EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   I caught the gas station cashier skimming off the top. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/i-caught-gas-station-cashier-skimming-off-top-28432.html)

Fat Charlie 03-12-2014 12:44 PM

I caught the gas station cashier skimming off the top.

I had to get gas yesterday. I also have some bills to pay and don't want the gas station holding a bunch of my money hostage for a few days, so I grabbed $40 from an ATM and went to the gas station.

I had to wait while the cashier sold coffees and bottled waters to someone, tapped my foot while she offered a bag for the waters and slowly loaded them. Finally, "$40 on pump 3, please" and ran out to pump my gas. I enjoyed it not taking long, noted it was under 10 gallons and that I should be getting back $6 and change, and went inside.

I had to wait a moment for the guy in front of me, and when he cleared out the cashier looked up and said "pump 3?" and handed me my change. I asked if I could have a receipt, so she turned, tore it off the machine and handed it to me. I hurried out to the car, wrote my mileage on the receipt, reset everything and took off.

A few hours later I got out my phone and entered the numbers. I was excited because it was a long tank and I knew I had good numbers. It came back as 49.087 mpg, which was dead wrong. I examined my receipt: right pump and time, but it read under 9 gallons for $30 and change- not under 10 gallons for $33 and change. I checked my pocket and found two fives, a one and some change. Adding a gallon made the tank 9.434 gallons for $33.58- 43.88 mpg, right where I was expecting the mpg and the money to be. The money in my pocket couldn't make change from $30.02, and then I looked higher up on the receipt and saw it was paid by a card.

I'm on film at that pump at that time. I'm on film paying cash. I've got a receipt for that pump at that time... with the last 4 of a card number that most likely belongs to the cashier.

No good meestah.

UltArc 03-12-2014 12:57 PM

Fringe benefit of photographing your pump usage when it's done- you record what's going on. Following.

sarguy01 03-12-2014 01:11 PM

Is it possible that she grabbed the wrong receipt and had you pay for the wrong pump??

So you ended up paying less for the gas than you were supposed to?

I'd be pissed about my fuel log being estimated since I had the wrong receipt!! (Okay, I don't like thieves, either...)

Fat Charlie 03-12-2014 02:12 PM

No, it was the right pump, and I paid for the gas I used. Adding one gallon to the receipt would bring it into line with my mpg and the money I spent. It's possible that someone used a card at that pump and got out of the lot right before I sighted it (nobody was there when I pulled in), but why would a card used at the pump result in a receipt being printed in the store?

sarguy01 03-12-2014 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 414864)
No, it was the right pump, and I paid for the gas I used. Adding one gallon to the receipt would bring it into line with my mpg and the money I spent. It's possible that someone used a card at that pump and got out of the lot right before I sighted it (nobody was there when I pulled in), but why would a card used at the pump result in a receipt being printed in the store?

if the pump is out of paper, the cashier can print a receipt inside. I thought you said the pump said $33, then you got $11 in change from $40?

justme1969 03-12-2014 02:56 PM

I have

A reciept on my desk where, I bought gas n cigarettes, but at the end of the list is a $20 boost phone card. I did not buy I have a contract phone.
The strange part is it was added without me noticing the extra 20. The station pulled the video and it clearly shows this thief typing the keyboard just as Im punching my acceptance into key pad.
I was credited back the 20 she was fired, and I was allowed to keep my reciept as a reminder to always take 1 more second and view the reciept.
I never knew anything could be added after my pin number and such was imputted. Live n learn

Fat Charlie 03-12-2014 03:47 PM

I didn't get $11 in change. I had a $5 in my pocket, pulled two $20s from the ATM, gave the cashier the $20s, pumped $33+ and got $6+ and a receipt for $30+ worth of gas on a card purchase. If I'd had 11 ones in my pocket, they could conceivably have been change for a $30.02 purchase- but two fives and a one can't do that.

And it was a card.

And the gas was wrong by one gallon- way too round a number.

And the cashier will only print a receipt inside if someone comes in and asks for it, so it would have been gone with the previous customer before I even showed up.

Nothing was stolen from me, and I didn't benefit from someone else's dishonesty. But checking out the cameras would probably find someone ripping the store off for quite a bit.

sarguy01 03-12-2014 04:02 PM

Okay, got it. My math was off!

It really sucks there are dishonest people in the world.

user removed 03-12-2014 04:30 PM

I use American Express to get the additional 3 cents a gallon off. Reciept printed at the pump. Last tank was $3.129 at a Shell station near Hopewell. A little over $3.049 after the discount. I usually never go in the store. I pay the wife with cash when I get home and she gets a little extra cash from the credit card company. Few stations here offer a cash discount or I would go that route .

regards
Mech

Cobb 03-12-2014 06:29 PM

I like to go during lunch and hand the clerk 2 5s and say I want 20 on pump x. Twice I got it too. :thumbup: Guessing it was the clerks last day? :eek: