EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   I hate typical honda owners (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/i-hate-typical-honda-owners-31609.html)

Chrysler kid 03-25-2015 11:07 AM

I hate typical honda owners

Let's start with my background, I got my drivers license in 2001 amid the import modding Era when there were actually lots and lots of civics and tuner cars on the road

I manage an auto parts store currently

There are 2 types of Honda owners, ones that buy the car because they know nothing about cars and honda is a reliable car. And then there are the ones who pull out the ac system for extra horse power(I live in Texas where it is above 90 degrees 6 months out of the year)

Mainly ranting because there is a "build thread" on the h-t forum where a member is turning his lean burn hx into a plain y8 so he can turbo it

The car is what it is, 115 hp commuter car. Appreciate it for its uniqueNess. Aftermarket power modifications immediately show me the car is ragged on and used as a boy racer mobile and cars like that always seem to end up in a junk yard or parted out

That's my rant

Frank Lee 03-25-2015 11:33 AM

I hear you. There used to be a Tempo/Topaz forum- believe it or not- and it would have been a decent place were it not for all the idiot youngsters that inherited T/Ts from Grandma and now their only goal in life was to show taillight to Hondas. "Durrr, can I turbo a T/T? Derp Derp Derp."

Fat Charlie 03-25-2015 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysler kid (Post 473006)
I manage an auto parts store currently

I hate typical car owners

Fixed.

drainoil 03-28-2015 12:52 PM

I bought my first Honda from a well respected board member here. It's a vx, obviously the hatchback which has attracted some red light racers that I always refuse to engage. This car is my dd and I strive to get the best mpg possible not beat the tar out of it for short term gratification.

redpoint5 03-28-2015 03:45 PM

I don't understand the mod craze myself, mostly because I have a crotch rocket. My $2,000 stock bike will outperform 99.9% of the cars on the road. It would take a $50,000 or more car to beat the performance of my bike, so I don't see the point.

What's even crazier to me are those who modify the Acura TSX (Euro-Accord) for performance. For much less money, they could have purchased a TL to begin with, or any other vehicle that already has the performance built in. In the process, they ruin the purpose for which the TSX was built; efficient, luxurious commuting.

That said, I do like to learn, and modding a car for max power would be a fun learning process, albeit expensive.

War_Wagon 03-28-2015 03:51 PM

I bought my first Honda to save on fuel when I had my '98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited, it averaged 11mpg. The more I drove the Accord, the more I realized just how useless the Jeep was. The last year I had the Jeep, I put 700 miles on it, the rest was all Accord, then Civic wagon seat time. But I brought the same attitude I had from old muscle cars etc with me to Hondas - "Radio delete? That's cool! No, I'm not changing a thing on it!" Sadly an '88 Civic with factory radio delete is not worth as much as a '68 Nova with the same lack of options, but I just can't bring myself to chop up any old car that has made it this far without someone messing with it.

That being said, if people want to mod Si models or whatever, that's cool with me. I do really hate seeing a base model messed with though. It's like seeing a newer V6 Mustang that someone tried to hot rod - really? The first mod is to sell it and buy a V8 model haha. Same with the Civic VX, you want it to be faster? Sell it and buy an Si!

jcp123 03-28-2015 06:19 PM

In the same boat. I was also licensed in 2001, out in California. If I had a nickel for every fartcanned civic I have ever seen, I'd be wealthy indeed. I would go so far as to say that it soured me on small/Japanese cars for many years afterwards, and partly drove me away from modern cars altogether. I have started to re-embrace modern cars, but not as an option for modding, really, perhaps at most a few light ecomods if that. I still consider modern cars to be disposable plastic...but less so than I used to.

jcp123 03-28-2015 07:21 PM

No, the arroz-burning Civics!

D.O.G. 03-29-2015 03:10 AM

Modifying a vehicle to be something it wasn't intended for, isn't so terrible.

It's what I and many others on this site are doing all the time - we just go in the other direction.

None of the cars I've owned while posting on this site have been economical by design. If I didn't enjoy the challenge, I'd by a used VEi civic - it's highway rating is better than I've ever gotten from the Astina. :rolleyes:

bentring 03-29-2015 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.O.G. (Post 473451)
Modifying a vehicle to be something it wasn't intended for, isn't so terrible.

It's what I and many others on this site are doing all the time - we just go in the other direction.

I think it's not as much the modifying of the vehicles that is irritating as the mindset of the (typical) person performing the mods that is the issue.

You can likely thank Fast and the Furious for the "ricer mod" craze, just like the muscle car trend decades ago with movies like Vanishing Point, Bullitt and Smokey and the Bandit etc.