EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   I think my GY6150 is burned out :( (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/i-think-my-gy6150-burned-out-6267.html)

ASV 12-03-2008 12:12 PM

I think my GY6150 is burned out :(

I went from Phoenix to Kingman AZ and back again with about seven dollars in gas :)
but I think I killed my scoot :(
I started to lose power about seven miles from home
And had to push the last six
so its in the shop
I want to try a taller gear I think it will help with my top speed and reduce friction losses
that and maybe make for a more reliable bike

any body out there have any suggestions on how to make improvements on JMstar scooter
I have already removed about forty pounds of metal and plastic and I have lo R tires
Would a better pipe help or is that a waste of monies

SVOboy 12-03-2008 01:54 PM

What speed/rpm were you at?

ASV 12-03-2008 02:17 PM

speed was 50/55mph and as for rpm I have no tack

gabe502000 06-02-2009 02:45 PM

killed my scoot

There are shops around the country that specialize in Chinese scooters. One such shop is enviromoto in Indianapolis. You can contact the owner jeremy@enviromoto.com He's always glad to help with your questions... Gabe

jonathan150cc 06-17-2009 10:37 AM

If this scoot is something that you use almost everyday, like mine, then I would suggest first trying various combination of roller/slider weights until you find the right mix to allow a speed that you are comfortable with. I would also invest in a tachometer so you know how hard your engine is working in relation to that speed. If you have one of the sport GY6 scoots, then you are in luck. I am currently working on replacing my "non-tached" gauges with a set of OEM gauges that include a tach. I'll let you know how that goes. Having instant feedback from the engine speed is a very basic need for tuning for economical riding.

Changing out your exhaust system might give you a weight savings but that's about it. The factory exhaust on these scooters is not very restrictive. Any performance boost is negligible. I've been there. Trust me. It's a lot for money for not a lot of return. (They are pretty though.)

Also, in order to keep your scoot running right after installing an aftermarket exhaust, you'll have to enrich the carb jetting, which will allow more fuel to flow and, obviously, hurt your mileage.

Did you try cranking the bike after you got it home? You may have just been experiencing heat soak. These little things rely only on the crank fan to keep them cool and keeping them cool is key to their longevity.
I'm also toying around with the idea of ducting some cooling tubes which will blow air from the front of the bike onto the head. We'll see how that does.

ASV 06-18-2009 06:53 PM

The old engine block was trashed.
A hose came loose from the valve cover and blew all my oil on to the road
the piston welded to the cylinder wall. It’s a complete loss

dcb 06-18-2009 07:01 PM

Sorry, but ...
EV CONVERSION TIME!!!

(I'm kind of waiting for my bike to die for that reason)

ASV 06-18-2009 07:13 PM

I have a new gy6 now

And yes I am on the thing every day
I put about a hundred miles a week on my scooter

beatr911 06-22-2009 11:06 AM

Check into a replacement engine. It may take a while to locate but since your dead scooter is nearly new, you could sell one of the two scooters you would have.

jonathan150cc 06-22-2009 03:37 PM

Here is the tachometer install that I promised you.

ScootDawg Scooter Forum - Swapping out stock gauges - RESOLVED w/ pics