EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   I got pulled over for an eco mod (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/i-got-pulled-over-eco-mod-26922.html)

Gasoline Fumes 09-11-2013 05:09 PM

I got pulled over for an eco mod

I got pulled over for not having an outside mirror. The officer was OK with my little convex side-view mirror inside the car. No ticket issued.

NYS requirements are a bit vague on whether or not the side-view mirror needs to be outside:
Quote:

Every vehicle must be equipped with a mirror or other reflecting device, adjusted so the operator has a clear and full view of the road and conditions of traffic behind the vehicle. 1968 or newer models must have an adjustable left side-view mirror. All 1970 or newer models must be equipped with an adjustable interior mirror in addition to the required outside mirrors. 1991 and newer models require day/night mirrors.
Source: http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv529.pdf

oil pan 4 09-11-2013 08:44 PM

Their mirror law sound a lot like most states.
But they have added a little bit more.

Yeah the law says "adjustable left side view mirror" doesn't say it has to be an exterior unit.

Gasoline Fumes 09-11-2013 09:35 PM

But then they refer to it as an outside mirror in the next sentence.

Jasen 09-11-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes (Post 390076)

This possess a question. Does it specify minimum dimensions or sq. in.

California98Civic 09-11-2013 09:58 PM

The vagueness only seems like an opportunity to interpret the law. In reality, the officers' interpretations will be what decides if you get pulled over repeatedly, and if you get a ticket. You might get out of a ticket, but not without first getting pull over, repeatedly, and perhaps going to court. And getting out of it once, does not mean another officer will not interpret you as violating the law and ticket you again.

That's why I got pulled over twice, escaping a ticket. I put the driver side back on. Two years without getting pulled over.

For what it's worth, aerohead swears that speed testing with highly sensitive equipment was unable to detect any change in top speed, to the thousandth of an MPH (IIRC) with or without the outside mirrors. His is a fourth gen Civic too.

Sorry you got hassled.

Gasoline Fumes 09-11-2013 10:33 PM

I've had the mirror off most of the time for about 2-3 years without being pulled over. I do reinstall it for inspection every year. I don't know how much the mirror affects MPG, but it sure makes tufts dance on my windows!

XYZ 09-11-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes (Post 390076)

Yes, the statute does say that, and it's specific. There is nothing vague about it.

Easier to put the external mirror back on the car. Unless you want to bait the police officer if and when you are stopped again, after you were let off with a warning.

Those who go looking for trouble will find it. The choice is yours. ;)

Fat Charlie 09-12-2013 01:02 PM

The specification for the side mirrors doesn't require them to be outside the vehicle. They are referred to as outside mirrors to differentiate them from the center mirror.

But police attention can render any mod ineffective. Going to court to get a ticket thrown out is less efficient than not getting pulled over for the same reason.

justme1969 09-12-2013 02:03 PM

mirrors

I stopped by the weight scales located in the middle of my route to ask about mirror deletes.
He came up with the answer 2 days later that pax mirror is optional in MS. as well as the rearview unless visabillity is restricted.
Drivers side was a mandatory but potential to get it enforced was slim except when!!!
With this info I ripped off literally the Pax o/s mirror and "lucky 4 me not all cars will" folded back drivers mirror. It is far from perfect situation but anything that reduces signature @65 - 70 MPH is good stuff.
LONG to short JUST ask the Pros.

basjoos 09-12-2013 04:10 PM

None of the cops who pulled me over for other ecomod quibbles or simply to satisfy their curiosity ever had any problems with my interior side mirrors. Whenever they pulled me over I would ask them if there was anything about my car that wasn't legal. I got pulled over about 12 times for the first couple of years as I aeromodded my car, but now since all of the cops know my car, I haven't been pulled over for the past several years. But SC law just says that you have to have a mirror that allows you see 100 yards behind your car with no specification of an interior or exterior location.

XYZ 09-12-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 390172)
The specification for the side mirrors doesn't require them to be outside the vehicle. They are referred to as outside mirrors to differentiate them from the center mirror.

Quote:

From a NY state statute: "All 1970 or newer models must be equipped with an adjustable interior mirror in addition to the required outside mirrors."
Surely you must be joking. When you go to court in NY, the prosecutor or the judge might ask you "what part of the word OUTSIDE is confusing to you?"

"But I do have outside mirrors, they just aren't on the outside of the vehicle."

Yeah, right... :rolleyes:

Gasoline Fumes 09-13-2013 03:10 AM

My theory is that when they wrote the law, they never imagined anybody would have a side-view mirror on the inside of the car. I can certainly see my mirror being interpreted as illegal, but I don't believe that was the intent of the wording. Should all of a car's mirrors be day/night? The whole thing is poorly written.

I'd really like to know what an "other reflecting device" would be. :D

Phantom 10-04-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XYZ (Post 390309)
Surely you must be joking. When you go to court in NY, the prosecutor or the judge might ask you "what part of the word OUTSIDE is confusing to you?"

"But I do have outside mirrors, they just aren't on the outside of the vehicle."

Yeah, right... :rolleyes:

Thats easy to deal with the law states " All 1970 or newer models must be equipped with an adjustable interior mirror in addition to the required outside mirrors."

It never states what mirrors are required outside. If no mirrors are specifically required for outside then all mirrors can be inside.

XYZ 10-04-2013 10:01 PM

is equipped with an adjustable side view mirror which shall be affixed to the left ou

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 393979)
Thats easy to deal with the law states " All 1970 or newer models must be equipped with an adjustable interior mirror in addition to the required outside mirrors."

It never states what mirrors are required outside. If no mirrors are specifically required for outside then all mirrors can be inside.

It's easy to postulate a defense for a hypothetical challenge of the law as mental masturbation. But you didn't research NY state law. Here it is, specified in NYS statute, section 375, 10-a:
Quote:

It shall be unlawful after July first, nineteen hundred sixty-seven to operate on any public highway in this state any motor vehicle registered in this state, manufactured or assembled on or after such date, and designated as a nineteen hundred sixty-eight or later model, unless such vehicle is equipped with an adjustable side view mirror which shall be affixed to the left outside of such vehicle and which shall be adjustable so that the operator of such vehicle may have a clear view of the road and condition of traffic on the left side and to the rear of such vehicle.
Move to NY, get cited with a summons for having no exterior mirror and tell it to the judge. It's not likely the judge will see it your way. He will probably ask you (in NY fashion): what part of the words "affixed to the left outside of such vehicle" are not explicit enough for you?

Gasoline Fumes 10-04-2013 11:43 PM

Thanks, that's pretty clear! Not only is the location illegal, so is the fact that I can't see behind me with the side mirror. Good thing the cops don't know the law! My window tint isn't legal in NY either. :)

hat_man 10-05-2013 09:14 AM

Didn't someone post a link on here some time back leading you somewhere that had rules for most states on mirrors? I know that sounds vague but IIRC it was here at EM that I found it.

Gealii 10-05-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hat_man (Post 394093)
Didn't someone post a link on here some time back leading you somewhere that had rules for most states on mirrors? I know that sounds vague but IIRC it was here at EM that I found it.

could it be the 1 in the wiki?
Mirror Laws by State (U.S.) - EcoModder