EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   i-dtec (Honda Diesel) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/i-dtec-honda-diesel-986.html)

RH77 02-11-2008 01:03 AM

i-dtec (Honda Diesel)

Honda unveiled that the "i-DTEC" Diesel engine will appear in an unnamed Acura model in 2009.

So, it looks for those who were hoping for an Accord Diesel may have to spend a few extra coins for a TSX (which the engine has been convenient placed in-tandem for photo shoots). Hints and rumors confirm. ABG.

Emissions = Tier II / BIN 5 (Euro-6) Strict Diesel emission standards. The i-DTEC is a awash with technology and the latest in non-urea exhaust treatment.

Based on the the current 2.2L Euro Accord with the i-CTDi, FE (converted) is...

33 - City
50 - Highway
42 - Combined
(based on the WhatCar? Online Report).

Will Acura customers embrace Diesel tech and efficiency?

RH77

budomove 02-11-2008 01:14 AM

I WANT I WANT I WANT! :eek:

SVOboy 02-11-2008 01:20 AM

What the heck does dtec stand for though?

And isn't the tsx just a rebadged euro accord anyway, ;)

budomove 02-11-2008 01:22 AM

duh, diesel-tec. it does sound pretty doofy. it should stand for doofy-tec.

SVOboy 02-11-2008 01:27 AM

Diesel Timing and Electronic Lift Control? It doesn't make sense to me, :)

budomove 02-11-2008 01:33 AM

copied from autoblog green:

The all-new i-DTEC is the 2nd diesel engine Honda has developed. By further improving the current award winning i-CTDi's superb performance, fuel economy and emission efficiencies, i-DTEC has achieved various stringent emission standards in the U.S., Japan and Europe (Honda test data).

we still dunno what it stands for though. :rolleyes:

budomove 02-11-2008 01:35 AM

here is an explanation of the updates:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007...displays-.html

budomove 02-11-2008 01:42 AM

I want a diesel insight, and I want it now! Oh, can I have one?

RH77 02-11-2008 01:57 AM

intelligent VD-TEC

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 9178)
Diesel Timing and Electronic Lift Control? It doesn't make sense to me, :)

That's because I-DVTEC is too long for a decal. ;) ...or i-VDTEC sounds like something you see a Doctor for...

I was really hoping that it would be an option for the Accord or lesser Hondas -- but this hope has been based on 2006 hopes. The new Accord has plumped up big-time. I'm a bit disturbed with predictions that it would be Acura-only. Why should FE come at a price? Seems counter-intuitive.

But yes, the Euro-Accord = U.S. TSX. Too bad we don't get the Wagon variant here. I would trade our '06 on one -- especially outfitted with an efficient Diesel.

Nevertheless, whatever they call it, the new Diesel should add another option to folks looking for FE. Hopefully the TSX won't grow in size like everything else. Released photos show that this model will become larger as well.

Hopefully Diesel fuel prices remain stable, and that cold-Weather issues are controlled.

RH77

budomove 02-11-2008 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH77 (Post 9183)
I was really hoping that it would be an option for the Accord or lesser Hondas Why should FE come at a price? RH77

ditto. :(

diesels are already more expensive, add luxury car to the equation.

tasdrouille 02-11-2008 08:22 AM

There is a big premium associated with a diesel engine in the manufacturing process to start with. It only makes sense from a marketing point of view to try dillute this premium in the price of an upscale car.

I've only owned vw diesels for the last 11 years (since I was 16 basically), but I can't wait to see what other manufacturers will have to offer within the next 2 years.

NoCO2 02-11-2008 08:46 AM

The good news is, is that now that Honda DOES have a diesel coming to the US. Someone is bound to figure out how to swap one of these into an Accord. You guys said it yourselves. It's just a Euro spec accord and that means, in theory at least, it should fit into the Accord and possibly even a Civic.

budomove 02-11-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoCO2 (Post 9196)
The good news is, is that now that Honda DOES have a diesel coming to the US.

Booya-ka-sha!

Ryland 02-11-2008 09:47 AM

I wonder how long it would take befor someone puts one in an Insight body... I suspect it would be a tight fit tho.

budomove 02-11-2008 10:00 AM

That would be dreamy, I would totally give up the hybrid technology for a diesel engine, but yeah probably half the displacement of this one.

MetroMPG 02-11-2008 10:42 AM

A Canadian market smart diesel into an Insight would be more likely.

What I'm hoping is that the new TSX is as slick as the outgoing one. The outgoing model had one of the lower Cd's in the mass production fleet. .27, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH77
Why should FE come at a price?

Heck, even energy efficient fridges are only available in the fancy models. I tried to buy a SMALL fridge this summer with the Canadian "Energy Star" rating, and learned it was only available on the full-size, full bells 'n' whistles models. *mad*

NoCO2 02-11-2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Heck, even energy efficient fridges are only available in the fancy models. I tried to buy a SMALL fridge this summer with the Canadian "Energy Star" rating, and learned it was only available on the full-size, full bells 'n' whistles models. *mad*
That could possibly be because the little ones don't use that much power to begin with that it's just assumed they are efficient...

budomove 02-11-2008 11:18 AM

Yeah it's sort of like the 30mpg mark. When something is already "great", why make it better, or at least why feel the need to differentiate beyond that level of ordinary greatness.

MetroMPG 02-11-2008 11:20 AM

Budomove: exactly - the "good enough" mindset. But it's not good enough for me.

budomove 02-11-2008 11:27 AM

That's why we're all here, and people ARE waking up...aaaaalllllllllbbbbbbbbeeeeeiiiiiiiiiitttttttt vvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeerrrrrrrryyyyyyyyy sssssssssssslllllllllllooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwlllll llllllyyyyyyyyyyyyy
:D

budomove 02-11-2008 11:34 AM

It is amazing how all us oldtimers from G-S have flocked here, and there are literally none of the G-S veterans still over there.

RH77 02-11-2008 01:12 PM

Low Cd

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 9210)
What I'm hoping is that the new TSX is as slick as the outgoing one. The outgoing model had one of the lower Cd's in the mass production fleet. .27, if I'm not mistaken.

Interesting -- I never realized that it was that low.

Aside from the sheetmetal and overall design, it has a partial undertray and other aero items: spats, etc.

When comparing it to the Integra (0.33 Cd), it seems to hold highway speeds with less throttle input, come to think of it. I just thought it was the throttle-by-wire being more efficient about it.

Too bad it has a huge 4 in it. BUT, better than the trend of having a 6-cylinder in this segment. They certainly had better not do that with the '09.

RH77

MetroMPG 02-11-2008 01:20 PM

Well, you responded to that point and made me nervous, so I went out to double check my memory... and I wasn't making things up!

Quote:

"What's more, when you shut the doors, you can tell by the sound that it's a well-built car. One that also boasts a drag coefficient of 0.27, a large trunk and laudable EPA fuel economy figures of 22 mpg city/31 mpg highway."
http://www.carsdirect.com/acura/tsx/reviews