EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   I caaan't driiive 55 .... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/i-caaant-driiive-55-a-1343.html)

Harpo 03-10-2008 11:21 AM

I caaan't driiive 55 ....

But I can drive slower and more efficiently.

Howdy guys. I've lurked, listened and learned for a while now. All while searching for a more efficient commuter vehicle. I drive 52miles round trip weekdays. Occasionally, I'll get a good day and ride the Road Bike, getting the training miles in for the commute. However, on most days, I was driving my 2006 RAM 1500 5.7L MDS. I really had it down to a science to get just 16.5mpg on a 80/20 Highway/city commute. Better than most that drive the same setup, but not near good enough.

A real estate transaction brought me some un-anticipated funds, so after a month or so of searching, I found a one owner 2005 Honda Civic VP (auto) w/ 32K, all maintenance records, absolutely perfect in all conditions. I know a manual would have be more of the hot ticket, but we had to cover all family needs. The truck is now isolated to being a Tow Vehicle. The previous owner’s fuel log for the last few months was about 30.2mpg for in-town only. I’m planning on 40+ with only driving pattern changes, then a few more with simple aero mods. That'll reduce my fuel costs by 60%.

-ScanGauge is on order
-Tires are at 45psi
-I did P&G in the truck, so nothing new to this ride
-I'll investigate Upper Grill Blocking first

Questions will ensue in other forums.

Keep it less than 50% TPS or ride your bike!

MetroMPG 03-10-2008 11:33 AM

Hi, Harpo - welcome to the site.

That's quite an upgrade from the truck to the Civic. Sounds like you're on the right track with the to-do list as well.

SVOboy 03-10-2008 11:37 AM

Welcome to the site! Any pictures of the car, :)? Don't forget your fuel log entry!

Also, what kind of bike do you ride?

Harpo 03-10-2008 11:51 AM

Here they be ....

Not the best photo, makes her rear end look kinda skinny. However, this end is were the mods will begin.

http://www.vpha.ufl.edu/~rdeason/Civ...ic_2005_3a.jpg

Here's my other XC gas saver (Specialized Epic):

http://www.vpha.ufl.edu/~rdeason/mtb/DickDeason.jpg

And my P&G setup (Hold 'er Knute, I think she's gonna buck):

http://www.vpha.ufl.edu/~rdeason/66Dodge/sig.jpg

SVOboy 03-10-2008 12:05 PM

I have a Specialized Allez Epic, but it's alittle different from the XC bike, :)

Harpo 03-10-2008 12:15 PM

XC Epic is for gettin' dirty

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 13550)
I have a Specialized Allez Epic, but it's alittle different from the XC bike, :)

Yep. The XC Epic is for gettin' dirty and 2 hours WOT racing. I ride a 1984 Viner (Columbus SL) w/ SR Campy for my commute bike. Get's the job done, and is oh so comfy. I have a QR Time Trial Bike, but it stays on the Computrainer. If you can't measure it, it's not real!

H4MM3R 03-10-2008 12:34 PM

Welcome to the community! Nice looking Honda.

Daox 03-10-2008 01:15 PM

Welcome to the site.

SVOboy 03-10-2008 01:20 PM

Oooh, I computrainer. I'm green with envy!

Harpo 03-10-2008 01:39 PM

Roger

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 13544)
Don't forget your fuel log entry!

I'm happy to say that it'll be another 6 days before she gets filled w/ ScanGauge in place! And, it'll be $35, not $75.:D

SVOboy 03-10-2008 02:23 PM

Nice! That's definitely a good switch, eh?

HotRod 03-10-2008 04:22 PM

Welcome

You sound just like me! gotta love the Ram! Nice car and good luck with your mods! FYI, I was able to get my Ram up to 18 on Hwy after I replaced my Cat with a performance one and installed a K&N. That number made my day!:thumbup:

Harpo 03-10-2008 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotRod (Post 13576)
You sound just like me! gotta love the Ram! Nice car and good luck with your mods! FYI, I was able to get my Ram up to 18 on Hwy after I replaced my Cat with a performance one and installed a K&N. That number made my day!:thumbup:

I've had three round-trips down to South Florida that averaged 19.3mpg, all I-75, gas pump to gas pump. This was No-Load, just me and a MTB Bike in the bed, with average 68mph. It's typical on all highway with the family loaded to get 18-18.2 especially if I keep in at <=70mph. Towing the 6x12 box at (1400lbs.) trailer, it's only 11.8mpg. Towing a big barn door.

boxchain 03-10-2008 06:39 PM

Howdy! Glad to see I'm not the only Civic sedan driver here :D

I'd def look into aero mods considering your driving distance. Are your wipers behind some sort of flap in that pic?

DifferentPointofView 03-10-2008 11:03 PM

Hello! welcome to the site! If you want stuff on grille blocks, theres a lot of info from different people on here. Just take your pick. I think there's stuff on underbelly pans too.

one question... why can't you drive 55? the slower you drive, the longer you'll get to! that's why I like driving 50.

Harpo 03-11-2008 05:29 AM

It was the 70's man .....

Quote:

Originally Posted by DifferentPointofView (Post 13614)
one question... why can't you drive 55? the slower you drive, the longer you'll get to! that's why I like driving 50.

Carry over from the 70's man.

With my Dad, the smartest guy on the planet, I used to argue as a teenager that speed gets you there quicker, thus, the car uses less gas. It's amazing I stayed alive, and grew into a Naval Aviator watching every lb. of fuel as it passed the fuel control.

It's funny, but I've been hypermiling for years, with little effort. I've always gotten the best mileage out of my rides, and even had more fuel at the end of every mission. It's way more important when your fuel stop is at 35K feet, moving 250-300kts and home is a moving, couple hundred foot strip of deckplating. The penalty for running out of fuel is flying a Coke Machine, and there's no shoulder up there!