EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   I Know Nothing About Car Systems (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/i-know-nothing-about-car-systems-27040.html)

jeff88 09-24-2013 12:10 AM

I Know Nothing About Car Systems

I am starting this thread, because sometimes during research, I come across something that I have heard of, but don't know how it works or I am driving and thinking about car stuff, but don't know the answer. So when that comes up, I will have somewhere to go to get the answer (assuming I can't find it elsewhere). :thumbup:

I'll start with an easy one: Why don't we use a refrigerant like R134A to cool the engine (through the radiator) rather than a coolant like ethylene glycol? Is there a benefit that EG has over R134A?

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 09-24-2013 06:25 AM

Pressure, complexity and the risk of leaks.

Daox 09-24-2013 08:45 AM

Add cost to the list (kinda goes with complexity I guess).

rmay635703 09-24-2013 01:29 PM

Add safety, goes with pressure but 134a isn't exactly as environmentally friendly as sliced bread, antifreeze (take your pic of which) is an order of magnitude safer in multiple ways.

If you had that much 134a in one place and it let off it could cause inhalation dangers, not to mention pressure and environmental harm.

rmay635703 09-24-2013 01:30 PM

Makes me wonder though, could the AC system be "heat" powered off the exhaust, sans compressor?

Might be an interesting and very old concept.

jeff88 09-24-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 392321)
Makes me wonder though, could the AC system be "heat" powered off the exhaust, sans compressor?

Might be an interesting and very old concept.

How would that work? Are you suggesting a turbo generator powering an electric A/C? Or maybe the exhaust drives the pulley like a belt?

bryn 09-24-2013 01:52 PM

good luck, should work just fine. Absorption refrigerator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 09-25-2013 01:40 AM

I've already considered to use some sort of absorption refrigeration setup to recover heat from the engine itself and the exhaust and to use it both for intake cooling (with a coil inside the air intake to act like an intercooler) and as a replacement for a regular air conditioneer.

jeff88 09-25-2013 03:23 AM

Any reason why I couldn't use propylene glycol instead of EG? It doesn't have as low of a freezing point, but I don't really have to worry about that in this weather! :p Is there another reason why I wouldn't want to use it?

Also as a side note, why do we not use oil as a coolant? (I know that the engine oil does help with cooling, but I'm not talking about that). Couldn't one use a really thin, maybe 0w-10, oil in a coolant loop? I would think (and read) oil is a better vehicle for heat pick-up and removal.

Ryland 09-25-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff88 (Post 392444)
Any reason why I couldn't use propylene glycol instead of EG? It doesn't have as low of a freezing point, but I don't really have to worry about that in this weather! :p Is there another reason why I wouldn't want to use it?

Cost is the only reason I've found, some people do use it.

Quote:

Also as a side note, why do we not use oil as a coolant? (I know that the engine oil does help with cooling, but I'm not talking about that). Couldn't one use a really thin, maybe 0w-10, oil in a coolant loop? I would think (and read) oil is a better vehicle for heat pick-up and removal.
Again, cost, it would cost you $52 per gallon, oil also it gets thicker when you cool it so you'd need larger passages in the radiator so you'd need more of it and thus more cost and weight, air cooled VW's had oil coolers on them, some motorcycles do as well, but in general they all run much hotter and their cooling is not as even.