes not dragging, engine operating properly, good wheel alignment, tire pressure, etc.)

The one area you can modify that will make a significant effect is aerodynamics.

prr 03-02-2019 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksa8907 (Post 592529)
There is very little you can do to improve the efficiency of the engine and hybrid system over stock. However, what you should do is ensure the vehicle is operating as well as when new (brakes not dragging, engine operating properly, good wheel alignment, tire pressure, etc.)

The one area you can modify that will make a significant effect is aerodynamics.

Kind of like this?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7d/10...5d946f67ff.jpg

Seriously, what would you recommend? My mechanical skills are sorely lacking, although I have done fluid drain & fills, and a few other items.

ksa8907 03-02-2019 09:17 PM

Ok, maybe we can ditch the aero-mods. Have you checked the efficiency mods and hypermiling tips links at the top of the page?

prr 03-02-2019 09:56 PM

I just did after I read your suggestion. I do some of those, but there are a few I can learn from.

I never thought of the luggage rack as weighing down MPG. I don't think we have ever put any luggage on the rack on our Sienna; I will look at how easy (and costly) it will be to remove those on our Highlander & Sienna.

But thanks for referring me to that list--there are several things I can look at, beyond the ones I have already hard coded into my driving habits (looking for opportunities to coast, & capping my speed). Lately I have started turning off my engine when I'm waiting longer than 7 seconds in a line. Of course that is done for me with the hybrid. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksa8907 (Post 592537)
Ok, maybe we can ditch the aero-mods. Have you checked the efficiency mods and hypermiling tips links at the top of the page?

Ecky 03-02-2019 10:25 PM

Tire pressure up! Stay with what feels safe, of course. I run 48psi in my winter tires as much because I like the handling better.

You might consider pre-warming the engine with a block heater, though I suppose in California the gains to be had are smaller.

jakobnev 03-03-2019 03:50 AM

With a HSD, Pulse and Glide should be quite practical.

Ecky 03-03-2019 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakobnev (Post 592574)
With a HSD, Pulse and Glide should be quite practical.

During most normal driving it should do this on its own when the transmission allows it.

prr 03-03-2019 10:08 AM

Do you mean, be sure they are not underinflated, or do you mean to go above MFG recommendation? I have been doing the latter for a few years--I get them aired up every 2 months. I don't know what PSI winter tires normally can call for.

EDIT: OK I just looked, and saw that winter tires are not normally supposed to be 48 PSI.

So I guess the idea is that a slightly over-inflated tire will cover more ground with the same amount of gas, increasing the mileage?

Both my vehicles recommend 35 PSI cold. I have been doing the Sienna (the other car, in addition to the Highlander) at 40 cold, because I read that doing this will increase the tread life, and my Sienna chews through tires like there's no tomorrow. Would doing this also increase MPG?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecky (Post 592549)
Tire pressure up! Stay with what feels safe, of course. I run 48psi in my winter tires as much because I like the handling better.