Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2012, 02:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

* - '00 chevrolet silverado la
2000 silverado

New here, i have a 2000 chevy silverado, 5.3 v8, xcab, 2wd 3" lift 265/65/18 bridgestones, k&N filter, stock exhaust with muffler delete I get avg 15 mpg and need to get better. I drive about 60+ miles a day i carry yard equipment every day, push mower, weedeater, blower, gas can, rake, etc. I need all this stuff everyday so i cant get rid of it, would a rolling tonneau cover help? what about an actual performance muffler like flowmaster or magnaflow? I run castrol syntech, im about to change my rear differential oil should i go synthethic also? what about spark plugs? i was always told factory acdelco is really the best to use. also my truck has 3:42 gears the tires i have are slightly larger than what came stock, not a huge difference, should i go with some 3:73s?

Ive been doing alot of research and im getting desperate ive seen a few different things im willing to try
1. acetone in gas - does this really work? ive seen vids made by people that are not from some company trying to get you tobuy some product seems to work but IDK

2. HHO generators - it seems like a scam but i guess with the correct setup would work, i think doubling your mpg is crazy but a little increase would be nice

3. programmers - seen a few different ones, hypertech makes a e-con programmer, supposed to help fuel economy but again idk

Ive changed driving habits and have gotten mid 16s mpg but thats about it i have a lot of stop and go traffice along with interestate travel every day

again i need some helpful tips would like to get close to 20mpg or better

thanks

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stomper View Post
I drive about 60+ miles a day i carry yard equipment every day, push mower, weedeater, blower, gas can, rake, etc. I need all this stuff everyday so i cant get rid of it
Hello and welcome to the site.

No offense, but I think you're a bit hung up on keeping the truck. All of that stuff would easily fit in the 2003 Toyota Matrix I used to have that pretty easily averaged 35 mpg. If thats not enough room, you can always buy a normal car and carry a trailer (which would give you more room than your truck) and still get WAY better than your very hopeful 20 mpg. At the very least you could get a compact pickup that can average mid to high 20s. You really do have tons of options to get rid of the truck.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

First off: there is no magic bullet to raise your fuel economy 25% (16 to 20 mpg is a 25% improvement).

Well, there is one magic bullet, but I doubt you'll go for it: consider getting a more efficient vehicle. Use a trailer to haul your work stuff. I see guys doing that around here.

1 & 2: Don't waste your money on HHO kits or acetone. Search this forum to find out why.

3: can't comment - don't know enough about programmers.

Your driving style has the biggest impact on your fuel consumption. Get yourself a fuel consumption display (ScanGauge, ultragauge or equivalent) and use it to push yourself further in terms of driving. Instant feedback is critical to honing your technique behind the wheel.

The lift kit increases fuel consumption. The muffler delete may also be hurting (negatively affecting low RPM torque, where you want to be operating the engine for best MPG).

Gearing: the taller the gearing (lower engine RPM), the better, provided you can hold top gear at cruise in your normal driving environment.

A tonneau will help aerodynamics. It will be a marginal improvement (most mods will be marginal). Synth in the rear end will help, again marginally.

I take it you've looked at these:

65+ Efficiency Mods

100+ Hypermiling Tips
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 03-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

i had a 98 mazda protege when i started the job, got around 30mpg which was great but the transmission went out and the cost to fix was around $2000, car wasnt worht that so i sold it for $500 just to get rid of it, right before that went out i spent a lil money in suspension parts and that was pretty much it for the 3yrs i had the car. So my interest in getting another small car has just been spiked again, its just so risky buying a used car because it could turn out like my protege and give me almost 3 yrs of trouble free use or it could crap out the next week. Anyway i think my budget would be around $2-2500 what would be a good car taht gets great mileage, i love the mpg i see some of you get with the geo metros but dont know if i can get past the looks. also need an automatic, wife doesnt care much for manuals. what about some older civics? also dont want a very old car either. i appreciate all of your input

also whats the deal with that gfchips.com i see listed on this forum? is this bogu? if so why would it be allowed on this sight? just wondering
Old 03-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
The ads on the site (any place with google ads) look through your browser history and try to figure out what you might be interested in. They aren't necessarily showing ecomodding type ads.

Check consumer reports and other places that tell you how vehicles are holding up over the years. Then, stay away from the bad vehicles/brands.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Except when CR is wrong.

One thing I've noticed that is practically universal among the jacked up 4x4 young male driver set is that they never shut them off. I mean, they can go into a store or have one of those oh-so-important middle-of-the-road conferences or whatever for however long, and they never shut them off. I don't know if those guys are afraid of starter replacements or what, but having the ability to shut it off will help fuel economy quite a bit.

Another thing is that yes, Mabel, these trucks can be started... and driven straight off! It's true!!!

Old 03-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

2 x wrecked vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 62 mpg (US)
stomper Quote I drive about 60+ miles a day i carry yard equipment every day, push mower, weedeater, blower, gas can, rake, etc. I need all this stuff everyday so i cant get rid of it, would a rolling tonneau cover help?

If your handy you can...
  1. Buy a civic vx hatchback. It already has a tailgate
  2. Cut off the roof behind the "cab"
  3. At this point might as well cut out the window area above the quarter panels
  4. Weld in some sort of floor and cap off your "pickup box side rails"
  5. Build a fiberglass/foam aeroshell to use when your not using your vehicle as a real truck.This will weight at most 30 lbs so you can put it on/off by yourself.
  6. Brag to your friends about your truck that gets 50 mpg with the shell off and 60 mpg with it on

Of course I am joking except for #1 above ....But then again I really want someone to do this so I don't have to. Hell I bet you could even beat those old diesel Vw pickups for the 1980's
Old 03-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Hi, Stomper, and welcome.

If you're an LCO you might have a look at LAWNSITE website to see what others are doing about fuel costs. A smaller vehicle plus trailer might beat out a truck, but city miles are hard when one is pressed to make a schedule. Be sure to work the tax part very carefully (check with CPA about tax-deductible miles).

Lose the lift kit, pronto. A tonneau cover is good if it is also for anti-theft purposes (again, check for tax perspective). Look at some of the "aerolids" around here. Closed-shoulder highway-rib tires -- in stock size -- should be on your list when it's time for replacement.

Do the basics:

- All book maintenance
- Tire pressure
- Perfect alignment
- Zero brake drag
- Zero steering wander
- Like-new shock absorbers, anti-roll and suspension bushings
- Etc

Do you do any route planning? See MAPQUEST and input a few customer addresses (a typical days worth) and use the optimized routing option they make available. This is what FEDEX and the big boys do to eliminate left turns, etc. I was happy to find some real help, here. The "basic" rule is to go to the farthest point first and work back to the shop or house. Get the truck warmed up nice and easy, but thoroughly!!

The best route, driven with new attention, will pay real dividends. Getting the truck as "tight" as possible will help as you wear down during the day. I believe that perfectly clean glass and mirrors, inside and out, is part of this. Less effort for driver means better results, even in small ways like this. In the same way, how's the driver seat cushion? Etc.

Most importantly: Need records of all gallons used. All miles. When they're extra accurate, your efforts to be better will be obvious. That reinforces good behavior on your part. A lot of small stuff (a lot of small stuff) is what adds up to make better FE.

Last edited by slowmover; 03-12-2012 at 12:02 AM..
Old 03-12-2012, 02:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

well upon further research and though, ive decided to save up and will be purchasing a toyota prius hopefully within the next few months and plan on using it for work, with laying the seats down there is ample room to fit the little bit of equipment i have. i will be keeping the truck for when i really need a truck will work on doing mods here and there to improve mileage best i can. and by no means is the truck "jacked up" its the stock height of a Z71(4x4) chevy, many people mistake it for a 4x4 because of the stance, thats all i was going for didnt like the low front end squating grandpa look

thanks for all of your input

Reply  Post New Thread