EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   I really like this game. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/i-really-like-game-20715.html)

Arctic Fox 02-27-2012 05:16 AM

I really like this game.

Watching how I drive, coasting as much as possible, taking alternate roads that I know have timed lights or less traffic, people asking my why I duct taped the front grilles, making full use of the VeeDub's Triptronic transmission, having passengers ask why I keep shifting and coasting, then showing them the MPG readings at that moment. :)

What I don't like is every single incline no matter how small. Roads, driveways, hills... c'mon, you're slowing me down and wasting my FE! lol

But it's a lot of fun learning and practicing. I appreciate you guys and the information on this website!

99metro 02-27-2012 09:54 AM

I hear you. I have my eyes glued (almost) to the rear view mirror when I approach hills. No one behind me = fun. I can drive my drive. My wife actually enjoys it... more money she can spend at the thrift stores!

MetroMPG 02-27-2012 10:14 AM

It sure is fun when you make it a game.

99metro: kudos on taking following traffic into consideration. I've driven with people who can squeeze insane fuel economy numbers from a vehicle, but to accomplish it they ignore the fact that they're pi$$ing off other drivers!

user removed 02-27-2012 10:28 AM

Every hill is an opportunity. You can store energy in your vehicles increase in altitude, then use that same energy to coast downhill. Some of my best fuel mileage was driving in hills, even mountains as long as you can coast without having to use engine braking or friction brakes.

Think of it as the perfect hill scenario.

Climbing at best BSFC in your highest gear is most efficient use of the engine. Coasting down the other side of the hill allows you to use engine off or engine idling. Even with the engine idling my Insight would get 150 MPG coasting at only 16 MPH. The Altima would get 60 MPG at the same 16 MPH speed.

If you are coasting at 64 MPH, in the insight that was 600 MPG with the engine idling, and 240 MPG in the Altima. Both were automatic transmissions so I just coasted in neutral with the engine running so the transmission pump was still providing pressure for lubrication in the transmission.

In the ideal hill scenario, where you could climb at best BSFC then coast, while maintaining the same speed, it is actually more efficient than regular flat terrain P&G since the constant speed means less total aero drag than the average of peak speed and the lower speed at the end of your glide, due to the exponential increase in aero drag as speed increases.

regards
Mech

gone-ot 02-27-2012 02:35 PM

HILLS = Mother Nature's opportunity to "win back" some of Father Gravity's losses!

Ladogaboy 02-27-2012 09:27 PM

It keeps me entertained. Of course, that's the other reason I switched from a paddle shift back to a true manual.

deathtrain 02-27-2012 11:28 PM

you are right its a game with yourself. just keep trying to beat your self. the outcome will be that you climb the leader board. but just keep in mind you need to beat your self.

ps2fixer 02-28-2012 03:13 AM

I agree it is a great game, and when your winning you save money, better than gambling!

I'm winning when my car goes into some funk/mode that gives crazy mpg figures for the model of the car (50-55mpg @ 45mph vs 40ish mpg)

user removed 02-28-2012 08:43 AM

It's not a game to me (and me alone, so no pissing match). It's a deadly serious effort to be more efficient with the money I spend on fuel. It's a way for me to fight a system that seems to be stacked towards draining my net worth at the gas pump. It's an effort that I have dedicated much more time and finances to making a contribution to a significant change in the status quo, than could ever be recovered in my lifetime in fuel savings.

Saving fuel is the first step in the process, but the real goal is to accomplish a dramatic improvement in how the vehicle itself operates, in such a way that even the least interested driver can benefit from a change in focus in design from today's inefficient vehicles to a form of transportation that maintains extremely high levels of efficiency in all phases of operation.

I started off driving efficiently as a game, but it transitioned to something much more significant, for me and I am enjoying it immensely. Just wish I had the influence to make it happen much more rapidly.

regards
Mech

pete c 03-01-2012 09:12 PM

there is another benefit to the game.

i feel it helps keep me alive.

i am talking about driving tired. i have always had trouble with this. and i am not talking about driving at 2 AM. more often it's 2 PM. something about middle of the afternoon and my body wanting to take a siesta.

aggressive hypermiling forces the driver to pay very close attention to what's going on. and if i am concentrating on hypermiling, i am not dozing off.

it pisses me off that hypermiling is looked upon by law enforcement as wreckless and dangerous. i think it is the opposite.