EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   I unplugged the idle air bypass (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/i-unplugged-idle-air-bypass-13778.html)

IsaacCarlson 07-05-2010 06:49 PM

I unplugged the idle air bypass

The truck has been wanting to rev a little high between gears and idles high at stop signs every once in a while. I pulled the wire about 5 minutes ago and it idled nice and low the way I like it. Now to test it out.....HMMMM I have a friend that needs brakes done....maybe I will take the truck.

IsaacCarlson 07-05-2010 10:21 PM

......AND GOT 32MPG!!!! I drove from Colfax to Eau Claire and back for a total of 55.xx miles and used approximately 1.7 gallons of gas. I even made an extra stop to help someone who hit a deer(the deer was a complete loss) and had to take off up hill. I have to go back tomorrow so I will see if it comes out the same again. The rpm drops right down to idle between shifts so it enters the next gear perfectly. It idles like silk.
I also plugged the EGR back in....not sure if it works or not but it is plugged in.

RobertSmalls 07-05-2010 11:35 PM

IACV's are annoying, and they're not needed for a smooth idle above a certain engine temperature. In my case, it's around 100°F. You'll probably want to leave yours unplugged until autumn rolls around. I've thought about an IACV toggle switch, but the engine kill switch sort of makes that redundant. 0RPM > 1000RPM. :)

tasdrouille 07-06-2010 07:30 AM

I need to do that to the Elantra. Oh, how I like seeing it rev to 2k rpm as I turn the key on a chilly winter morning! :rolleyes:

320touring 07-06-2010 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasdrouille (Post 182440)
I need to do that to the Elantra. Oh, how I like seeing it rev to 2k rpm as I turn the key on a chilly winter morning! :rolleyes:

My Parents Toyota Avensis (97 year model) does this- it holds 1500 for about 30 secs after start up- seems to be an inbuilt way of getting the engine toe temperature quicker..

has anyone compared the time and fuel required vs not having it?

comptiger5000 07-06-2010 09:22 AM

My Jeep isn't too bad with the IAC. It revs to 1500 and settles right back down on startup (when cold, about 1200 when warm). I think my coolant temp sensor is reading too warm though, as it doesn't do the 900 rpm cold idle that it's supposed to unless it's below 30* when I start it. If I fire it up on a 60* morning, it drops right to normal curb idle (and yes, the IAC works).

dcb 07-06-2010 09:59 AM

The saturn was annoying on restart, like it would jump to 1800 rpm for a couple seconds.

I just waited till it was warmed up with some accessories on and idling nicely, and unplugged it. I don't need the engine to rev up every restart (which is a lot)

Dr. Jerryrigger 07-08-2010 02:31 AM

My Subaru jumps up to 2,200RPM (2,000 before i used synthetic) and takes about 90sec to drop to 1000, and it idles at ~600. I really should do something about that.
My ex has a dodge Dakota with a busted IACV. It had a broken vacuum hose, so I replaced that, but that only helped the vacuum leek. It would stall out now and then if you didn't have a feel for when it needed a little air. Once it stalled in the middle of a bad intersection, but I kept it rolling as I popped into N and cranked it. I can see why cars have them, but I don't want mine to :p
Any CEL reaction to the unplug-it approach? It seems like such a simple thing that it wouldn't.... well maybe on a 09 or 10 (but I will not be driving one of those for a least ten year)

comptiger5000 07-08-2010 08:20 AM

In my Jeep, unplugging the IAC is an instant CEL. When you plug it back in, the light clears after 2 or 3 drive cycles.

RobertSmalls 07-08-2010 09:56 AM

Dr. J: Let us know if the Subaru throws a CEL.

You should be able to create a fake IACV for the computer to look at. If you don't want to spend a bunch of time at RadioShack, then you could just zip-tie a junkyard IACV next to your throttle body and plug in to that for the summer.

Or perhaps you could create a restriction in the IACV air passage. Be careful that your restriction doesn't get sucked into the engine; the pressure across a throttle plate is enormous.

Dr. Jerryrigger 07-08-2010 12:02 PM

or just cut the mechanical connection, though it would be nice if I could put things back to stock with ease.
I'll mess with that after coffee.

tasdrouille 07-08-2010 12:14 PM

You can always choke the valve by placing a gasket with a smaller hole between the IACV and manifold. That will tame things down.

RobertSmalls 07-08-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasdrouille (Post 182791)
You can always choke the valve by placing a gasket with a smaller hole between the IACV and manifold. That will tame things down.

That probably is the best solution, since the IACV will still work, just with less intensity.

IsaacCarlson 07-08-2010 12:39 PM

No CEL in the truck. I still need to try driving the car with it unplugged. I unplugged it and then started it up and it slowly built revs until I shut it down. Not sure why. I will try it again and drive it.

The truck works great! It almost dies on cold start but a tap of gas will cure that. Not much power on cold cylinders. I REALLY don't like those 2000 rpm on COLD winter starts. It will be getting a switch/rheostat this fall.

The car revs to 3500 rpm to warm up when it is -30° or colder!!!!! NOT GOOD!!!! I don't like to see those kinds of rpm on a cold engine with no oil flow.

Dr. Jerryrigger 07-08-2010 12:48 PM

Okay, so with a little googling I've found that my car has a CEL code for the IAB, but the IAB has some manual adjustments... I've got some playing to do, I just wish it wasn't so darn hot and sticky out today...

IsaacCarlson 07-08-2010 01:07 PM

I was looking at my throttle body and I have an adjusting screw for the closed-throttle position. Maybe give it a hair turn?

comptiger5000 07-08-2010 01:33 PM

Turning it up a hair won't hurt. As long as it idles no higher than 850 or so in neutral when fully warm, you're fine.

IsaacCarlson 07-08-2010 02:17 PM

I will probably turn it up a hair then.